• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66734 latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
Off topic now? I'd say it's off topic completely since its titled 66734 latest.

But, since you ask, 048 is still in a rather battered state at Toton isn't it? Oh yes, with a knackered power unit kindly donated by 66005 if I remember correctly?

Yes but it is about knackered 66's and someone did mention 048 a few posts ago, so not entirely.

So 005 took the working power unit and now 048 has 005's old, knackered one? Seems an odd decision to cut up a 12 year old loco when it just needs a power unit, or have I missed something else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Don't worry, there's plenty of 66s around for you to spot instead :P

I always wonder why our FOCs ordered so many while a lot [of relatively modern 60s and some other types in semi-decent nick] are now in storage...

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
Seems an odd decision to cut up a 12 year old loco when it just needs a power unit, or have I missed something else?

Nothing unusual about that at all, especially as it suffered accident damage, as seen in post #32.

In the 1970s the Western Region withdrew its diesel hydraulics en-mass, just because they were considered to be 'non-standard'. Many of the locos barely had 10 years service, and in many cases there was absolutely nothing wrong with them.

sprinterguy

Established Member
What did this 66 hit or get hit by..?
66048 suffered a brakes failure at Carrbridge due to adverse weather conditions at the start of January 2010 and was derailed by the pointwork to the south of the station while working a recently won contract for Stobart Rail on an Inverness to Mossend container service. The loco suffered considerable damage when it slid down the embankment in the course of the derailment, being stopped by the trees.

The original thread on the derailment is here:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29352

In light of the nature of the derailment, I wouldn't say that talking about 66048 is going very far off topic at all.
How many other 66's have been withdrawn apart from the below..?

66 734
66 521
66 048
I'm not sure that 66048 has been officially withdrawn yet. However if it has, then that's the lot.

D365

Veteran Member
They weren't planning on the worst recession and depression since the 1930s?

To be honest, I wish EWS/DBS could have kept the 60s in service or had some more 57s converted instead of the 66s. But hey, it's not like they're ever going to be short of motive power today.

12CSVT

Established Member
To be honest, I wish EWS/DBS could have kept the 60s in service or had some more 57s converted instead of the 66s. But hey, it's not like they're ever going to be short of motive power today.

That was probably more to do with the fact that when EWS first started their owners were on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. The 56s, 58s, 60s and 90s would have almost certainly lasted a few more years in traffic if a British company had taken over the freight operations in the mid-1990s.

Brian Aylott

Don't worry, there's plenty of 66 around for you to spot instead :P

I always wonder why our FOCs ordered so many when a lot are in storage...

Perhaps you could enlighten us all (RSL, FOCs, enthusiasts etc) with a list of all the stored Class 66s

As we all know there are 2 awaiting decision following damage caused by derailments

Any in Pool WNTR are under overhaul/repair

Brian

D365

Veteran Member
Perhaps you could enlighten us all (RSL, FOCs, enthusiasts etc) with a list of all the stored Class 66s

As we all know there are 2 awaiting decision following damage caused by derailments

Any in Pool WNTR are under overhaul/repair

Brian

I was referring to the 60s primarily in that last sentence, but didn't make it clear. I have checked several fleet statuses on WNXX. Sorry.

dstrat

I've had an earth shattering idea......get ready for it.....why not just leave it there?

What is the major obsession with moving it cocooning it or whatever? If it can't be cut up for scrap - just leave it. Its in the middle of nowhere, its not going to affect anybody.

Surely the people making the decisions have thought about this? Or is this problem not all dealt in-house and with perhaps being a bit cynical, are palms going to be greased by this 'issue'?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I believe there will be certain environmental concerns about just leaving there. We may get to a situation where they decide to leave the shell there but to drain it of all fluids and remove the engine (valuable and probably not to big to be craned out though even that would be quite an undertaking). But I don't see an outcome of just deciding to leave it there untouched.

507 001

Established Member
I think the biggest concern is if there is another landslide and the thing lands in the loch?

D365

Veteran Member
Chuck Norris was rumored to be walking the Scottish highlands in the dead of the night - the only evidence we have of this is 66734...

