• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

69 pound sleeper fare on FGW London-Penzance

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiepete

Hi all

My first post so please be kind.

We'll be traveling to (and around) the UK during late August and all of September. We want to take the FGW sleeper service from London to Penzance. We're more than willing to pay the GBP119 (for two) fare that we are easily able to find, but... we've seen a super cheap GBP49 (for two!) fare.

My partner is logging on to FGW's website at 9am our time (midnight yours) and previously could see the 49 fare, but now all that's available is 119. We're a week out from the day that we're traveling becoming available.

Is it a summer thing that the super cheap fares aren't now available, or is he not quick enough and someone has beaten him to the fare/s each time he logs in?

Thanks in advance, pete

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
If your travelling next Wednesday I cant find a £119 fare for 2 - however you could buy a advance single for seated accomodation on the sleeper which costs £86 for 2 adults or there sleeper berth fares available at prices of £164 and £169 total cost for 2 adults

wintonian

Established Member
Hi all

My first post so please be kind.

We'll be traveling to (and around) the UK during late August and all of September. We want to take the FGW sleeper service from London to Penzance. We're more than willing to pay the GBP119 (for two) fare that we are easily able to find, but... we've seen a super cheap GBP49 (for two!) fare.

My partner is logging on to FGW's website at 9am our time (midnight yours) and previously could see the 49 fare, but now all that's available is 119. We're a week out from the day that we're traveling becoming available.

Is it a summer thing that the super cheap fares aren't now available, or is he not quick enough and someone has beaten him to the fare/s each time he logs in?

Thanks in advance, pete

If your travelling next Wednesday I cant find a £119 fare for 2 - however you could buy a advance single for seated accomodation on the sleeper which costs £86 for 2 adults or there sleeper berth fares available at prices of £164 and £169 total cost for 2 adults

I don't think they will be in the country next Wendsday. ;)

Welcome,

Could you tell us which dates you were looking at?

The £119 fare is an advance sleeper fare for 2 people travelling in the same berth together.

I do not have access to the information at the moment but it is possible the £49 is just for the seated portion (check carefully) although it may also come with a berth - I don't know at what price they start at.

It is quite possible that all the £49 fares have been sold which would mean the price increases to the next teir and so on, so the only way to guarantee that price is to buy it when you see it.

Also advance tickets are not yet available for the sleeper beyond the week beginning £20 August so the following weeks allocation will hopfully be released on Friday.

You may also wish to look at Britrail tickets if you making more journey by train as it may work out cheaper and will not tie you to certain trains like the above advance tickets do.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You may also wish to look at Britrail tickets if you making more journey by train as it may work out cheaper and will not tie you to certain trains like the above advance tickets do.

BritRail are very good value indeed, if you intend on travelling around a lot, especially for the First Class version as First Class fares on long-distance journeys tend to be very steep. (Some of us witnessed four American tourists earlier this week upgraded from their Standard Class tickets to First Class onboard for a total of around £700, and that was only for one journey from London Euston to Oxenholme Lake District.)

However please bear in mind that if you intend to use berths on the sleeper, there is a supplement to pay in addition to the BritRail ticket. On the London Paddington - Penzance journey, it costs £50 each for solo occupancy of a cabin (with the possibility of neighbouring cabins being joined up), or £35 per person (£70 in total) for a twin-berth cabin. If using a BritRail FlexiPass on the sleeper, you need to date the ticket for the next day (ie. travelling Wednesday night means writing in Thursday's date).

Sleepy

Established Member
) The £49 price is normally the lowest price for 1 person in a single berth cabin (with volo tv) connecting door can be unlocked for couples etc. sharing adjacent berths eg. 1 and 3 or 5 and 7.. 2. Twin berth cabins start at £69 (on quieter nights) HTH

Last edited:

aussiepete

I'm in trouble because I got the price wrong - it's actually GBP69 pounds for a two berth cabin so I've updated the subject. Sorry about that.

We'll be travelling on 28/08 at 23:45.

On this page http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/...ght-Riviera-Sleeper/Times-prices-and-services under inclusive ticket it says - Single journey in a Twin cabin without Volo TV (for two people sharing) from £69 per cabin.

We've worked out the TV isn't available if you have a cabin made up as a twin but considering we'll be catching the train at midnight a tele isn't too important.

So, I'm guessing we've just got to try log on at 9am our time each day over the next week to see if we another 69pound fare pops up.

Like I said, plenty available at 119, we were just trying to save the 50 ,

cheers

pete

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I suspect the cheapest tier of the Advance fares has simply sold out. If this is the case it's unlikely that it will become available again. The price is from £69, so I imagine there aren't many tickets available at that price unfortunately.

wintonian

Established Member
I suspect the cheapest tier of the Advance fares has simply sold out. If this is the case it's unlikely that it will become available again. The price is from £69, so I imagine there aren't many tickets available at that price unfortunately.

When I checked earlier by using the booking engine tickets weren't yet available for the week beginning 27th.

If I am correct it is normally a Friday that tickets are released into the wild.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I checked earlier by using the booking engine tickets weren't yet available for the week beginning 27th.

If I am correct it is normally a Friday that tickets are released into the wild.

That will teach me for not reading the 'late August/early September' bit! I guess it will require a bit of patience then. :)

Sleepy

Established Member
:D If you check on Scotrail website this date already available for booking - no £69 for 2 but £49 single cabins currently are. It also shows Advance Returns ? for £64 which seem to be valid for return leg on day trains as well (taking super off peak as validity).

wintonian

Established Member
:D If you check on Scotrail website this date already available for booking - no £69 for 2 but £49 single cabins currently are. It also shows Advance Returns ? for £64 which seem to be valid for return leg on day trains as well (taking super off peak as validity).

Wow a sleeper service from Scotland to Penzance via London crikey or do you mean Scotrail have now taken on running the Night Riviera? :p

Sleepy

Established Member
Wow a sleeper service from Scotland to Penzance via London crikey or do you mean Scotrail have now taken on running the Night Riviera? :p
No just their website will allow you to book further ahead than most TOC sites ! :roll:

wintonian

Established Member
Sorry, I wasn't thinking it would be possible to book from Scotrail, but as they also run sleepers I found the wrong end of the stick.

Now off to buy some humble pie which isn't easy when the supermarket is closed.

4SRKT

Established Member

The other way round would be much better in that the FGW Sleeper is waaaaaay nicer than ScotRail's.

Status
Not open for further replies.