• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A bit of North Yorkshire Moors advice please? Now with added trip report!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening me dears. ;)

Mrs C and myself are going to be in Whitby on holiday the week after next and I’m looking at doing a trip on the NYMR but from Whitby. This should be on Tuesday 28th June.

I’ve got a few questions though because I’ve never actually travelled on the line before.
These are:

1) Will a later service from Whitby be less busy (I’m thinking about late morning if possible), or do I need to book?
2) Is there much to do at Pickering (a nice pub lunch, stuff to see etc)?
3) What are the motive power arrangements on NR sections and the preserved original route? Does the same loco stick to the train or is there a loco swap en route?

Any other advice that I haven’t thought of would be greatly appreciated though so feel free to fact me one or more times.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't be a massive help with this but I think on a Tuesday you should be OK to not have to pre-book; it's not the school holidays yet. If it was, then I would be booking. That said, if you know the trains you want to get, booking may not be a bad idea.

Pickering is a small market town (a bit of a magnet for people from villages nearby as well as tourists); I am sure there will be decent pubs there but I can't advise on that though. (I could probably ask some people and get back to you)

Pickering Castle may be worth a visit. Plus plenty of walking opportunities, including alongside the railway line (a circular route crossing the line looks possible).

I've not tended to hang around in Pickering; I really should visit properly sometime. It tends to be a case of jumping on the bus towards Malton/York or, on about 4 occasions I've got straight on my bike for the cycle ride to Malton (via the quiet 'scenic' route, not the A169!)

If you are around on the 29th there is a forum meal at The Sidings, by the way! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can't be a massive help with this but I think on a Tuesday you should be OK to not have to pre-book; it's not the school holidays yet. If it was, then I would be booking. That said, if you know the trains you want to get, booking may not be a bad idea.

Pickering is a small market town (a bit of a magnet for people from villages nearby as well as tourists); I am sure there will be decent pubs there but I can't advise on that though. (I could probably ask some people and get back to you)

Pickering Castle may be worth a visit. Plus plenty of walking opportunities, including alongside the railway line (a circular route crossing the line looks possible).

I've not tended to hang around in Pickering; I really should visit properly sometime. It tends to be a case of jumping on the bus towards Malton/York or, on about 4 occasions I've got straight on my bike for the cycle ride to Malton (via the quiet 'scenic' route, not the A169!)

If you are around on the 29th there is a forum meal at The Sidings, by the way! ;)

Thanks for that, all useful.
I might be nursing a nosebleed from being so far north actually… :lol:

John Webb

Established Member
Looking at https://www.nymr.co.uk/pages/category/webcams, at present they seem to be running diesels (Class 37) only between Whitby and Grosmont and changing to steam at Grosmont for the rest of the journey to Pickering.
Additional info: The 10am train from Whitby, when passing the Goathland webcam, appears to normally less than half-full, so should give you plenty of room, I would have thought.

Pickering is a very pleasant town with plenty of pubs and eating places, antique shops and almost opposite the railway station a paperback bookshop with a remarkable range of second-hand paperback books for sale. Besides Pickering Castle there is the Beck Isle Museum with wide-ranging displays on local history, agriculture, the railway and other subjects. (Some time since I was last there so can't recall where we ate or make any recommendations.)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking at https://www.nymr.co.uk/pages/category/webcams, at present they seem to be running diesels (Class 37) only between Whitby and Grosmont and changing to steam at Grosmont for the rest of the journey to Pickering.
Additional info: The 10am train from Whitby, when passing the Goathland webcam, appears to normally less than half-full, so should give you plenty of room, I would have thought.

Pickering is a very pleasant town with plenty of pubs and eating places, antique shops and almost opposite the railway station a paperback bookshop with a remarkable range of second-hand paperback books for sale. Besides Pickering Castle there is the Beck Isle Museum with wide-ranging displays on local history, agriculture, the railway and other subjects. (Some time since I was last there so can't recall where we ate or make any recommendations.)

That’s great John thank you.

Veteran Member
Pickering is a pleasant town, and the mediaeval wall paintings in the parish church are well worth a look. Loads of eateries, though I've not tested them, and if you catch the 1235 off Whitby you'll be rather late for lunch!

