• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
So, interesting rumour floating around.

90003 Raedwald of East Anglia is apparently out to works and possibly unlikely to return due to its condition. Anyone heard anything?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
No idea, but if so where do I sign up for a go with the gas axe. I would take much, much pleasure in destroying that absolute heap.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
No idea, but if so where do I sign up for a go with the gas axe. I would take much, much pleasure in destroying that absolute heap.

I'd rather destroy a voyager than any Loco. Even a Skoda.

DasLunatic

What's up with Rædwald, then? Motor fault? Epic wheel flats? Cab falling apart?

SC318250

Was 90003 not hauled to Toton during the week for repainting?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have just found photo of 90003 overhauled and en route to Toton from Crewe

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Same here! I'd happily do that to any of 90001-90015.

Harbornite

Established Member
Leave the class 90s alone! #90livesmatter

On a serious note, this is a shame if it's confirmed.

dk1

Veteran Member
So, interesting rumour floating around.

90003 Raedwald of East Anglia is apparently out to works and possibly unlikely to return due to its condition. Anyone heard anything?

Somebody will be crying into his bottle of Brasso ;)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Even the frail and vulberable biological "Raedwald of East Anglia", lacking any kind of replacement surgery or maintenance regieme, managed to live for something between 45 and 65 years.

[I guess he didn't pull a few hundred tons of metal back and forth several days a week, though.]

Was 90003 not hauled to Toton during the week for repainting?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have just found photo of 90003 overhauled and en route to Toton from Crewe

Yes it travelled to Toton last week. If it emerges with the same livery but regaining the National Express branding ... a nightmare not worth contemplating in East Anglia.

craig87034

90003 went from Crown Point-Crewe IEMD for a overhaul on Monday 23rd May. And Friday July 29th went to Toton

zn1

Nothing wrong with the 87/2's

like all locos they all have their own foiables, some need more TLC than others, etc etc same with Units

Established Member
It was originally planned that the 90s would be classified as 87/2s because of their similarities to the original 87s, but it was later decided that they should be given a new class number of their own.

507 001

Established Member
Really?

Since when has a 90 been called an 87/2?, when I drove them an 86 was an 86, an 87 an 87 and a 90 a 90, obviously it's something that slipped past me

According to legend, the first few wore 872xx numbers whilst under construction.

This was changed to 900xx numbers before they were released.

Harbornite

Established Member
Really?

Since when has a 90 been called an 87/2?, when I drove them an 86 was an 86, an 87 an 87 and a 90 a 90, obviously it's something that slipped past me

Indeed, the intention had been to number them as 87/2s but this was changed before production.

As for the others, 87s have always been 87s while 86s were known as AL6 before TOPS.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Indeed, the intention had been to number them as 87/2s but this was changed before production.

As for the others, 87s have always been 87s while 86s were known as AL6 before TOPS.

There's plenty of railway staff who do their own renumbering, with things like the Class 90s being AL10s and the Class 390s being AM90s.

ExRes

Established Member
You learn something every day, in all my training and subsequent driving I never heard 87/2 mentioned, personally though I'll stick to 90 or Skoda

Harbornite

Established Member
You learn something every day, in all my training and subsequent driving I never heard 87/2 mentioned, personally though I'll stick to 90 or Skoda

Both sound better than 87/2.

By the way, what did you think of them when you were driving them and what was the worst class member to drive, if there was one?

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Both sound better than 87/2.

By the way, what did you think of them when you were driving them and what was the worst class member to drive, if there was one?

I quite enjoyed driving them actually, a bit lazy compared to an 86 but when you're setting off back to London from Doncaster with a TPO at 2330 a bit of laziness seems fair to me. The speed control could be a bit of a laugh, especially if some clown had set it to zero in the sidings, but you didn't have to use it unless you chose to. Cab comfort was superb compared to an 86 or 47 and, in my opinion, better than a 67, although I wrack my brain to think of anything good about a 67 .........

As a Res driver it was obvious that 16 to 20 were the best of the 90s, but then EWS arrived and everything went to hell in a handcart, by the time I left I'd also clocked up 21 to 29 and 31 to 40, including the rather garish Vrachtverwotsit and Frachtverwotsit jobs

To be fair I never had a failure with a 90, even when EWS had their hands on them, which can't be said for 47s and 86s

My favourite was 19 when it carried 'Penny Black' plates, I used to know a girl called Penny Black and it always brought back fond memories ;)

Harbornite

Established Member
I quite enjoyed driving them actually, a bit lazy compared to an 86 but when you're setting off back to London from Doncaster with a TPO at 2330 a bit of laziness seems fair to me. The speed control could be a bit of a laugh, especially if some clown had set it to zero in the sidings, but you didn't have to use it unless you chose to. Cab comfort was superb compared to an 86 or 47 and, in my opinion, better than a 67, although I wrack my brain to think of anything good about a 67 .........

As a Res driver it was obvious that 16 to 20 were the best of the 90s, but then EWS arrived and everything went to hell in a handcart, by the time I left I'd also clocked up 21 to 29 and 31 to 40, including the rather garish Vrachtverwotsit and Frachtverwotsit jobs

To be fair I never had a failure with a 90, even when EWS had their hands on them, which can't be said for 47s and 86s

My favourite was 19 when it carried 'Penny Black' plates, I used to know a girl called Penny Black and it always brought back fond memories ;)

That doesn't surprise me regarding the 47s, I've heard from other sources about how bad their cabs were.

Speaking of the special liveries that were applied to some 90s (SNCF, DB etc) I wonder if anyone could have predicted that Deutsche Bahn would eventually end up with a fleet of class 90s!

Status
Not open for further replies.