• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

7 Day all line rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm just completing the first week of a 1st class ALR and, as usual, it's been good fun but not helpful to my waistline due to the Virgin breakfasts! As others have said, A Travelodge can be a cheap and clean place to stay the night. Rugby Travelodge is in a brilliant location adjacent to the station and with great views of the trains speeding past. I based myself there for the first four days of the ALR last week

I hope you have tried the East Coast offerings at meal times too. Despite criticisms from this forum, I still find them much better than Virgin's offerings, having tried them myself last week. Also make sure that you give Hull Trains a go, especially at lunchtime when no one else offers a full meal.

Are you going to write a trip report?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furgus2

I did have an East Coast evening meal last week of chicken and couscous which I enjoyed. Also, the Virgin chilli and, later in the week, chicken and leek pie were both filling. I used to enjoy Hull Trains meals when they had the 222s but thought the efforts on the 180s poor. Have they now improved? I have to say that I've done a few East Coast journeys in the past week and I think they've generally now cracked it in 1st except on non-stop York to Kings Cross.
I'm hoping to have evening meal on the WAG express this evening.
Other highlights so far was the Night Riviera up to Paddington last night and Fort William and Inverness sleepers during this week

calc7

Established Member
I did have an East Coast evening meal last week of chicken and couscous which I enjoyed. Also, the Virgin chilli and, later in the week, chicken and leek pie were both filling. I used to enjoy Hull Trains meals when they had the 222s but thought the efforts on the 180s poor. Have they now improved? I have to say that I've done a few East Coast journeys in the past week and I think they've generally now cracked it in 1st except on non-stop York to Kings Cross.

That's reassuring to hear. Is YRK-KGX non-stop still one drink, clear up by Retford? I avoid these ones like the plague.

Butts

Veteran Member
That's reassuring to hear. Is YRK-KGX non-stop still one drink, clear up by Retford? I avoid these ones like the plague.

Don't forget on the East Coast Directors forum they advised me you were quite at liberty to ask a member of staff for a further drink/snack. :lol:

furgus2

Yes, it was 1 drink in 2 hours. On the plus side, I've twice boarded Leeds to Kings Cross trains at Doncaster and been offered a cold drink straight after departure which have been sourced from the kitchen then another when the drinks trolley returns from the front later in the journey

calc7

Established Member
Don't forget on the East Coast Directors forum they advised me you were quite at liberty to ask a member of staff for a further drink/snack. :lol:

Good stuff. Whether or not the staff stick to that or return with "no" is another story I guess!

David Goddard

Established Member
I'm hoping to have evening meal on the WAG express this evening.
Other highlights so far was the Night Riviera up to Paddington last night and Fort William and Inverness sleepers during this week

SNAP! We are on day 3 of a 14day ALR and also took the WAG this evening, going all the way to Holyhead where we were the last two on it on arrival at 21:15. A good meal in a first class coach that was virtually full on departure from Cardiff.

We started our tour on Friday night/Saturday morning's Down Night Riviera, and spent the weekend touring the South West. Now for a couple of days in Wales before nipping home for a night and then going up to Scotland.

furgus2

Didn't get the WAG express last night after all due to its being delayed somewhere before Shrewsbury. Instead, went on an extra train starting from Shrewsbury and then waited for the Virgin train at Chester. Pleased to say they served me a hot meal on there.
Anyway, an early start today and waiting for breakfast on the southbound

D6975

Established Member
I did quite a few ALRs back in the days when they were around £200 for 7 days and I got student railcard discount.
Nowadays I wouldn't even think of buying such an overpriced ticket.
I buy advances plus regional rovers. The cost of this including accommodation is usually far less than the cost of the ALR ticket alone.

There is also the advantage of less pressure to do too much and the time to explore an area more thoroughly. I reckon that I can do 2 such trips for about the same cost as one ALR. North East and North West rovers both give huge areas and plenty to keep you occupied for a week. In some places rover areas are a little smaller, but you could buy 2 rovers and still save lots compared to an ALR. Heart of England/East Mids is a good combo - Gloster to Grimsby, Chester to Peterborough.

As an example, 2 years ago I did ADV Bristol-Fratton, Southern trains day rover, ADV London - Leeds, 7 day NE rover, ADV Leeds - London, Day travelcard Z1-6, Advance London - Bristol. 9 days out and about, total cost including accommodation £280.

Status
Not open for further replies.