Bear in mind that there will be no trains from Whitby on a strike day - NYMR say they will operate limited RRBs. And that officially the afternoon train arriving Whitby 1655 is only available for passengers who travel out on the 1000; however it is unlikely in practice to be full - from another thread the problem train is the evening one back to Pickering.

A colleague recently reported a train T&T by a 9F and a King Arthur (presumably an S15 actually).

If time and Mrs C allow, walking through the original tunnel to Grosmont MPD, or indeed up or down the incline to Goathland, is worth it.

John Webb

Established Member
Locos yesterday were the S15, Q6 and J27 between Pickering and Grosmont and the Class 37 running Grosmont-Whitby-Grosmont trains.

Not clear what happened exactly yesterday (20th June) but the 16.30 Grosmont-Pickering left over 30 min late with the J27 and returned around 18.00 having apparently terminated at Goathland. I'm not clear what happened to the last train from Whitby.

According to the NYMR website, NR are not opening Nunthorpe box which controls the Whitby line on strike days, so NYMR trains can't access the branch.

thejuggler

From my experience of about half a dozen trips on the NYMR it is best approached with a 'what will be will be' attitude as it often doesn't go to plan! Its the joy of running a 20+ mile heritage railway.

My last trip was a few years ago. We were very late leaving Whitby and ended up with a couple of traction changes, adding to the delay. I'm pretty sure we ended up with Sir Nigel Gresley hauling.

Ploughman

Established Member
Locos yesterday were the S15, Q6 and J27 between Pickering and Grosmont and the Class 37 running Grosmont-Whitby-Grosmont trains.

Not clear what happened exactly yesterday (20th June) but the 16.30 Grosmont-Pickering left over 30 min late with the J27 and returned around 18.00 having apparently terminated at Goathland. I'm not clear what happened to the last train from Whitby.

According to the NYMR website, NR are not opening Nunthorpe box which controls the Whitby line on strike days, so NYMR trains can't access the branch.
I believe there was a serious lineside fire that closed the line.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Helpful stuff everyone thank you!
I’m really looking forward to it I must say.

philthetube

Established Member
There is/was a flea market on the right as you walk up the main street in Pickering, there was quite a bit or f railway memorabilia last time I was there.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An actual trip report from me!

I thought I’d report back on the general going’s on over the last couple of weeks…

We headed off on the Monday to Whitby via a stopover with some family in Quorn near Loughborough. One mild hangover in the bag we then found ourselves in Whitby on the Tuesday afternoon (28th June) where we’d rented an Airbnb type place for three nights.
It wasn’t quite what I was expecting as it was basically a flat in a modern housing estate quite a way out of town. However it was clean and really comfortable plus a taxi back up the hill from the town centre was only about £5.80 which was fine.

A battle with NYMR website then occurred before I gave up on it and bought two tickets to Pickering for the next day over the phone.

Whitby:

It’s really nice isn’t it? I mean I had been there for the day before once but I couldn’t really remember it and it was a long time ago. I loved all the activity, the boats, the scenery, the pubs, the seagulls (I know they’re ruthless b******s but I love that about them :lol:), OK one of them did drop a passing bomb on my jeans but I was on holiday and I just didn’t care! The fact that that same seagull had just flown away with a really cool looking guys battered sausage did help with my not getting too annoyed to be fair…:)

“Mummy! The seagull’s taking me!!”
40F45345-1F32-4747-A170-EE58D2CDC861.jpeg

Trains. That’s what we’re here for…

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway

Ok, well loads of you have probably been on this line but I don’t know if you’ve ever driven there from Exeter? It’s a very long way! I’ve been hankering after a trip on the line for years and years and I finally got to do it including the NR Esk Valley bit.

It didn’t disappoint…

Basically we had the ex Southern S15 - 828 from Whitby to Goathland where we went for a walk and had lunch in the village. I used to watch Heartbeat back in the day sometimes and it was lovely to see the real place and how it all sits in the landscape.
The North Yorkshire Moors was increasingly feeling to us like Dartmoor but on steroids. Quite similar but bigger and much quieter (obviously we did this trip before the summer holidays though so it will no doubt be much busier soon).

Rather than banging on about the steam trip I put all the clips of the S15 as well as a few taken from the lineside the day after on this video. If you’re not interested in steam then you can skip it!

The plan was that after the steam we’d have then picked up 37264 from Goathland to Pickering, then a mooch around the town and a quick pint in one of the two pubs recommended by @DarloRich before taking the S15 back to Grosmont which would then have been replaced by 37403 for the bit back to Whitby.
Yep that was the plan.