If the shell (it's been almost fully stripped?) was retrived, I wonder what could be done. I'd imagine spares, but a little imagination never hurt anyone!

GB

Established Member
that may be so, I still wouldn't like a 100 odd ton loco at the bottom of a loch!

Why? Providing there is nothing toxic for the environment I don't see an issue. In fact it can help marine life much the same as they do when they sink old ships.

DXMachina

If they let the 66 go in the loch they'll have to allow Class 70s a swim whenever they feel too hot....

Also I think the sinking of ships to create reefs only really works in the more forgiving and absorbent arena of a sea... depends on there being life ready and lined up to absorb anything that would otherwise pollute?

BestWestern

Established Member
Presumably the remoteness of this location would make any sort of artificial diving 'reef' type attraction a non-runner?

eastdyke

Established Member
Presumably the remoteness of this location would make any sort of artificial diving 'reef' type attraction a non-runner?

Access would be difficult, the valley sides are steep and this steepness continues underwater.

It seems that Loch Treig was increased in both size and depth in the late 1920's by construction of the Treig Dam. The West Highland Line was diverted as part of the enabling works.

The reservoir created resources which are part of the Lochaber Hydroelectric Project.

I have seen apparent references to small part use as a public water supply but have so far been unable to verify them (partly as I do not understand Environment Agency jargon).

fgwrich

Established Member
So has it just been left there for now?

Seems so. Mind you, GBRF's 3 'new' 66s should have already entered the country today, and with the rumours / news from WNXX that GB could be doing a 4 loco hire arrangement with DRS - will 734 return? In short, i don't know.

WNNX Latest News 17/12/12
DRS/GBRf loco tie up...?
The rumour that DRS have been looking at hiring Class 92s from GBRf (Europorte) has been around for a couple of months or so. There's now indications, as yet unconfirmed, that some kind of deal is being worked out whereby DRS will get to use of a couple of Class 92s for WCML intermodal work whilst GBRf get to use four DRS Class 66s. Currently DRS deploy four Class 66s, two pairs doubled headed, on two intermodal diagrams.

http://www.railmedia.be/foto2012/P6/index.html

I wonder if GBRf / Europorte could also be looking around Europe at the moment too.

cj_1985

Seems so. Mind you, GBRF's 3 'new' 66s should have already entered the country today, and with the rumours / news from WNXX that GB could be doing a 4 loco hire arrangement with DRS - will 734 return? In short, i don't know.

http://www.railmedia.be/foto2012/P6/index.html

I wonder if GBRf / Europorte could also be looking around Europe at the moment too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maartenschoubben/8292071688/ by "Maarten Schoubben" taken yesterday showing the "new" class 66s being moved to Frethun for dispatch through the tunnel

As for looking around europe for other available locos... it would make sense, the fact that they have done/are doing this work with these 3, shows that it is possible to convert Euro spec 66s to UK spec, so makes it easier than being limited to just looking for off lease UK spec locos

fgwrich

Established Member
Stupid question and off-topic slightly....

Is that a Europe version of a 67?

Sort of and sort of not. It's the european spec Vossloh Eurolight, who brought the Valencia plant from Alstom - and continued with the designs, so it's more the 67s newer brother.

Also very similar to what DRS has just orderd - Class 68s.

millemille

Very interesting pics, though I'd have to say it doesn't look quite as remote and inhospitable as I was expecting. Surely some form of rail-mounted crane would be able to lift that, perhaps if it were initially dragged back toward to line a few feet?

Any ideas what the grey posts are in the final picture?

UK rail cranes have a SWL of 75 tonnes, but that's only achievable with minimal reach and with decent footings.

There was a derailment at Haywards Heath in 1991 where a 57 came off and ended up down a bank and this required a substantial amount of work involving weeks of civil engineering work to dig and shore a rebate by the track side to lift the loco from and create concrete lifting footing by the track as well.

The loco had the bogies and power pack removed to reduce weight as much as possible and was then jacked/airbagged into the rebate position where a pair of rail cranes could lift the pieces onto wagons.

The cost of repeating this kind of exercise is most likely more than the vehicle is worth....

Status
Not open for further replies.