• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

70018 broken - how bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Following 70018s failure recently its been stopped at Southampton, then went to Eastleigh (depot or works ?). It is now been/being moved to Leeds. Apparently the turbo has failed leading to engine failure.

So if it is too broken to fix at Eastleigh then what is it doing going to Leeds which must be smaller and more packed already. It is seems to be quite a serious failure so is it going to get repaired or just get stored. I ask this as there have been rumours that the 70s are not doing as well as expected and that the last 10 in the order are not being built.

I noted a while ago reports that these 70s fail a lot in the winter months. I don’t think this is a significant fact - more co-incidence. That is because each new delivery has coincided with those periods so any teething problems are going to appear then anyway.

I am also aware that any new design seems to be viewed as problematical. There will be teething problems but a new design does seem to attract cynicism.

If these locos are hired as power by the hour then there is no pressure on Freightliner to use or repair a loco that they don’t want to use or don’t need to use.

A lot of conjecture so can anyone confirm or rubbish any of it ?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
it seems not uncommon with GEs. There's some interesting videos on YouTube of turbos going up, although usually with the older engines. Obviously this one'll be repaired under warranty, at least they didn't drop it off the ship. :oops:

Following 70018s failure recently its been stopped at Southampton, then went to Eastleigh (depot or works ?). It is now been/being moved to Leeds. Apparently the turbo has failed leading to engine failure.

So if it is too broken to fix at Eastleigh then what is it doing going to Leeds which must be smaller and more packed already. It is seems to be quite a serious failure so is it going to get repaired or just get stored. I ask this as there have been rumours that the 70s are not doing as well as expected and that the last 10 in the order are not being built.

I noted a while ago reports that these 70s fail a lot in the winter months. I don’t think this is a significant fact - more co-incidence. That is because each new delivery has coincided with those periods so any teething problems are going to appear then anyway.

I am also aware that any new design seems to be viewed as problematical. There will be teething problems but a new design does seem to attract cynicism.

If these locos are hired as power by the hour then there is no pressure on Freightliner to use or repair a loco that they don’t want to use or don’t need to use.

A lot of conjecture so can anyone confirm or rubbish any of it ?.

No doubt it'll have a warranty repair. Hardly the end of the world !

GearJammer

I heard it had been repaired at Eastleigh?
Apparantly it was a problem with the engine, something to do with cylinders and seals although i don't know this as fact, i should imagine the guys up at Leeds will know abit more about the 70's as the maintenance on them seems to be concentrated there, and i would have thought that if the damage to the engine was that bad they'd just lift the power unit out and put a new one in if its under warrenty.

I heard it had been repaired at Eastleigh?
Apparantly it was a problem with the engine, something to do with cylinders and seals although i don't know this as fact, i should imagine the guys up at Leeds will know abit more about the 70's as the maintenance on them seems to be concentrated there, and i would have thought that if the damage to the engine was that bad they'd just lift the power unit out and put a new one in if its under warrenty.

You' think it would still be under warranty would'nt you,but knowing Tightliner,sorry Freightliner and there maintenance regime, who knows?;)

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Yes 70018 is working fine now. Was not really out of action for long really but wandered around a few places that could fix it - strange. Compare that with 70015 which seems to be stuck at Midland road for longer.

New thread if anyone has any meaningfull info. Time for this thread to sleep really.

Status
Not open for further replies.