• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A bad day

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallangong

Hello,

I apologise in advance as this is quite simply a rant.

I returned to the UK again today, arriving at LHR. I now work abroad in a developing country after previously commuting to London for a number of years.

1. My first issue was trying to get to Kings Cross, to catch a train to my final destination - Sandy. No simple route so I ended up getting the Heathrow Express and then traversing an appallingly signposted Paddington to get the Hamersmith and City Line (after there was no indication whether was better getting that of the Circle Line). Why is the routing not made clearer?

2. After making it to Kings Cross (a process which involved many flights of stairs with luggage) I then couldn't see the departures at first (screen broken) and then couldn't buy a ticket by my platform (6) as the ticket office has moved to the new concourse. The signs to the ticket office would have taken me outside in the pouring rain instead of through the quicker internal walkway. I ignored the signs.

3. I asked for a return. As I was not returning off peak this was not possible. I would have to purchase 2 singles. I presume there are some issues around open returns on routes close to London, but it is still madness.

4. I am now sat on the train being updated with the latest happenings in the sex life of the passenger next to me who finds it a priority update her friend by phone. As she accurately keeps telling the friend the signal is poor (albeit stated in more course terms) and so she is mitigating that by shouting.

Excellent. Although this has left me keen to get back I am not looking forward to the trip ack to LHR next week. At least it will all be sorted in time for the Olympics...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
4. I am now sat on the train being updated with the latest happenings in the sex life of the passenger next to me who finds it a priority update her friend by phone.

Is it an active life?

We need a 21+ section of the forum for things like this :) already suggested to forum management.

gnolife

Established Member
Hello,

I apologise in advance as this is quite simply a rant.

I returned to the UK again today, arriving at LHR. I now work abroad in a developing country after previously commuting to London for a number of years.

1. My first issue was trying to get to Kings Cross, to catch a train to my final destination - Sandy. No simple route so I ended up getting the Heathrow Express and then traversing an appallingly signposted Paddington to get the Hamersmith and City Line (after there was no indication whether was better getting that of the Circle Line). Why is the routing not made clearer?

2. After making it to Kings Cross (a process which involved many flights of stairs with luggage) I then couldn't see the departures at first (screen broken) and then couldn't buy a ticket by my platform (6) as the ticket office has moved to the new concourse. The signs to the ticket office would have taken me outside in the pouring rain instead of through the quicker internal walkway. I ignored the signs.

3. I asked for a return. As I was not returning off peak this was not possible. I would have to purchase 2 singles. I presume there are some issues around open returns on routes close to London, but it is still madness.

4. I am now sat on the train being updated with the latest happenings in the sex life of the passenger next to me who finds it a priority update her friend by phone. As she accurately keeps telling the friend the signal is poor (albeit stated in more course terms) and so she is mitigating that by shouting.

Excellent. Although this has left me keen to get back I am not looking forward to the trip ack to LHR next week. At least it will all be sorted in time for the Olympics...

Was the Piccadilly Line broken? otherwise thats Direct from any terminal to King's Cross.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I was thinking that. A bit slow, but very definitely direct, and I think there's lifts up from all platforms to the surface now aren't there?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's cheap to take the Piccadilly Line to Finsbury Park and change there for Sandy, though it may take longer it will be more straightforward. It would have saved you about £20.

As for Paddington[[stn]PAD[/stn]], you probably are best off being roughly near the rear of the train, and using the overbridge to the H&C/Circle platforms. Platforms 7 & 8 have a ramp, while other platforms require the use of steps. If step-free access is important, and you arrive on any other platform, you're best off being at the front of the train. See the station plan here.

I then couldn't see the departures at first (screen broken) and then couldn't buy a ticket by my platform (6) as the ticket office has moved to the new concourse. The signs to the ticket office would have taken me outside in the pouring rain instead of through the quicker internal walkway. I ignored the signs.
I'm not sure about this. I thought the route from the LU station to the new concourse was signed correctly.

You could have got an Anytime Return from Heathrow Rail to Sandy.

It sounds like you are paying:

Heathrow Rail - London Terminals £19.00
London Terminals - Sandy £17.90
Sandy - London Terminals £17.90
London Terminals - Heathrow Rail £19.00
With, presumably, 2 x Oyster PAYG singles, £2 each way totalling £4.

Grand total £77.80

A through Anytime Return fare from Heathrow Rail to Sandy is £79.80, so it does cost £2 more but you don't have to faff around buying any more than the one ticket.

Alternatively you can save money by using Oyster PAYG between Heathrow and Finsbury park (£2.90 each way) plus Finsbury Park to Sandy (£16.90) and Sandy to Finsbury Park (£17.40) totalling £40.10, saving around £37 by avoiding the overpriced Heathrow Express. Or change at King's Cross (see below) for only £1.50 more.

I was thinking that. A bit slow, but very definitely direct, and I think there's lifts up from all platforms to the surface now aren't there?
Yes, so the whole journey is step-free if using the Piccadilly Line and changing at King's Cross.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/16769.aspx
http://londonist.com/2011/01/the-complex-lifts-of-kings-cross-st-pancras.php

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where does the OP mention Oyster ? If he normally lives either a) abraod or b) in Sandy I would have thought it unlikely that he has an Oyster.
The OP does not mention Oyster, so I said "presumably".

Sandy's nothing! I live in York but have an Oyster card, and I know a lot of people who live nowhere near London who do. It would be worth it even if you only did one journey to London a year.

If an Oyster card is not held then it would seem bizarre that a through ticket was not purchased. Most people ask for through tickets, not "split tickets", and this split (if Oyster is used) saves £2 but I am unsure it's worth it for such a small saving over the through fare.

The OP is at least aware of Oyster, having asked if it possible to load Travelcards onto Oyster in March 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.