• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66734 latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEAN MURPHY

Acording to WNXX-

66734 written off...
66734 (GBZZ) on the bank side of Loch Treig is now showing N/FOR which is the official code for a locomotive being written off. This is understood to be a fairly recent development although the articles in the National Railway Media suggest it was written off some weeks ago. As to what to do with 66734 its looking like recovery or salvage has been deemed logistically impossible and that, once cleaned out and anything recoverable recovered, the body will be cocooned and buried on site.

Dean

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Acording to WNXX-

66734 written off...
66734 (GBZZ) on the bank side of Loch Treig is now showing N/FOR which is the official code for a locomotive being written off. This is understood to be a fairly recent development although the articles in the National Railway Media suggest it was written off some weeks ago. As to what to do with 66734 its looking like recovery or salvage has been deemed logistically impossible and that, once cleaned out and anything recoverable recovered, the body will be cocooned and buried on site.

Dean

I find it hard to believe the body will be cocooned and buried on site. Cocooned in what?

DEAN MURPHY

I know this may be illogical-and stupid, but once empty of everything and 'washed out'of oil and diesel, with permission, could they not roll it down the bank to the side of the loch, and with boat cranes or helicopter, drag in it into the middle of the loch at its deepest part and sink it instead? Less chance of people trying to do it up?!

Just a thought!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I know this may be illogical-and stupid, but once empty of everything and 'washed out'of oil and diesel, with permission, could they not roll it down the bank to the side of the loch, and with boat cranes or helicopter, drag in it into the middle of the loch at its deepest part and sink it instead? Less chance of people trying to do it up?!

Just a thought!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You cant just dump several tonnes of metal into a loch!

DEAN MURPHY

Just a thought-thought it was a daft idea!
I suppose they could turn it into a 'locottage' at £60 per night!! Lol!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just cut it up and remove the little pieces compared to a cocooned burial?

mbonwick

Established Member
There's no way of getting floating or road cranes to the site, so any lifting will have to be done from the rails.

I honestly can't see it being buried - once they've stripped anything useable out, its not much more effort to get the ocy-acet out and cut into liftable pieces for later rail recovery.

Crossover

Established Member
If anyone needs still needs 66734 for sight, I hear it is quite easy to find...buried in some Scottish countryside :lol: (best make it quick, though!)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's the 66 that derailed several weeks ago on the West Highland Line at Loch Treig. You can find pictures here.

ng1980

Have i missed something? What happened? Anyone got any footage or pics?

I was about to ask the same thing! A one- or two-sentence summary (or link) is always useful when starting an "update" thread.

EDIT: Sorry - I didn't notice that there was a page 2, which answers the question! Thank you, Ainsworth74.

Last edited:

yummy125

Posted on End of the Line website:

66734 written off...

66734 (GBZZ) on the bank side of Loch Treig is now showing N/FOR which is the official code for a locomotive being written off. This is understood to be a fairly recent development although the articles in the National Railway Media suggest it was written off some weeks ago.

As to what to do with 66734 its looking like recovery or salvage has been deemed logistically impossible and that, once cleaned out and anything recoverable recovered, the body will be cocooned and buried on site.

BestWestern

Established Member
I really can't imagine how 'cocoon and burial' would be any easier or more practical than simply cutting up the remains and recovering them in a more appropriate manner. How would the required equipment reach the scene?!

Are you quite certain this isn't somebody having a laugh?!

yummy125

From WNXX website:

"I haven't seen any photos on your site or elsewhere of 66734 in its current state - probably because it's such a trek up the Loch side to find it.
A lot of enthusiasts in the car park at Fersit but unaware (as we were) of just how far up the Loch the loco is. It took us fifty minutes one way
even with mountain bikes. Without mountain bikes one member of our party took 2.5 hours one way. The pictures are from the west side
of the Loch - the easiest to get to because of the track to the Alcan valve shafts - and from the east side." Daddyman

6673420Loch20Treig2023091220Daddyman208.jpg

6673420Loch20Treig2023091220Daddyman205.jpg

6673420Loch20Treig2023091220Daddyman201.jpg

6673420Loch20Treig2023091220Daddyman203.jpg

BestWestern

Established Member
Very interesting pics, though I'd have to say it doesn't look quite as remote and inhospitable as I was expecting. Surely some form of rail-mounted crane would be able to lift that, perhaps if it were initially dragged back toward to line a few feet?

Any ideas what the grey posts are in the final picture?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely some form of rail-mounted crane would be able to lift that, perhaps if it were initially dragged back toward to line a few feet?

Do we have cranes that can actually lift (rather than re-rail) 129 tonne locomotive? Also would the track bed be strong enough to deal with such an operation?

Any ideas what the grey posts are in the final picture?

Motion sensors to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't decide to go walkabout.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the track bed would be my main concern too, especially in an area that's already had landslips!

From the photos I take it is around this lightly wooded area?

Anywhere that is two and half hours walk from the neaest path (at least, path marked on an OS or other map) is pretty damn remote!

BestWestern

Established Member
Do we have cranes that can actually lift (rather than re-rail) 129 tonne locomotive? Also would the track bed be strong enough to deal with such an operation?

There must be somewhere in the world surely, this can't be the first time somebody's had to attempt a difficult extraction job?!

Motion sensors to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't decide to go walkabout.

That would be interesting, and what would happen should they be set off I wonder? :D

ash39

Established Member
I know it's off topic now, kind of, but what happened to 66048?

I know it's off topic now, kind of, but what happened to 66048?

Off topic now? I'd say it's off topic completely since its titled 66734 latest.

But, since you ask, 048 is still in a rather battered state at Toton isn't it? Oh yes, with a knackered power unit kindly donated by 66005 if I remember correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.