• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

70018 on fire in Hampshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
70018 is apparently on fire in Wallers Ash loop south of Basingstoke on 4O27, SWML blocked, diversions via Havant for SWT.

70018 passed me at Basingstoke and appeared in good health!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Looking at the SWT Twitter, it seems it failed in the Basingstoke area, got fixed and started moving again - but has caught fire at Wallers Ash. Fire Brigade are on site and are damping down at the moment, 1 line should be opening soon apparently.

ushawk

Established Member
SWT have just tweeted that a rescue loco is currently at Winchester - im guessing it will be hauled to Eastleigh or Millbrook ?

CosherB

Established Member
It probably caught sight of itself reflected in a window, realised how pig ugly it was, and self-immolated. :D

There is absolutely no excuse for a railway locomotive to be that ugly.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Another warranty claim coming up from Freightliner, I suspect. I don't know if the performance of these things so far will do very much to helping GE's bid for sales in mainland Europe, which surely they must need to recoup some of the costs of developing them.

the sniper

Established Member

I've never really got the fuss over it being 'ugly'. I personally think it looks pretty cool. I certainly welcome it not being as bland and featureless as most other modern locos...

The locos DRS are getting from Vossloh should look pretty good, but now I'm getting far too off topic. ;)

tsr

Established Member
As of 1802hrs, a rescue loco is coupling up. SWT's Twitter feed are saying that this "might take some time". I should think it might! Reports indicate that at least one train has passed the incident by using the Up line.

ushawk

Established Member
Up line as reopened now, down is expected to reopen at about 7PM - all according to Twitter

fgwrich

Established Member
Couple of pictures on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13588088@N07/sets/72157629748487407/

Seems to have been a bad day for Freightliner & 70018 Yesterday, as i gather it had also failed on the Reading - Basingstoke branch, before being restarted and making its way down to Wallers Ash Down Loop before as we know...Catching fire - Fuel Leak resulting in Engine Room Fire. So, back to another GEC Warrently claim form then?

Few pictures of the resuting damage here:

http://www.ukrailpics.com/displayimage.php?album=213&pid=4730#top_display_media

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
It probably caught sight of itself reflected in a window, realised how pig ugly it was, and self-immolated. :D

Not this again, this sort of comment appears in every thread about the Class 70's!

It hardly matters what a loco looks like, particularly a freight one, it's a tool and nothing else, though personally I do quite like the Class 70 look in a tiwisted sort of way.

Their reliability is definitely of some concern though :lol:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Not this again, this sort of comment appears in every thread about the Class 70's!

It hardly matters what a loco looks like, particularly a freight one, it's a tool and nothing else, though personally I do quite like the Class 70 look in a tiwisted sort of way.

Their reliability is definitely of some concern though :lol:

Actually I tend to agree with the argument about looks. They must have been deliberately designed to look like that; it's the result of attempts to style it, the weird wavy lines and the sticky out light clusters and so on. So I do think GE (and/or Freightliner; I wonder if it was them who designed it?) should take the blame. It's not just a case in this case of form following function.

Crossover

Established Member
:shock:

These things really are shocking at reliability. This one has barely lasted 3 months before turning itself into a mobile BBQ...I'd say that is quite an achievement, be it, not a good one!

yummy125

Nope, but here is a link to some pic's of it's burnt side-body. 019 & 20 have been stopped at Southampton for inspection.

http://www.ukrailpics.com/thumbnails.php?album=213&page=1

normal_Proof_P09C0056.jpg

Established Member
Hasn't the plant that was producing these now closed down (or was that the plant that produced the 66s)?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Hasn't the plant that was producing these now closed down (or was that the plant that produced the 66s)?

That was EMD. After Caterpillar bought it they closed London, Ontario after a dispute with the Unions and moved to a new plant in Indiana, I think.

Erniescooper

That was EMD. After Caterpillar bought it they closed London, Ontario after a dispute with the Unions and moved to a new plant in Indiana, I think.

Is correct, it's standard Caterpillar operating procedure . You buy a company that makes something you want as part of your product line up, if the workforce does' nt accept the appropriate pay cut they are fired and production goes elsewhere.

tra1nsp0tter

Hi everybody, I am a bit of a long time lurker on this interesting & informative forum, please excuse my
name, it was all I could think of @ the time.

Anyway, back to the subject of 70018 incinerating itself,
I was on YouTube looking @ the videos of 70018 working, & in one of them it is very very smokey , which is very unusual for a modern engine, with regards to emission rules etc.
Just wondering if this is normal? Certainly doesn't look normal.......

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c22NVZe_cE0

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum - your link has been fixed! :)

Established Member
Any smoke that is coming out that looks darker than normal shows that there is incomplete combustion, so particulates are being produced, which isn't good for the environment and might be showing some sort of mechanical problem.

dcd

Nope, but here is a link to some pic's of it's burnt side-body. 019 & 20 have been stopped at Southampton for inspection.

Actually it is 70017 not 70019 that is stopped with 70020. 70018 is hiding under the bridge - nose just visible on opposite side to depot. 70001 also present Sunday am.

attachment.php

Last edited:

GearJammer

Actually it is 70017 not 70019 that is stopped with 70020. 70018 is hiding under the bridge - nose just visible on opposite side to depot. 70001 also present Sunday am.

Excellant, i'll try getting a picture of it from pre-gate on Tuesday morning, should be able to see it from there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.