• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

8E13 and 8E16 to Tinsley in 1981

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover

I am trying to ascertain which routes these mixed freight workings took back in 1981.

8E13 09.30 Bescot-Tinsley
8E16 06.45 Severn Tunnel Jn-Tinsley

Did they run via Toton or Derby and did 8E16 also call at Bescot?

I suspect one ran via Toton and the other via Derby as they were booked to arrive Tinsley within around 15 mins of each other.

Thanks for any info.

Kev

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saltleyman

I am trying to ascertain which routes these mixed freight workings took back in 1981.

Did they run via Toton or Derby and did 8E16 also call at Bescot?

I suspect one ran via Toton and the other via Derby as they were booked to arrive Tinsley within around 15 mins of each other.

Thanks for any info.

Kev

8E16 ran from Severn Tunnel to Tinsley via Gloucester, Landor Street,Derby and Treeton. it was worked by Saltley men from Gloucester to Landor street and a fresh Saltley crew from Landor Street to Tinsley.Hope this helps.:lol:

Rover

It does help Saltleyman, thank you very much, that's brilliant.

I'm trying to work out retrospectively workings through Chesterfield. I suspect as a retired Saltley driver you probably worked this turn?

It doesn't look from the route taken that there was any loco change so the engine would have worked through and could be anything really but is it unlikely to be 2x cl.20?

thanks again,
Kev

Saltleyman

It does help Saltleyman, thank you very much, that's brilliant.

I'm trying to work out retrospectively workings through Chesterfield. I suspect as a retired Saltley driver you probably worked this turn?

It doesn't look from the route taken that there was any loco change so the engine would have worked through and could be anything really but is it unlikely to be 2x cl.20?

thanks again,
Kev

I doubt if class 20's ever worked this train it would normally be a class 45 or 46 and of course at times a class 47, and I did work this train on several occasions.

chrisdoward

Thanks for any info.

Kev

A query for the OP, are you referring to the June 1981 timetable with the above trains?

I'm asking as I've got the Section CL WTT for May 1980 and the trains in the timetable are:

7E13 06:45 Severn Tunnel Jn to Tinsley with the same routing as saltleyman quoted

&

8E16 09:30 Bescot Down Yard to Tinsley with the routing through Lichfield and Derby

8E16 is shown as reaching Chesterfield 16 mins later than 7E13 with both being put in loops at points in the journey

The other reason for my post is that if you want to find a picture of 8E16 09:30 from Bescot, there is one in 'Diesels in the East Midlands' publbished by OPC back in 1985, it shows a pair of 20's passing Barrow Hill with an assortment of wagon types behind it, STV/MCV/UCV/BPV/BCV/VIX/VVV/HTV/KTV as the caption states

Hope this is of help.

Rover

A query for the OP, are you referring to the June 1981 timetable with the above trains?.

The trains I were initially referring to ran between Jan-May 1981 but I imagine the routing would be the same as the previous year.

Thanks for the info re 8E16, I had presumed wrongly that it ran via Sheet Stores, Toton and the Erewash.

I'll keep an eye out for "Diesels in the East Midlands", I love those kind of books.

cheers,
Kev

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The other reason for my post is that if you want to find a picture of 8E16 09:30 from Bescot, there is one in 'Diesels in the East Midlands' publbished by OPC back in 1985, it shows a pair of 20's passing Barrow Hill with an assortment of wagon types behind it, STV/MCV/UCV/BPV/BCV/VIX/VVV/HTV/KTV as the caption states

Going on what Saltleyman has said can we assume that there must have been a loco change at Bescot?

Going back to Barrow Hill, when I was 'spotting there in the late 1970's / early 1980's there was a fine array of semaphores there controlling the mainline, sidings and the lines to the loco shed and to Seymour Junction. Memories!

Last edited:

Saltleyman

Going on what Saltleyman has said can we assume that there must have been a loco change at Bescot?

Going back to Barrow Hill, when I was 'spotting there in the late 1970's / early 1980's there was a fine array of semaphores there controlling the mainline, sidings and the lines to the loco shed and to Seymour Junction. Memories!

As 8E16 started at Bescot Yard the loco would come off Bescot HS,and as 7E13 didn't route via Bescot but via Gloucester, Bromsgrove and Landor Street no loco change would be required.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.