• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Danc87

so atm have one application under consideration and one as test completed any idea how many it has to be narrowed down from amd how they narrow the field for application?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Narom

Depends how many apply and how many they want to interview.

I was only one of six for my box and that was for two roles .

nom de guerre

One for internals...

Those of you able to access work emails from a home PC can now view the internal job list via MyConnect.

A welcome, if surprising development!

Last edited:

Danc87

I looked at the didcot ones 3hours by train for me or 2 and half hour drive traffic depending

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
One for internals...

Those of you able to access work emails from a home PC can now view the internal job list via MyConnect.

A welcome, if surprising development!

That’ll be good seeing I’m always locking myself out of my account! lol

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I looked at the didcot ones 3hours by train for me or 2 and half hour drive traffic depending

Take it from one who has done it, daily commute is a hell of a life on top of a 12hr turn, lodging/camping isn’t up to much either, although it’s do’able as a short term 18-24 month stepping stone.

I’d assume there’ll be a fair few internal grsde 7s for the grsde 9 jobs, but saying that my course had four out of the 7 of us going straight into Grade 9.

Danc87

Take it from one who has done it, daily commute is a hell of a life on top of a 12hr turn, lodging/camping isn’t up to much either, although it’s do’able as a short term 18-24 month stepping stone.

I’d assume there’ll be a fair few internal grsde 7s for the grsde 9 jobs, but saying that my course had four out of the 7 of us going straight into Grade 9.
im just looking for my foot in the door ive got my heart set on this career now

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
That’s what it was for me, 6 years of applications to get that vital first step.

I was literally prepared to go virtually anywhere as long as the numbers stacked up.

TVSC is lodge on site friendly, and it’s a very very good place to learn the trade.
I’m told by my mate who’s still on the inside there that the majority of these positions are for talent pools, in fact all the grsde 9s are - however there are grade 7 jobs open now.

They’ll be link 3 which is Swindon, Didcot & Oxford with Stoke Gifford on Relief.

Amack92

Hello Everyone
New to this forum, been watching for a few weeks now looking for information. I can see that everyone is pretty helpful with there information. I have applied for 2 roles, one is at Gainsborough (Northorpe SB) and the other is at mansfield (Shirebrook Junction SB)
Questions i have, does anybody know the shift patterns for either of these? And is there anyone else on here that has applied for either? Both my applications are currently at 'Under Consideration'.

Any information would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Danc87

That’s what it was for me, 6 years of applications to get that vital first step.

I was literally prepared to go virtually anywhere as long as the numbers stacked up.

TVSC is lodge on site friendly, and it’s a very very good place to learn the trade.
I’m told by my mate who’s still on the inside there that the majority of these positions are for talent pools, in fact all the grsde 9s are - however there are grade 7 jobs open now.

They’ll be link 3 which is Swindon, Didcot & Oxford with Stoke Gifford on Relief.
What do u mean lodge on site friendly? And what's link3? So u think should just have a try for the grade 7?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There are/were a number of us who used to lodge on site (in the car park) in camper vans. A blind eye was turned to suitable vehicles aka ones that could/had the ability to self move. A caravan wasn’t permitted though.

Link 3 covers Swindon, Didcot, Oxford and the Level Crossing desk.

Link 3 has live vacancies at the moment, the grade 9 jobs cover two links - link 2 is Newbury, Reading West, Reading & Slough with link 1 covering Paddington, Acton, Hayes and Maidenhead. Those jobs are to cover future openings due to retirementa over the next 12-18 months.

Personally I would get in on grade 7, and if you fancy a small pay increase for a lot more stress then put in for the grade 9s when they come up.

Andrew*Debbie

There are some reasonably priced Airbnb's not too far from where I think TVSC is. Hmmmm....
I doubt there is a sane way to make this work for me. North Wales is too far away. Debbie isn't ready to move yet. I'd be spending a lot of my time on a train.

Still waiting to hear about the Grade 1 crossing keeper post. Do the signal boxes in North Wales show up on the internal vacancies list often enough to make that worth pursuing? I wouldn't want to be a crossing keeper forever. My hope is to move up to a local signal box after a year or two.

We could move to Didcot or Cardiff in three or four years. But we both like living in North Wales. Dunno if I can convince Debbie to move.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’d say stay in Wales mate, Didcot is very expensive and I’d say not the nicest place to live. Traffic is very very bad, Didcot it’s self is poor shop wise etc.

Manchester ROC would that work for you?
Best bet is keep an eye on the list, I had a look today on the internal list, not much at all going really - nothing in Wales anyway.

Andrew*Debbie

Manchester ROC would be less insane. BNG to Ashburys is 2:40 to 3:01. Change at CRE and MAN. It is about 100 miles to drive ~ 2 hours when the traffic isn't too bad. It can take 3 hours when the traffic is bad. Maybe if we move somewhere near Llandudno Junction.

I'd still need to get a room some of the time, especially if they are on 12 hour shifts.

Last edited:

galaxynew

Does anyone know what "Manchester North" actually means as a location for a signaller vacancy that has just come on the external list?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Manchester North is a panel location on its own I think, certainly not the ROC in Ashburys.

Manchester area still has quite a few high grade locations.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Manchester ROC would be less insane. BNG to Ashburys is 2:40 to 3:01. Change at CRE and MAN. It is about 100 miles to drive ~ 2 hours when the traffic isn't too bad. It can take 3 hours when the traffic is bad. Maybe if we move somewhere near Llandudno Junction.

I'd still need to get a room some of the time, especially if they are on 12 hour shifts.

Llandudno, Bangor, Chester would be ideal for you then I’d assume.

North Wales Coast occasional make it onto the external, not seen them on the internal for ages though.

There’s a few North West area jobs on at the moment, hopefully they’ll make it external for you guys.

galaxynew

Manchester North is a panel location on its own I think, certainly not the ROC in Ashburys.

Manchester area still has quite a few high grade locations.

Thanks for the reply, the one advertised is a Grade 3 but says 18 Month Secondment?

LeGrimpeur

Question; do the network rail signaller tests count as part of the mainline driver two strikes if failed?
Are they done via the opc or is it internal to network rail?
Cheers

SignallerJohn

Cheers. Do network rail have any limits on the number of times you can take their tests? Been sent numerical and verbal reasoning online tests. Fiirst time I’ll be taking those with network rail.
Once you’ve done them I believe the results stay for a year or 6 months (someone might tell you 100%). Do the test ones first, and when it comes to do them properly, set yourself some time and really crack on.