• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

707 configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
first of all please remove/ or move to where this should go if I have posted in the wrong section, apologies before hand.

I have just read that the 707’s will run as 10 cars, so 2x5 as you well know (encase they need to split should there be a fault?) my question is why have thameslink not opted for the same set up if this is the case with there 700’s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 707s are already in full use, but SWT ordered them on the basis of a ten car railway that operated with reduced length trains at weekends. IIRC the then depot strategy (eg Wimbledon expansion) didn’t allow for fixed formation long trains, they had to do a lot of work to increase from four to five car units anyway.

Thameslink on the other hand have completely new depots suitable for their eight and twelve car units, the lack of intermediate cabs allows easy access throughout the train and in the case of a twelve car compared with the traditional three units in multiple provides quite a few extra seats, and saves the cost of four sets of cab equipment. Most importantly they don’t intended to ever run trains shorter than eight cars.

As time has passed, SWR have come in and obviously decided that a mix of ten and five car units is a reasonable compromise, probably so that certain trains can still be run in short format.

hwl

Established Member
Cabs (with all the electronics) cost just under 250k at the moment so fixed 10car formation would save £450-500k over 2x5car and have fewer coupling / uncoupling failures. SWR have gone for mostly 10car with revised depot and stabling facilities.

Ladder23

Established Member
Thanks guys for the responses. I see they’re due to be replaced this year for aventra’s, will this mean the new TOC will have them fully repainted/ liveried, or maybe just a logo over the SWT keeping the red body.

hwl

Established Member
What new TOC? They will be homeless.

For cost and paint warranty reasons they would normally be vinyl wrapped except the roof but the roof colour will be problem in this case so who knows.

Ladder23

Established Member

For cost and paint warranty reasons they would normally be vinyl wrapped except the roof but the roof colour will be problem in this case so who knows.

When will the TOC be announced is there any rough idea.. also where will they be stored if the decision isn’t made by the time the 701’s arrive?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
1. No idea, anything is speculation. Many posters have come up with suggestions but I don’t think any have been based on official evidence.
2. They could taken anywhere in the country with suitable siding space, it doesn’t have to be a powered move.

hwl

Established Member
When will the TOC be announced is there any rough idea.. also where will they be stored if the decision isn’t made by the time the 701’s arrive?

What new TOC. The situation is IF not WHEN

hwl

Established Member
1. No idea, anything is speculation. Many posters have come up with suggestions but I don’t think any have been based on official evidence.
2. They could taken anywhere in the country with suitable siding space, it doesn’t have to be a powered move.
Agreed, they aren't a good fit for the suggestions in many cases either!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I suppose the existing “Stagecoach swooshes” at the ends are likely to be vinyled. Turning them into a plain red train with blue doors will be the easy bit...

hwl

Established Member
I suppose the existing “Stagecoach swooshes” at the ends are likely to be vinyled. Turning them into a plain red train with blue doors will be the easy bit...
Yep. No loos, fewer traction motors than the TL equivalents and other new stock so likely to need an upgrade before going elsewhere.

Ladder23

Established Member
What new TOC. The situation is IF not WHEN

Possibly be tucked away for some time then?! 30 units is a lot to keep away somewhere, I assume they will be spread vastly across the network.

hwl

Established Member
Possibly be tucked away for some time then?! 30 units is a lot to keep away somewhere, I assume they will be spread vastly across the network.
Potters Ely would be big enough and plenty of former MOD sites could take the lot.

Lots of siding being readied to take the waves of off-lease stock

Ladder23

Established Member
I suppose now is the time for me to start seeing some 707’s then before they possibly go away for a while!

Ladder23

Established Member
Where is the best place to witness the proposals/ rumours of the future of the 707’s.

I’m hoping they will run Clapham to MK central on the southern. Chances?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Where is the best place to witness the proposals/ rumours of the future of the 707’s.
You could always try the forum search (titles only), here’s a couple of many threads. It really has been done to death already though, no-one will be interested in doing it all over again. Especially as the last thread was only a few weeks ago,
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-707-future.178579/
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/future-of-class-707.144409/
What advantage would they have for Southern Milton Keynes, bearing in mind they are not yet dual voltage fitted, have no toilets, and no first class?

Ladder23

Established Member
You could always try the forum search (titles only), here’s a couple of many threads. It really has been done to death already though, no-one will be interested in doing it all over again. Especially as the last thread was only a few weeks ago,
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-707-future.178579/
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/future-of-class-707.144409/
What advantage would they have for Southern Milton Keynes, bearing in mind they are not yet dual voltage fitted, have no toilets, and no first class?

Good idea I didn’t notice title only option. Your right, ultimately a silly option going for no loo’s etc in the first place

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Good idea I didn’t notice title only option. Your right, ultimately a silly option going for no loo’s etc in the first place

I'm not sure that is a silly option to not go for loo's (etc)...They seem like the perfect suburban unit...Plus loos can be fitted at a later date.AFAIK.

Fast acceleration...fast doors..Nice to walk through with bags and stuff...Nice enviroment.What's not to like?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.