• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

800s to Bedwyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but recent news is following the electrification to Newbury, 800s will be used to continue to give Bedwyn direct services to London.

Will this be the same service level as now (1tph) or only at certain times?

I also think it would make more sense to run these to Westbury rather than waste money extending the turnback siding at Bedwyn for a service which probably won't be commercially viable.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Master29

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but recent news is following the electrification to Newbury, 800s will be used to continue to give Bedwyn direct services to London.

Will this be the same service level as now (1tph) or only at certain times?

I also think it would make more sense to run these to Westbury rather than waste money extending the turnback siding at Bedwyn for a service which probably won't be commercially viable.

What are your thoughts?

I think it`s pretty daft using 800`s for this route. One wonders why electrification was not extended to Bedwyn in the first place as surely 387`s would make more sense for such a short trip. Why use 800`s solely for that journey alone?

hwl

Established Member
Bedwyn is in the AONB. Electrification stops just east of the AONB...

NotATrainspott

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken GWR were looking into batteries to extend the 387s from Newbury to Bedwyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.