• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A bit of layout design help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening me dears.

I was wondering if any of you clever technically minded folks could help me out here?
I’ve sketched out a plan for the future expansion of my railway and I’ve seen some of your model railway plans where you’ve computerised them and they look really good.
I’ve no idea how to do such a thing though and was wondering if any of you either fancy having a go at doing it for me (and in return I’ll owe you a beer or two if you’re old enough ;)), or maybe tell me how to do it?

Here’s the plan that I’ve sketched out:

29A0BB23-E3CD-420D-8EC4-150283396EF5.jpeg

Where it says ‘A’ are the links to a fiddle yard that’ll be underneath the central section, with the slopes down to it behind each backscene.
None of this is set track apart from possibly the return curves at each end of the layout which will be either 2nd or 3rd radius.

Obviously if you’ve read my ramblings you’ll already know that I’ve built the first part (the bit at the bottom of the picture) which is Lapford. The other station will be a version of Eggesford (the next station towards Barnstaple in real life).

The piece of paper signifies the whole of the new cabin and I’ve now managed to convince Mrs C that I really must have most of the back room for strategic N gauge purposes...;)

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
You can download a programme called Anyrail which is quite easy to use and fun to mess around with, but it costs if you want to use the full version.

It looks an interesting layout though :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can download a programme called Anyrail which is quite easy to use and fun to mess around with, but it costs if you want to use the full version.

It looks an interesting layout though :)
I’ll have a look at that thanks Iskra.

SteveM70

Established Member
One observation on your plan, which relates to something of a bugbear of mine.....

If you used the road overbridges in the bottom right and top right corners as the scenic breaks, you could have trains appearing and disappearing either in a straight line or on only a slight curve, rather than the very sharp curves further on. This then means you could avoid carriages etc with their front corners sticking out an unrealistic amount, if you see what I mean.

But it looks a good plan to me, enough there to make operating fun and you can always just watch the trains go round and round

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One observation on your plan, which relates to something of a bugbear of mine.....

If you used the road overbridges in the bottom right and top right corners as the scenic breaks, you could have trains appearing and disappearing either in a straight line or on only a slight curve, rather than the very sharp curves further on. This then means you could avoid carriages etc with their front corners sticking out an unrealistic amount, if you see what I mean.

But it looks a good plan to me, enough there to make operating fun and you can always just watch the trains go round and round
Yes I have been thinking about that myself Steve, it’s a bugbear of mine too.
The thing that’s throwing me at the moment is the main road at the back of the layout as I’m just not sure how to blend it in.
I’m still thinking of a better way of doing it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.