• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66 in multiple ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Alright gang

I was just wondering whether 66's can operate in multiple, ie double headed with 1 driver.
I was talking to an EWS shunter last night, in charge of a 59 and 18 100ton wagons, we were talking about how only a few Eastleigh blokes sign 59's {the driver was being delayed and looking hard pushed to get back to Westbury without running out of hours}.
I was thinking that maybe they could of brought a pair of 66's from Eastleigh, stuck 'em on the train and taken the train plus 59 to Westbury {i'm not sure if 1 66 could manage that lot, but thinking back, it was the empty working}

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
I've seen doubleheaded stuff, but that was with the 2nd loco DIT. I'd say the top and tailed freightliner was also only one working loco as the wagons don't have through wiring for top and tailing

No they were both running because it was on a jumbo and the ews one i saw were on a jumbo aswell so they were both running! Plus the sandite EWS trains both engines are running!

Coxster

Established Member
No they were both running because it was on a jumbo and the ews one i saw were on a jumbo aswell so they were both running! Plus the sandite EWS trains both engines are running!
Saw some T'n'T EWS 66s at Richmond today on the RHTT. Both locos were definately running.

Nat the Ned

The RHTT class 66 are definately both working, the train is 'through wired', this is the same with DRS class 20/37. You can tell when class 66s are working in multiple, look to see if the jumpers are connected, its the yellow circle socket thing smack bang in the front middle of the yellow panel on the front end!!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Class 59/66/67 all use the AAR multiple working system.

So the following combinations are possible;
59+59
59+66
59+67
66+66
66+67
etc etc etc

Through wiring allows top-n-tail multiple working (think Arriva 37/4s on the Settle-Carlisle etc).
However, when driving a 67+59 or 66 with the 67 leading, the speed has to be kept to the maximum speed of the slower locomotive (i.e 75mph for 66s + 59/2s, 60mph for 59/0/1s).

TheSlash

Established Member
I've seen the jumper receps, but never seen the jumper, so i wasn't sure if it was actually used.
I'm familiar with through wired stuff, we had enough of it with the old slammers :glasses7:
Cheers for the info, especially Jamster for the breakdown of what can work with what.

TheSlash

Established Member
With respect to other posters, through wiring intermediate vehicles such as wagons is a piece of ****.
Basically if a loco can work in multiple with other loco, to achieve this in top and tail mode, all you do is run wires between the 2 trains, through jumpers. It's the kit on the loco that does the clever stuff

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Yup thats true matey. Only thing you have to make sure is that the through wire has the correct heads on it in order for it to fit the MW socket on the locos.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I'm still not sure.

Saw an RHTT today with EWS Sheds on. What I can say for sure is that both locos were "running", although I would need some convincing that the rear loco was actually doing anything other than idling. For workings such as these, it makes sense to operate in this way rather than having the trailing loco DIT. Because of the number of times the crew would need to change ends, it is more efficient to use one loco and have the other idling (but otherwise DIT) than having to shut-down and restart locos each time.

As for through-wiring, I'm personally not aware that any freight stock has this capability. Perhaps Sheds (and others...?) carry seriously long jumpers on drums that can be payed-out down the length of a train to permit this form of working, but I just don't know.

one TN

kestrel

I'm still not sure.

Saw an RHTT today with EWS Sheds on. What I can say for sure is that both locos were "running", although I would need some convincing that the rear loco was actually doing anything other than idling. For workings such as these, it makes sense to operate in this way rather than having the trailing loco DIT. Because of the number of times the crew would need to change ends, it is more efficient to use one loco and have the other idling (but otherwise DIT) than having to shut-down and restart locos each time.

As for through-wiring, I'm personally not aware that any freight stock has this capability. Perhaps Sheds (and others...?) carry seriously long jumpers on drums that can be payed-out down the length of a train to permit this form of working, but I just don't know.

one TN

The RHTT wagons have the cable fitted, i'll have a look next time i pop down to Didcot, they certainly did last year and the year before with 67's, its not hard to do just some cable played through the wagons, i would imagine that the RHTT wagon fleet is split into 2 groups those fitted with the DRS type through cable and the other group fitted with AAR type.

we're only talking 2 wagon lengths here not a full length intermodel!!

kestrel

Fair enough for RHTT's, but someone else was mentioning Jumbo Intermodals.

2 Sheds for an RHTT...? Seems a bit like overkill to me. ;)

one TN

The chap who mentioned intermodal's was either mistaken or in cloud cuckoo land!!, the FL trains mentioned were T&T with the rear loco DIT.

Does seem overkill but with the frequent changes of direction it makes sense to T&T, and if i remember rightly if the loco is idling it either has to be manned (in case of fire) or have a remote fire suppression system.

The DRS RHTT's are T&T and in multiple albeit with more suitable class 20's

class 59/66/67 can operate in multiple up to a maximum of 3 locomotives using their ARR multiple jumper, with a mix of all 3 types

Hentis

The RHTT class 66 are definately both working, the train is 'through wired', this is the same with DRS class 20/37. You can tell when class 66s are working in multiple, look to see if the jumpers are connected, its the yellow circle socket thing smack bang in the front middle of the yellow panel on the front end!!

a Bit like this:-

66416Harrow&Wealdstone031106c.JPG

and on the top end

66418Harrow&Wealdstone031106a.JPG

These replaced the dirty ones below (they caught me off guard)

66407+66409Harrow&Wealdstone031106.JPG

Cheers

Hentis

kestrel

Are you sure about that???

I thought the 'bent' DRS 37s employed TDM multiple working whereas class 66s are AAR???

you're right!

DRS 37's (bent ones) only compatable with equvilent bent 37's and the DRS 20's only.

Class 66's no matter what colour! can only couple up to an AAR equiped loco (ie all 66's/59's/67's)

Its funny just because people see a 66 and a 37 together they must be in multiple! err no DIT!

The non bent 37's are blue star so could work with any other blue star equiped locomotive ie 20's 31's 37's etc

Status
Not open for further replies.