• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

80s railtour from Birmingham to HoW line - information request

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
I've only ever been on one railtour in my life, with my parents back in the 80s, probably 1985-88ish. Just curious if anyone else here was on the same trip and remembers more details than I.

This is about all I can remember:
  • Rolling stock was a heritage DMU, haven't a clue what class
  • It traversed the HoW line North to South
  • The tour included a stop of an hour or two in Llandrindod Wells
  • Not 100% sure but I think the return journey could have been via the Swansea district line
Not a lot to go on I know but any information gratefully received :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gg1

Established Member
Have you tried looking at the Six Bells Junction website? An absolute mine of railtour info.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that site but no joy unfortunately.

A search of the site for 'Llandrindod' doesn't bring up any which fit the bill.

ajs

May help if you can remember where you boarded the train and where the train started if known.

gg1

Established Member
It is possible I may be able to help. Unfortunately this will have to wait until Monday evening before I can check.

Thanks, would be very grateful if you could :D

May help if you can remember where you boarded the train and where the train started if known.
No to both unfortunately, other than the boarding station being somewhere in Birmingham or the Black Country (we lived in West Bromwich at the time).

Not sure if it's any help but it probably would have been something which was advertised in one of the local newspapers, most probably the Express and Star. I'm almost certain it was before I started buying Rail magazine and no one else in my family was a rail enthusiast so it must have been something advertised to the general public, may rule out quite a few railtour organisers.

delt1c

Established Member
Dont know the the special , but my recollections of the era could it have been a class 120

SCH117X

Established Member
Could have been a "Merrymaker", a BR excursion, as opposed to a railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.