• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

9am Heart of Wales line train - calls at Swansea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Does the 0900 Heart of Wales Line departure call at Swansea? The timetable on the ATW website suggests it does, but National Rail Enquiries suggests that it does not. Additionally, the ATW timetable says a 1422 arrival at Cardiff Central, while National Rail say a 1415 arrival. Anybody care to explain the differences?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoeGJ1984

Why would the WTT times omit Swansea though? And Opentraintimes indicates the reversing move at Llanelli with RM, but not at Swansea (it should be there as Swansea is a terminus).

sonic2009

Established Member
I can only think why the reversing movement is shown at Llanelli as it's not a terminus station.

Michael.Y

Established Member
The auto announcement on SHR station the other Saturday morning also omitted SWA as a destination station, jumping straight from Llanelli to Llansamlet.

EDIT : This is Saturday's schedule for tomorrow morning; however I am assured that it does visit Swansea on a Saturday. http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/C39015/2012/6/30

The whole train as a through movement has only been the case since the May 10 timetable change. On previous occasions the unit may have sporadically been the same that worked the 0900 SHR-SWA and the 1310 Swanline SWA-CDF, but they were two separate timetabled movements, and indeed most of the time were.

As for arrival time, apart from delays without fail it's 1415 at the west end of Platform 2 at CDF, with a 1422 departure to the shed.

flymo

Established Member
JoeJG1984 said:
Additionally, the ATW timetable says a 1422 arrival at Cardiff Central, while National Rail say a 1415 arrival. Anybody care to explain the differences?

Looking at the NRTT, the 1415 arrival into Cardiff departs Swansea at 13:10 and is an ATW train. The 14:22 arrival into Cardiff is the 13:28 departure from Swansea and is a GW service to Paddington.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Now this will confuse the public http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/ldbdetails/fbUFwgk9oTDNMlcrTiqOrA== todays service 30th June
ATW paper timetable gives an arrival in Swansea at 1306 then same train arrives Cardiff 1422

so for Swansea does one change at Llanelli? off this HOWL service

I am fully aware some passenger trains on the HOWL do not call at Swansea,such as the Royal Welsh Show specials, I also note from the paper timetable this 0900 ex Shrewsbury does not give Gowerton as a request stop whereas the other three services do,is this a clue

We have a moderator living in Llanelli,he will give us chapter & Verse

Well spotted by the way Joe

(page ten 14/5/12 ATW timetables referred btw)

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
Does the 0900 Heart of Wales Line departure call at Swansea? The timetable on the ATW website suggests it does, but National Rail Enquiries suggests that it does not. Additionally, the ATW timetable says a 1422 arrival at Cardiff Central, while National Rail say a 1415 arrival. Anybody care to explain the differences?
What date did you use for your National Rail Enquiries search? Perhaps stating the obvious, but the schedule for 2V38 could well have been amended for some reason on the selected date. The WTT path for a Saturday (today's schedule here) shows an unadvertised call at Swansea only.

JoeGJ1984

What date did you use for your National Rail Enquiries search? Perhaps stating the obvious, but the schedule for 2V38 could well have been amended for some reason on the selected date. The WTT path for a Saturday (today's schedule here) shows an unadvertised call at Swansea only.

I've tried every Saturday in July and National Rail Enquiries seems to indicate that it does not call at Swansea.

Tomnick

Established Member
That supports the schedule linked to in my post above, which shows a stop at Swansea that's not advertised (no public times indicated). Could well be an error, especially if the paper timetables do show a call there.

merlodlliw

Established Member
That supports the schedule linked to in my post above, which shows a stop at Swansea that's not advertised (no public times indicated). Could well be an error, especially if the paper timetables do show a call there.

Paper timetable does show a Swansea call, but as I put above no Gowerton request stop. It would be unusual not to send this train via Swansea.I am sure the majority of HOWL pax don't want to go to Cardiff.

Bob

Michael.Y

Established Member
I am reassured that this is a NRE error. For one thing there is no reason whatsoever to alter one specific movement to omit Swansea. Secondly the reverse movement at the same time (CDF-SWA-SHR) is calling at Swansea, I saw it myself this morning. Thirdly, the mass bulk of pax from stations such as Llandovery, Ammanford etc. all are going to Swansea.

EDIT : Gowerton has never been a REQ stop on the 0900 SHR-SWA.

merlodlliw

Established Member
I am reassured that this is a NRE error. For one thing there is no reason whatsoever to alter one specific movement to omit Swansea. Secondly the reverse movement at the same time (CDF-SWA-SHR) is calling at Swansea, I saw it myself this morning. Thirdly, the mass bulk of pax from stations such as Llandovery, Ammanford etc. all are going to Swansea.

EDIT : Gowerton has never been a REQ stop on the 0900 SHR-SWA.

Strange Gowerton being ommitted, fully agree with you, the majority of pax further down the line see Swansea as the City for its requirements.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Strange Gowerton being ommitted, fully agree with you, the majority of pax further down the line see Swansea as the City for its requirements.

No point / necessity calling at Gowerton - the Pembroke Dock - Swansea local service calls there a few minutes later. Needed at peak time / rush hour (0853) and later as there are no services between 1704 and 1904 otherwise.

Michael.Y

Established Member
So I presume no one ever wanted to get off the HOWL at Gowerton on this train.

Bob

Never to my knowledge, and I worked the diagram 15 times over the past 8 months. Besides, if they did, it was "change at Llanelli" in the same way Leominster is "change at Hereford/Ludlow" for Holyhead trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.