• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66 Sleeper drags

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
It was suggested I start a new thread to see if anyone knows the answer to something that's been bugging me.

Last night, the Caley Sleepers were apparently 66-dragged from Carstairs to Beattock, and when the WCML was flooded a couple of months back, the same traction was used on the S&C.

Since 66s can't supply ETS, does anyone know how power is supplied to the coaches? Does the (seemingly dead) 90 play a role somewhere?

Ta in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil6219

Some class 66s can supply ETH/ETS, though the vast majority don't have it. A few months ago I filmed 66165 & 66003 on a railtour, there was no generator carriage so the supply had to come from one of the locos. The video of that is found here

Phil 8-)

John55

Some class 66s can supply ETH/ETS, though the vast majority don't have it. A few months ago I filmed 66165 & 66003 on a railtour, there was no generator carriage so the supply had to come from one of the locos. The video of that is found here

Phil 8-)

As the coaches on the railtour were all Mk1 and early Mk2 they don't need head end power. They have generators driven from the axles and batteries to power each coach individually.

Royston Vasey

Established Member

Phil 8-)

Is this true? Never seen anything about this before. Wouldn't this warrant a separate subclass? After all, virtually any minor cosmetic change seems to warrant a new subclass of 66s!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is this true? Never seen anything about this before. Wouldn't this warrant a separate subclass? After all, virtually any minor cosmetic change seems to warrant a new subclass of 66s!

As above it seem to be a mistake. The poster forgot that some coaches don't need ETS.

Status
Not open for further replies.