37264 turned up for a slightly plodding trip to Pickering (lovely station, lovely town), both the pubs were shut, plus the S15 had failed in the afternoon due to a broken spring…
A fairly late 37403 eventually rolled in and took us all the way back to Whitby.

That wasn’t the whole story though.
What followed was one of the most storming runs I’ve had on a preserved line for a long while and the memories of belting out of Crianlarich behind the same loco in the same livery 32 (argh!) years earlier were more than alive as the sun came out and the beautiful scenery passed the windows. Mrs C was also loving the thrash and we were able to enjoy it with a couple of beers because we’d walked to the station at Whitby earlier.
Here’s a video (which I see our man @47403 has already commented on. Thanks Mickey!):

So that was that. We did a boat trip afterwards and headed back to the apartment. I loved the NYMR, we’ll definitely do it again at some point.

The day after we did a big walk around Goathland taking in a waterfall and then back up the incline before spending a bit of time having a picnic by a stream and watching the trains going by.

Where next? North or West..?

Have van will travel, so even though we’d originally thought of heading north towards Durham, Newcastle and maybe even Northumbria we’d ended up buying a book of maps and walks in the Yorkshire Dales (it was £1.50 in a charity shop in Pickering).
It looked tempting, so with a few more bits of advice from @DarloRich we decided to head that way instead and maybe do the stuff further north next year.
Now I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Yorkshire but it’s big. I mean really big!

The next few nights were spent wild camping in various remote places.
In this order:

1) Overlooking Robin Hoods Bay.
2) In the middle of the North Yorkshire Moors near a pub called The Lion Inn - Blakey Ridge.
3) Underneath Pen-Y-Ghent (yes the one 44008 is named after) via a visit to Ribblehead Viaduct.
4) In a really pleasant pub carpark at Malham after walking around Malham Cove and another waterfall.
5) Very high up on top of the moors near Settle.

We barely saw a soul at the places we camped (although there were a lot of sheep) and the scenery was absolutely amazing. I’m so glad we went over that way and while I’m at it thank you to everyone who gave us advice. It was very much appreciated and useful. :)
Here’s some photos.

An sheep:
B15CD573-88D1-4F37-B1C2-392F33189841.jpeg

I asked my other half to take a picture of me looking like I was holding Ribblehead Viaduct up. Ok I know I didn’t quite get the perspective right but then taking this photo, telling me it was great and then laughing for fully ten minutes about it was actually rather hurtful I thought…
025C4027-9EF1-420A-B4BD-E338D66BA566.jpeg

This was a fantastic camping spot somewhere south of Clapham station near Settle. The photo doesn’t do it justice but we were so high up and you could see for miles:
73CBDA3A-6770-4D66-B359-8D51041500AF.jpeg

Keighley and Worth Valley Railway

The fact that we would be passing another railway that I’d never visited was of course purely incidental (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it).

Again another fantastic line. It just oozes history and character and despite only being five miles long it’s got a bit of everything.
Obviously all the connections with the original Railway Children film give it an extra layer of interest as well.

I did a wee video of the trip on the line, I’m no Steven Spielberg but if you like the sound of a little BR 2MT working hard then this one is for you.
Many thanks to Mister @Iskra for his very useful advice on how best to do the line. It was also lovely having a bit of lunch in the ever so beautiful Haworth after a walk up the hill too.
An excellent railway that I’d highly recommend.

Phew nearly there.

York

On our way back home we visited my stepbrother and family for the night in Leeds and then headed over to York for our first ever proper visit to the city. What a place.

It was baking hot but so beautiful with all the medieval streets, York Minster and the old shops. Some great bookshops too and would you believe it? It’s even got a railway museum! I mean who knew? :lol:

This is (although not currently) a very fast locomotive that’s apparently named after a duck:
4F13BFF3-C14D-4D5D-B7CC-1A26D3E77A4C.jpeg

This is a very old locomotive that’s named after a firework:
224839F3-AFB7-455B-9CE7-FFFBB65CB93F.jpeg

This a big whistling green old friend (D200):
E6B5989D-513C-4F5B-B28D-241104684E46.jpeg

And this is a beast that didn’t want to put the others to shame by being inside (D1023):
858F2644-6574-4FE8-BAE7-3E5887663C9D.jpeg

So that was our trip to Yorkshire. As I said it’s really big, and somewhat beautiful as well. Oh and they love a dry stone wall.
Don’t tell anyone but we both said that we’d be happy to live there. I’d obviously have to change my username to Yorkshirey, Yorkey oh I don’t know.
Maybe the artist formerly known as Cowley? It’s too complicated, we’ll just have to visit there more often…

By the time we’d been to see more family in Lincolnshire and also picked up one of the boys stuff from university in Cardiff we ended up doing 1100 miles in the van!

