• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

87s back on WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
Despite Virgin's Promise of 'no more 87s and we'll have 90s instead' 87013 was working to/from Holyhead today along with a few Class 90s on the route too.

Sign up to The_WCML_page and virgin_trains Yahoo! groups for more details and gen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dragged by a 47 or 57?

I wish we knew in advance! I'd be up for a trip if this happens again and if I get sufficient notice!

Julian G

Established Member
yorkie said:
Dragged by a 47 or 57?

I wish we knew in advance! I'd be up for a trip if this happens again and if I get sufficient notice!
hmm, a 57 more likely :shock: :)

Guinness

Established Member
No one knows. But it was most likely a 57 as I think all 47s are of lease and are at Oxley IIRC.

I email the group.

Julian G

Established Member
yc04pu.jpg

dave bramley took this shot of a class 90 at Chester :shock:

jonb

Established Member
It was 87013 a GBRf machine. This is currently working back up to Holyhead I believe as far as Crewe.

Jim

Established Member
WOW. Do they do Holyhead regularry or I take it it was a 1 of

Guinness

Established Member
Its was a one off for that paticular occasion. There are more 90s on the Wolves route though.

jonb

Established Member
87013 is working AGAIN down to Euston, so much for the end of the 87's :roll:

joy54.gen

I picked the train up at Watford Junction expecting an 87 but got a 57, a 90 also worked the 1756 Euston Wolverhampton though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jim said:
WOW. Do they do Holyhead regularry or I take it it was a 1 of
No, Class 90s are not cleared to Holyhead. Electric locos are supposed to be detached at Crewe.

Unfortunately someone forgot, so the 90 was sent towardsHolyhead. But at Lladnudno Jn someone realised so the 90 was detached and left in the siding. It had to be picked up later by a Class 47.

Meanwhile when the 57 hauled train got back to Crewe there was no electric loco for it, so the 57 had to continue to Euston (Hence why Joy54 got a very unusual Class 57 working to Euston!).

All this loco changing would be unnecessary if they simply used HSTs for this route... but no, that'd be too easy/simple wouldn't it ;)

Guinness

Established Member
HST would be good. But it would be a waste of Electricity. But then again you have the same thing with Voyagers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.