• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

66746 Royal Scotsman Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highland37

Established Member
Personally I don't like all this maroon and racing green. It seems so backward and stuck in the past to me but each to their own.

GB

Established Member
I would imagine the loco will be allocated to this train untill its next exam....whenever that is.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Personally I don't like all this maroon and racing green. It seems so backward and stuck in the past to me but each to their own.
The Royal Scotsman train is meant to project a very traditional, nostalgic image though so it's just a case of painting the loco to match. It must be said however that class 66s do not suit traditional liveries such as this, in my opinion, and it is strange to see such a utilitarian freight loco given the "Royal Scotsman" treatment.

Personally I think that, on a purely visual level, the Royal Scotsman locos should carry a livery that differentiates them from the stock that they haul, rather than attempting to blend in: Royal claret would be well suited, in my opinion. I thought it made for an aesthetically pleasing pairing when BR green liveried 37403 was paired with the train in the mid nineties.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
That seems a very off choice for a dedicated passenger locomotive? Big, heavy, overpowered but slow.... Don't GBRf have 73/9s?

Deepgreen

Established Member
The Royal Scotsman train is meant to project a very traditional, nostalgic image though so it's just a case of painting the loco to match. It must be said however that class 66s do not suit traditional liveries such as this, in my opinion, and it is strange to see such a utilitarian freight loco given the "Royal Scotsman" treatment.

Personally I think that, on a purely visual level, the Royal Scotsman locos should carry a livery that differentiates them from the stock that they haul, rather than attempting to blend in: Royal claret would be well suited, in my opinion. I thought it made for an aesthetically pleasing pairing when BR green liveried 37403 was paired with the train in the mid nineties.

I'm confused - isn't Royal Claret one of the most traditional (in its style, at least) liveries around, and how does it make it stand out from the slightly different dark red that some of the stock carries? Sorry - I must have missed something here.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm confused - isn't Royal Claret one of the most traditional (in its style, at least) liveries around, and how does it make it stand out from the slightly different dark red that some of the stock carries? Sorry - I must have missed something here.
I wasn't suggesting a stark difference between loco and carriage liveries (although there is a big difference between coaching stock maroon and the near-black of royal claret as applied to classes 47 and 67); royal claret would, to me, provide sufficient variation without detracting from the high quality image that the train aims to promote.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I wasn't suggesting a stark difference between loco and carriage liveries (although there is a big difference between coaching stock maroon and the near-black of royal claret as applied to classes 47 and 67); royal claret would, to me, provide sufficient variation without detracting from the high quality image that the train aims to promote.

OK. I must say I like the concept of possible blurb for the train - "...to complete the vintage ensemble, your luxury train will be hauled by a classically-elegant class 66 locomotive from the golden age of..."!

Sapphire Blue

OK. I must say I like the concept of possible blurb for the train - "...to complete the vintage ensemble, your luxury train will be hauled by a classically-elegant class 66 locomotive from the golden age of..."!

. . . Ferrybridge?

168lover

I think it looks quite smart but would you really pay thousands of pounds to travel behind a loco that goes ying, ying constantly? I know I wouldn't

CosherB

Established Member
Looks like my previous thread has been usurped!

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128951

Hardly a surprise to see this livery as applied. I'm also a bit surprised to see this on a 66, but as GBRf aren't exactly flushed with traction choice, then this does make sense. At least Belmond are getting modern traction for their train. :D

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
The strange loco choice aside, I think this looks quite smart. Never thought that this kind of color scheme would suit a 66, but it strangely does.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I think it looks quite smart but would you really pay thousands of pounds to travel behind a loco that goes ying, ying constantly? I know I wouldn't
I would imagine that the loco is largely unaudible from within the train most of the time, so will have no effect on the punters.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That seems a very off choice for a dedicated passenger locomotive? Big, heavy, overpowered but slow.... Don't GBRf have 73/9s?
73/9s would seem the more logical choice (didn't think I'd ever say that about Scottish Highland workings!), although maybe GBRf deemed that a pair of the relatively low powered locos would be required for the more steeply graded Highland main line and decided just to go for a single 66 instead?

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member

I chuckled quite a lot at that! :D

Perhaps they should go 'Ying Yang'?!!