Thanks for reading. :)

John Webb

Established Member
Glad you enjoyed it. I've had a couple of trips on the NYMR and I've lost count of trips on the K&WVR and the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway. (If I went back through some 40 years of photos I could probably tot them up!). Over those 40+ years some 30+ holidays have been in Yorkshire, mostly in or close to the Dales, a couple in the NYM and several in the Vale of York. A wonderful county!

You were lucky with the NYMR - this weekend they've gone over to a reduced timetable due to a high fire risk, and steam-hauled trains (other than Whitby-Grosmont) are also having a diesel attached to assist the train through the critical areas of the moors and forestry plantations.

Iskra

Established Member
Well, that looked an epic holiday! I'm glad you enjoyed the items of railway interest that you just happened to stumble upon! :D I agree, about the 37 being thrashy, I was thinking the same watching your video earlier. You camped in some really stunning locations, I'm very envious particularly of those in the Settle/Ribblehead/Clapham area as I love it up there. That is a lot of driving though, hope you took it in turns!

Oh, and welcome to the trip reporting community ;) :D

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that noise off 37403! Phwoar! :D I was going to comment on 37402 sounding better when I did it almost 7 years ago (29th July 2015) but I am not too certain on that now. 402 is still an absolute beast though, and here comes a shameless plug of some footage of it:

Sorry, I just had to do it. Hard to believe it was that long ago!

It looks like it was an epic time in Yorkshire, both on the railways and with the camping. Some fantastic choices of places to camp, clearly :wub: The viaduct angle, yeah it didn't quite work but it just means you have a good excuse to go and do it again!

I haven't done a proper explore of York yet, the last time I went it was just as a base between trains overnight. It is firmly on my list of places to go, there's a megaton of cycling and walking to do up that way so it needs pushing up my list. I have a lot of places on that list, but your trip report has encouraged me to move it up! I haven't been to Whitby since TPX ran 158s, I think it was 2005 when I went. My memory of the place is just not great, 17 years on, and a visit in 2008 was simply to mark off the railway as done. Got off, took a selfie, got back on again! Another reason to push the visit to Yorkshire up the list!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I enjoyed the read and have been encouraged to visit the area myself. The KWVR is firmly on my list to do too!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad you enjoyed it. I've had a couple of trips on the NYMR and I've lost count of trips on the K&WVR and the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway. (If I went back through some 40 years of photos I could probably tot them up!). Over those 40+ years some 30+ holidays have been in Yorkshire, mostly in or close to the Dales, a couple in the NYM and several in the Vale of York. A wonderful county!

You were lucky with the NYMR - this weekend they've gone over to a reduced timetable due to a high fire risk, and steam-hauled trains (other than Whitby-Grosmont) are also having a diesel attached to assist the train through the critical areas of the moors and forestry plantations.

Thanks John, yes it was great. I saw the after effects of the lineside fire that @Ploughman mentioned upthread and it looked like it was a whopping great fire. It must be tinder dry up there now though after the last few days.
The Embsey is very much on the list to cover at some point…

Wow that noise off 37403! Phwoar! :D I was going to comment on 37402 sounding better when I did it almost 7 years ago (29th July 2015) but I am not too certain on that now. 402 is still an absolute beast though, and here comes a shameless plug of some footage of it:

Sorry, I just had to do it. Hard to believe it was that long ago!

It looks like it was an epic time in Yorkshire, both on the railways and with the camping. Some fantastic choices of places to camp, clearly :wub: The viaduct angle, yeah it didn't quite work but it just means you have a good excuse to go and do it again!

