• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennythelad

Does anyone have any info on the status of Azuma 801228, please?.
I check daily and it doesn’t appear to have worked a train for a couple of months at least. I saw a picture of it in a magazine with various wires and cables on it, re. ongoing tests on the recent issues.
I was thinking is it on static testing at Doncaster?.
Any info welcomed,
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Does anyone have any info on the status of Azuma 801228, please?.
I check daily and it doesn’t appear to have worked a train for a couple of months at least. I saw a picture of it in a magazine with various wires and cables on it, re. ongoing tests on the recent issues.
I was thinking is it on static testing at Doncaster?.
Any info welcomed,
Thanks.
It has been out most days the last several weeks, however it is operating as a test train for Hitachi, crewed by GBRF, and has not operated a passenger service for many weeks.
It is fitted with sensors to measure pressure and forces being applied to the train across the East Coast Route.
If you see any 5Q paths orginating from Doncaster IEP depot to Prestonpans loop, or to Kings Cross, then a good bet is for it to be 801228.

kennythelad

It has been out most days the last several weeks, however it is operating as a test train for Hitachi, crewed by GBRF, and has not operated a passenger service for many weeks.
It is fitted with sensors to measure pressure and forces being applied to the train across the East Coast Route.
If you see any 5Q paths orginating from Doncaster IEP depot to Prestonpans loop, or to Kings Cross, then a good bet is for it to be 801228.
Thanks for the info and quick reply, 800001. Much appreciated.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

I assume this for the 80x cracking issues to test the infrastructure?

Established Member
801228 is currently having its monitoring equipment removed at Doncaster and will them be prepared for service with LNER. Eta for release to traffic is 27/09/21.

That will leave 801203 (level crossing crash), and 801205 (stored at Tyne Yard with cracks) as the only 2 units with lner not in traffic.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
801228 is currently having its monitoring equipment removed at Doncaster and will them be prepared for service with LNER. Eta for release to traffic is 27/09/21.

That will leave 801203 (level crossing crash), and 801205 (stored at Tyne Yard with cracks) as the only 2 units with lner not in traffic.
Thanks for that news.
Clearly the cracking is not so much an issue on the LNER fleet then.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Clearly the cracking is not so much an issue on the LNER fleet then.
Well it is a lower mileage to be fair. GWRs first sets entered service in October 2017 whilst they didn't finally enter service with VTEC until May 2019. That's a lot of extra miles the GWR fleet will have covered compared to the LNER fleet!

kennythelad

Thanks for that update, 800001. Much appreciated.

Dave91131

Just a quick note to probably finish off this thread - 801205 and 801228 now both in normal passenger service with LNER, I've travelled on both of them within the last week.

DanNCL

Established Member
Just a quick note to probably finish off this thread - 801205 and 801228 now both in normal passenger service with LNER, I've travelled on both of them within the last week.
801228 has been back for a few weeks now. 801205 is a more recent returnee, having now received the same temporary welds as seen on some of the GWR 80xs.

Status
Not open for further replies.