Bodiddly

I would imagine that the loco is largely unaudible from within the train most of the time, so will have no effect on the punters...

Usually the viewing platform in the lounge car is directly behind the loco when the train is heading North or West, so close you can touch it!

Personally, I think it makes a boring shed look quite classy!

8A Rail

Established Member
It looks ok to be honest but I am surprised that the Belmond (Royal Scotsman) wording and along with the number, were not larger as I think this make it much better in appearance. Currently, both seem lost on the side of the shed.

BestWestern

Established Member
It looks ok to be honest but I am surprised that the Belmond (Royal Scotsman) wording and along with the number, were not larger as I think this make it much better in appearance. Currently, both seem lost on the side of the shed.

The word 'Railfreight' on the side doesn't do much to add to the glamour, either :-/

Observer

It does the job, that's all that it needs to do. Anything is better than trusting WCRC at this point, GBRf did a good job filling in for them on this last year and there weren't any issues with using the 66 as traction.

I was reading the GBRf Facebook and noticed people whining because of what they went with, well what do you expect, that's pretty much all they have to use and because the ETS is provided by a generator car that makes the 66 worthwhile.

BestWestern

Established Member
It does the job, that's all that it needs to do. Anything is better than trusting WCRC at this point, GBRf did a good job filling in for them on this last year and there weren't any issues with using the 66 as traction.

I was reading the GBRf Facebook and noticed people whining because of what they went with, well what do you expect, that's pretty much all they have to use and because the ETS is provided by a generator car that makes the 66 worthwhile.

I don't think anybody can argue that it wasn't a sound choice, given the alternatives; it's unfortunate that it lacks the glamour befitting of such a train of course, but there we go. I'm surprised that a couple of 67s couldn't be sourced, though, given that they are desperately short of work and rather more suited to passenger trains than a 66. It would also have prevented tying up a freight asset, although of course if work is scarce then it might well suit GBRf to be doing exactly that.

CosherB

Established Member
I don't think anybody can argue that it wasn't a sound choice, given the alternatives; it's unfortunate that it lacks the glamour befitting of such a train of course, but there we go. I'm surprised that a couple of 67s couldn't be sourced, though, given that they are desperately short of work and rather more suited to passenger trains than a 66. It would also have prevented tying up a freight asset, although of course if work is scarce then it might well suit GBRf to be doing exactly that.

Are Class 67s glamorous? I've no idea if DB Cargo tendered for the contract which would have been the only way to get a Skip on the RS.

The RS doesn't need an ETS loco with 100mph capability.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Are Class 67s glamorous? I've no idea if DB Cargo tendered for the contract which would have been the only way to get a Skip on the RS.

The RS doesn't need an ETS loco with 100mph capability.

Mildly more so than a Shed, but probably not by a great degree!

I've no idea what the train does or where it goes, so I accept your greater wisdom! :D

Deepgreen

Established Member
Mildly more so than a Shed, but probably not by a great degree!

I've no idea what the train does or where it goes, so I accept your greater wisdom! :D

The 'Royal Scotsman' is an operation that uses a number of old (some very old) coaches to provide luxury travelling 'hotel' tours on the rail network (predominantly in or to/from Scotland). The stock includes easily the oldest rolling stock used on the main line today, with some dating to the 19th century. Workings can be diesel or steam-hauled. Some of the stock is stored at Clapham Junction yard shed (handy for Scotland!).

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 'Royal Scotsman' is an operation that uses a number of old (some very old) coaches to provide luxury travelling 'hotel' tours on the rail network (predominantly in or to/from Scotland). The stock includes easily the oldest rolling stock used on the main line today, with some dating to the 19th century. Workings can be diesel or steam-hauled. Some of the stock is stored at Clapham Junction yard shed (handy for Scotland!).

I think you are getting the Queen of Scots and the Royal Scotsman confused. Whilst the Royal Scotsman is as you say a hotel on wheels the stock is not from the 19th Century. The Queen of Scots (which has not run for a while) has the oldest stock.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Makes me wonder what a 66 would look like in BTC Black and Silver

CosherB

Established Member

Stock is mostly 1960s Metro Cammell Pullman carriages with a couple of converted Mk3 sleepers. Plenty of info on wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.