• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66734 latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Havent heard anything (fact or otherwise) re the cutting of 734 which was advised as expected to be happening this summer? Anyone got any news?

Cheers
Simon

From an internal source "An agreement has been reached to cut up 66734 which still resides near Loch Trieg in Scotland. The cost of this is substantial but some what less than the £3.5m quoted to get it back in one piece! Work will start in about 2 months."

Was posted about June I think

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gronky

Hi HSTfan!!!
Does anyone know who the underwriter is? I would very much like to talk to them to save them a lot of money.
I have had a look at this and with my associates, who have some special equipment, and between us we think that the recovery operation is feasible for approximately half of that write off value.
Any insider knowledge or contacts gratefully received by PM or otherwise.
Thanks

jopsuk

Veteran Member
that's quite some work site created- everything brought in by train, or has some come by boat?

tra1nsp0tter

Hi HSTfan!!!
Does anyone know who the underwriter is? I would very much like to talk to them to save them a lot of money.
I have had a look at this and with my associates, who have some special equipment, and between us we think that the recovery operation is feasible for approximately half of that write off value.
Any insider knowledge or contacts gratefully received by PM or otherwise.
Thanks

Take it you didn't get the job then?...:lol:

38Cto15E

I have passed this site on a couple of occasions and it is extremely remote. It must be very difficult to get the staff and equipment on site, perhaps the workers are sleeping at the site to ensure the work is completed more quickly.
They certainly wont be nipping to a McDonalds or Wetherspoons. :)

Gronky

Yep, tra1nsp0tter you are correct.

When I finally managed to get the right contact for the correct person, they were very interested. However they had just confirmed the contract for break up and recovery of the locomotive so they were already committed to that method.

I believe that everything came in by rail and was accessed from the top of the site with considerable consolidation work but I do not know the detailed recovery plan.

What you have to pay to be lectured to by a photographer!:shock:

Its only the main site that is paid (a tenner a year, not really going to break the bank is it?!), but the forum is free with no extra fee to pay for all that lecturing, etc... :D

38Cto15E

I saw on the Virgin Media text service that the WHML is closed between Crianlarich and Fort William this weekend for engineering works.
Could it be that 66734 is finally being removed from its resting place?

Boothby97

Established Member
I saw on the Virgin Media text service that the WHML is closed between Crianlarich and Fort William this weekend for engineering works.
Could it be that 66734 is finally being removed from its resting place?

No, it's been cut up and removed already

Status
Not open for further replies.