• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66731 NHS Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

GB Railfreight, one of the UK’s largest rail freight operators, decided to mark the fifth, now weekly ‘clap,’ by repainting one of its freight locomotives and unveiling it at 8pm just as millions of people across the UK were stepping outside their front doors to thank the frontline workers who are putting their lives on the line to save countless others across our hospital and care homes.

fgwrich

Established Member
Now named in honour of Captain Tom Moore as part of his Birthday Celebrations and outstanding fundraising contributions. Well done to GBRf and Happy Birthday Tom Moore!

GB Railfreight thanks Capt. Tom Moore for his NHS fundraising with loco naming

66731-Nameplate-NHS-Logo-1024x576.jpg

News / April 30, 2020
GB Railfreight, one of the UK’s leading rail freight operators, has thanked Captain Tom Moore for his fundraising efforts for the NHS with a birthday surprise – a freight locomotive named in his honour.
A 129-tonne, Class 66 freight locomotive, will be named ‘Captain Tom Moore’, with the added inscription ‘A true British inspiration’. The name plates were produced by Procast, one of which has been kindly donated by Neil Booth, Director of Railwayana Auctions UK Ltd, as a thank you for Captain Moore’s amazing efforts.
The naming took place to coincide with Captain Moore’s 100th birthday (30 April). The name plate which will now adorn the locomotive, was unveiled by GB Railfreight Managing Director John Smith, with Captain Moore watching the ceremony from home.
Captain Moore won the hearts and minds of the nation, raising over £29,000,000 for the NHS. GB Railfreight was keen to do its bit to thank NHS workers for their extraordinary efforts during this period and decided to paint a locomotive with a message of gratitude from GB Railfeight to the NHS. Given Captain Moore’s inspirational story, it was decided to name the locomotive after him.
GB Railfreight is playing its part in supporting the UK’s COVID-19 response by helping to keep essential services running across the country and ensuring that warehouses and supermarkets remain stocked, and vital medical supplies are transported across the country whilst ensuring all of our team are being kept as safe as possible.
66731-Locomotive-300x169.jpg

John Smith, Managing Director of GB Railfreight said:
“Happy birthday Captain Tom! On behalf of myself and the whole team at GB Railfreight I wanted to offer a huge ‘thank you’ for your fantastic efforts in raising money for the NHS. We are in awe of your achievement. We thought we were good at fundraising but you have achieved a level that is quite simply inspiring.
“Last week we unveiled one of our freight locomotives in thanks to our wonderful critical workers at the NHS by painting it in their colours. In honour of your efforts, we are very proud to name this locomotive after you.”
“After today, it will be pulling crucial rail freight throughout the country helping to supply the NHS. It will also help deliver food to people’s tables and kick start the country’s economy as we move forward from the current difficulties. Thank you again for all of your efforts.”
Lifelong rail enthusiast Neil Booth, Director of Railwayana Auctions UK Ltd, said:
“I was inspired by the sheer tenacity and conviction of the fundraising task for the NHS that Captain Tom Moore had set himself and thought that it would be a wonderful idea to name a locomotive in his honour on his 100th birthday. Once we had his family’s permission to do so, we very quickly had the nameplates cast, had Sir Peter Hendy CBE, Chairman of Network Rail and John Smith, Managing Director of GBRf on board along with his management team and staff who have bent over backwards in providing a more than suitable locomotive to be honoured in this way. I just can’t thank everyone enough for their sterling efforts in making this happen within just seven days.”
-ENDS-
About GB Railfreight
Founded in 1999 and headquartered in London, United Kingdom, GB Railfreight is the third largest rail freight operator in the United Kingdom, with a turnover expected to exceed £200 million in 2019. GB Railfreight is one of the fastest growing companies in the railway sector and transports goods for a wide range of customers.
For further information, please contact:
[email protected]
Visit www.gbrailfreight.com

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
800025 was named yesterday, too, for the centenarian. I hope he doesn't feel overwhelmed by the attention!

Already posted here:-

northernbelle

Now named in honour of Captain Tom Moore as part of his Birthday Celebrations and outstanding fundraising contributions. Well done to GBRf and Happy Birthday Tom Moore!

This follows GWR who named 800025 in his honour yesterday:
Captain Tom: Train named in honour of NHS fundraiser

northernbelle

tmThe GWR naming is a result of considerable pressure from the public and colleagues to do so. I'm sure you know as well as I do that Hitachi does not permit GWR to drill holes into its Aluminium bodyshells to fix steel nameplates to the side, so a nicely designed vinyl will have to do instead. It does make it easier to change to 'Colonel' from 'Captain' as now appears prudent...

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member

northernbelle

It certainly hasn't taken Hornby long to produce a model of this one either.

Personally, the GBRf version is a lot smarter. I'm really not a fan of the pictograms GWR seems to use in their "names", and you just can't beat the look of a proper cast plate.
Each to their own. Personally I feel a traditional cast nameplate would look a bit silly bolted to the sleek lines of an 800, not that I have anything against cast nameplates having designed a few in the past!

Status
Not open for further replies.