• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

91119: Returns to service and in Swallow livery too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Rather than going off topic myself, again (! ;)), perhaps mods would be kind enough to split the discussion about the 158 introduction and use of 156s in the interim that's going on here into another thread so it can be discussed separately?

Cheers :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rather than going off topic myself, again (! ;)), perhaps mods would be kind enough to split the discussion about the 158 introduction and use of 156s in the interim that's going on here into another thread so it can be discussed separately?

Cheers :)
If you wish to contact moderators about a particular post (or posts) please use the Report button. If it relates to several posts, report the first one and list the subsequent posts in your report. There is also a Contact Us form at the bottom of each page for general enquiries. This thread is to discuss 'Game over for 91119' and matters reasonably related to that. If anyone wishes to discuss anything else (or reply to someone who has already gone off topic), please create a new thread (if there isn't one already) with a suitable title, in an appropriate part of the forum.

D365

Veteran Member
So is now the time to dust off ‘ideas’ for cascading the 91s to the MML?

On Moderation
Were any other 91's damaged in the recently snowy weather?
Reported elsewhere that there's a few with traction motor damage so are running on three motors. 91122 is one of them and went to Wabtec for repair yesterday.

mpthomson

Oh interesting. So with the MoD they have a insurance company (or similar) that assesses third party claims and then write a cheque, do they do the same?

Green vehicles aren’t insured at all. If there’s an accident/incident then MOD just pay up unless it’s clearly the other parties’ fault.

91119 will be repaired, but is currently at Bounds Green, donating its traction motors to 4 other locos that are all running on just 3 motors, and also swapping a bogie from 119 to another loco, due to the fact it will be out of service for some time it is surrendering some of its good parts

Taunton

Established Member
Green vehicles aren’t insured at all. If there’s an accident/incident then MOD just pay up unless it’s clearly the other parties’ fault.
Normal for large fleets not to insure, they average it out and it's cheaper not to pay the premiums and to meet the occasional large cost. It's "self insurance".

Having said that, the accountants should ensure that the saved funds on insurance costs are available to meet the occasional incident. It's silly to just see it as a cost saving and not be ready to meet costs as they arise.

The Crab

Normal for large fleets not to insure, they average it out and it's cheaper not to pay the premiums and to meet the occasional large cost. It's "self insurance".

I think only Government Depts have that option.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think only Government Depts have that option.
BR did this and was a nationalised industry not a government department.

However normally all keepers of road vehicles are required by law to have adequate insurance. I don't know if there is (or was) a general exemption for bodies that put a self-insurance scheme in place, or whether each such body had to apply specifically. As the main users of road vehicles in the rail industry, does anyone know if Network Rail self-insures?

mark-h

I think self insurance is more along the lines of having insurance with a very high excess.

The company/government will handle most claims in-house using the funds they put aside for self-insurance. If there is a very large claim then that would be met by their insurance company.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think self insurance is more along the lines of having insurance with a very high excess.

The company/government will handle most claims in-house using the funds they put aside for self-insurance. If there is a very large claim then that would be met by their insurance company.

Government excepted (I suspect) you legally have to have 3rd party insurance in place.

A former employer of mine used to self insure all their vehicles (several thousand of them). They had a 3rd party only insurance policy with an excess of £1 million to meet the legal obligation.

59CosG95

Established Member
Gen from a very reliable source (within Bounds Green) tells me that 91119 should be back around November. Traction motors are back from repair, and its bogies (swapped with 91128s) should follow too.
As the overhaul is expected to see it fit for another 2 years, expect this to be one of the last 91s to be withdrawn, if not the last.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Gen from a very reliable source (within Bounds Green) tells me that 91119 should be back around November. Traction motors are back from repair, and its bogies (swapped with 91128s) should follow too.
As the overhaul is expected to see it fit for another 2 years, expect this to be one of the last 91s to be withdrawn, if not the last.
This is good news. LNER plans to withdraw the 91s first so it would make sense for 91119 to be one of the GNWR locos.

Domh245

Established Member
This is good news. LNER plans to withdraw the 91s first so it would make sense for 91119 to be one of the GNWR locos.

Are they? I thought that the introduction plan for the IEPs was the 9 car bi-modes first, 5 car electrics, 5 car bi-modes, and then 9 car electrics last? That would surely mean that the 91s would be the last to go, and tallies with the lease dates in the VTEC franchise agreement of 2014 that had the HSTs off lease by the end of this year, whilst the IC225s are all off lease by 31/03/2022

On Moderation
Are they? I thought that the introduction plan for the IEPs was the 9 car bi-modes first, 5 car electrics, 5 car bi-modes, and then 9 car electrics last? That would surely mean that the 91s would be the last to go, and tallies with the lease dates in the VTEC franchise agreement of 2014 that had the HSTs off lease by the end of this year, whilst the IC225s are all off lease by 31/03/2022
Lease on LNER HSTs is not ending this year.

Domh245

Established Member
Lease on LNER HSTs is not ending this year.

I had guessed that they will still be running next year given the IEP delays, but I don't think that it detracts from the point of HSTs going first and IC225s going last?

DanNCL

Established Member
Looks like 91120 may be taking 91119's place in being withdrawn at Bounds Green, according to another forum...

59CosG95

Established Member
Looks like 91120 may be taking 91119's place in being withdrawn at Bounds Green, according to another forum...
I have my doubts about that.
The same source who told me that 119 was returning said that the main reason why 119 was due to return was the demands of Eversholt, who want them in as good a condition as they were when VTEC took over.
As such, I believe 120 will be very likely to return, especially as the 800s and 801s for LNER are further delayed.

On Moderation
I have my doubts about that.
The same source who told me that 119 was returning said that the main reason why 119 was due to return was the demands of Eversholt, who want them in as good a condition as they were when VTEC took over.
As such, I believe 120 will be very likely to return, especially as the 800s and 801s for LNER are further delayed.
You're correct that the leasing company will want them back in the appropriate condition, which depends on where they are in the maintenance cycle, but there's also the fact that LNER need the full fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.