• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66057 runs away & derails

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
'66057 has run away from Blake Street, through Lichfield City and Lichfield Trent Valley and derailed at Alrewas. '

No more info at present.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
haha take that shed!
On a more serious side, sounds pretty bad!

AlexS

Established Member
Not that bad, hit 60 mph, but didn't hit anything much, if you get me. No passenger trains, cars, goods trains or anything else. Demolished a few crossing gates though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very lucky. It derailed on the Lichfield TV - Burton line, which is normally freight-only so it won't affect passenger trains.

For many reasons a very lucky escape.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Surely the Handbrake should have protected this Locomotive from running away? And if they were in any doubt that the Loco's handbrake might not hold it, they should have Scotched the locos wheels.

Craig

Established Member
Jamie C. Steel said:
Surely the Handbrake should have protected this Locomotive from running away?
Obviously it didn't. Perhaps it wasn't applied fully. IIRC there was an incident at Edinburgh Waverley (last year?) where a 90 ran away from the Motorail bays because the handbrake wasn't applied fully.

Dave A

DescendingSadly said:
All together now!

The runaway train went down the track and she blew , she blew

:lol:

LOL. Whoo Whoo. LOL :lol: :lol:

Glad no-one was hurt. Hmm. I didn't know this could happen actually. You learn something new everyday ;) :P

TheSlash

Established Member
Craig said:
Jamie C. Steel said:
Surely the Handbrake should have protected this Locomotive from running away?
Obviously it didn't. Perhaps it wasn't applied fully. IIRC there was an incident at Edinburgh Waverley (last year?) where a 90 ran away from the Motorail bays because the handbrake wasn't applied fully.
Are you thinking of the one that ran away and into a possession outside the station. The signalman got an award for realising it was running away and phoned the COSS or someone on the worksite to warn them i think.
I went to a run away train incident in my first week on the railway, pretty scary at first, especially as it had passengers on and was only stopped when it had a low speed collision with another passenger train

TheSlash

Established Member
BTW the clue with the 66 derailment is that it took a ballast train into the worksite but ran away light engine. Why would an engine be shunting its train in a re ballasting site?

Status
Not open for further replies.