I haven't done a proper explore of York yet, the last time I went it was just as a base between trains overnight. It is firmly on my list of places to go, there's a megaton of cycling and walking to do up that way so it needs pushing up my list. I have a lot of places on that list, but your trip report has encouraged me to move it up! I haven't been to Whitby since TPX ran 158s, I think it was 2005 when I went. My memory of the place is just not great, 17 years on, and a visit in 2008 was simply to mark off the railway as done. Got off, took a selfie, got back on again! Another reason to push the visit to Yorkshire up the list!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I enjoyed the read and have been encouraged to visit the area myself. The KWVR is firmly on my list to do too!

Thanks Tech. I’d definitely advise getting up there and exploring the area.
As far as it goes with the 37/4s - they always seem to make more of a racket than the unrefurbished 37/0s for some reason. I’ve no idea why though, possibly something to do with the way they’re set up and also how they deliver power via their alternators? I don’t know!
I’ve got a few clips of 37423 on the Cumbrian Coast from a few years ago and I’ve never put them on YouTube. Maybe I will at some point though.
3387454B-7E63-4C71-99AD-50A52EE913E7.jpeg

Well, that looked an epic holiday! I'm glad you enjoyed the items of railway interest that you just happened to stumble upon! :D I agree, about the 37 being thrashy, I was thinking the same watching your video earlier. You camped in some really stunning locations, I'm very envious particularly of those in the Settle/Ribblehead/Clapham area as I love it up there. That is a lot of driving though, hope you took it in turns!
Thanks Iskra. I’m pleased to admit that it definitely isn’t grim up north and we had a lovely time not being in a rush and getting to know the area.
I’m ashamed to say that although Sharon does drive the van, I entirely hogged it over the two weeks because I was really enjoying driving around in that scenery. Even with some the strange behaviour displayed by sheep.

You’ll never take me aliiiiive….
5B728474-27C4-46C1-A7E8-2A7B7F721633.jpeg

Oh, and welcome to the trip reporting community ;)

I actually used to do them. It’s been a while though. Unfortunately it’s just really difficult with everything else to find the time you need to do it properly these days. I still enjoy reading other people’s though. :)

Sounded like a nice holiday visiting various places :)
Thanks Mr Kite.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh 37425 there, that's one I have fond memories of. I've had so many miles off it I actually can't remember the number. An absolute beast! No idea myself why the /4s seem louder, equally I'm not complaining. I did have a lacklustre trip with 37401 once on the Scottish sleeper, one of the most unenjoyable rides of that year!

37203, however, breaks all those rules and it will always be my favourite. It was my first 37, way back in October 2004, and as a result it'll always be the best. Similar for 7802 Bradley Manor, an absolutely beast GWR steam loco and my first mainline steam experience. Manors remain my favourite GWR steam locos, of course I still like a good Hall, King or Castle as well!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oops. I said 37423… :oops:
It’s easy to get mixed up with these things…

Established Member
Another Great Read there. That was one helluva trip Mr Cowley. Great break for both you and Mrs C. 1100 miles, is some going mind, saying that, I'm surprised Tech didnt pass you on the way, the amount of miles hes been putting in too on his bike. :lol: Sounded like the trip away, was just what the Dr ordered.

37403's performance was immense. When I shared the video with her, The other half said, she was close to flailing herself, as she watched from the settee. Instead she sent a text just saying, "puppydog grrrrrrr":lol:

xotGD

Established Member
Looks like you had a great time here in "God's Own Country".

It's a few years since I was last on the NYMR - a trip across sounds tempting!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@Cowley Looks like you had a great time - glad to have helped in any way. Sorry the pubs were shut. Did you try the one at Whitby station? I cant say I have ever seen it open but it has a good choice of ale!

We did a trip on the NYMR a few years ago and there was ALMOST a refusal when the 37 showed up at Pickering. It took a lot of persuading (and a takeaway breakfast) the 37 would come off at Grosmont! The OH is quite happy to go on a preserved railway AS LONG AS a steamer shows up!

it is fantastic up there. I do miss it living down south now.

Veteran Member
And the KWVR is likewise using diesel vice steam (not just on the Diesel and Ale event) - with the current heat and drought the trend is likely to spread IMO.

xotGD

Established Member
And the KWVR is likewise using diesel vice steam (not just on the Diesel and Ale event) - with the current heat and drought the trend is likely to spread IMO.
So that is why the 37 was out yesterday. And there's me assuming that 78022 had failed!

Status
Not open for further replies.