• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

soswales

Yes it does.

Im currently in the police and my 2 year probation runs out on the 27th Feb so my notice will need to be in before that date as they will not keep me on knowing Im going to another job.

Well done Owen, looks like a few of us are trying to transfer from the Police to the railway network. They will have no staff left before long! lol. Wishing you all the best with training! Hopefully I will find out soon if I passed my interview for Cardiff! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Narom

Passed my medical for grade 2 signal box at Monks Sidings last week. Received contact from my new line manager today who advised the next signalling school date would be march/april is this correct?

Well done. I applied for that one, never got to interview stage however looked an interesting box!

I think any leave period may be being considered for school dates. I'm due my start date this week, I could still conceivably do January as my notice period is only 7 days where as police is at least a month isn't it?

Owen Byrne

When I went for interview was told Jan 7th after that was April. The one in Jan might be full around your way.

I also need to give a months botice so they may have thought I couldnt do Jan7th. I might drop him an email today and just state I can get around my notice if there is any earlier dates.

Owen Byrne

Well done. I applied for that one, never got to interview stage however looked an interesting box!

I think any leave period may be being considered for school dates. I'm due my start date this week, I could still conceivably do January as my notice period is only 7 days where as police is at least a month isn't it?

Yes Police is a month notice but they have advised they can work around this, ill send an email today just stating that to see if there is an earlier course.

Owen Byrne

Well done Owen, looks like a few of us are trying to transfer from the Police to the railway network. They will have no staff left before long! lol. Wishing you all the best with training! Hopefully I will find out soon if I passed my interview for Cardiff! :)

Cheers. Fingers crossed for you mate.

The police is not what I thought it would be so looking forward to a change now.

Saracen_83

Most signalling school places are booked up in advance as far as I know, so it could well be that next available course is April 2019... I waited 3 months to get onto mine, so a 4 months wait is conceivable.

Static65

A month ago I was told march for the next available course so this sounds about right. However they said they would be looking to employ me before then to get to know the box and do some local training for a head start before the course.

VX220

When I went for interview was told Jan 7th after that was April. The one in Jan might be full around your way.
Out of interest, is the status of your application still showing as ‘Assessment 2 Scheduled’ for the Cardiff interview?

Owen Byrne

Cardiff grade 2. Had an interview on 26 November, but haven’t heard anything since

I received an email over 2 weeks later stating that I was successful. I did email them and chase it up and they got back to me the same day stating I got it.

soswales

I applied for the Grade 4 post and was interviewed on the 6th. I was told I would hear by the 17th so won't pester them yet haha! Good luck!

Saracen_83

It took 6 weeks for me to hear after interview and have had someone on my course wait 3 months... 2 weeks is good! Just sit tight and wait, you will hear either way soon enough!

VX220

I received an email over 2 weeks later stating that I was successful. I did email them and chase it up and they got back to me the same day stating I got it.
Reading back through this thread, someone has been offered a position from the Cardiff interviews already. Just a matter of time before my status turns to unsuccessful. Happy to have been interviewed though, I’m in a better position now for any future signaller jobs.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Grade 5 jobs are still interviewing, tomorrow and Friday.

There are more jobs opening up at Cardiff area so just hang in there guys.

leomc1627

Passed my medical for grade 2 signal box at Monks Sidings last week. Received contact from my new line manager today who advised the next signalling school date would be march/april is this correct?

I was offered a position at interview and was told I would be going to school in Feb bit I doubt this now as I'm still waiting for my formal offer

Owen Byrne

I was offered a position at interview and was told I would be going to school in Feb bit I doubt this now as I'm still waiting for my formal offer

My line manager has CC’d me into an email with the workforce development planner and they have stated March/April for the next school but no exact dates yet. I wish it was sooner but ill just have to wait.

Cavan

What is the highest grade AB mechanical box still in service? Is it Severn bridge junction in Shrewsbury? (Grade 5/6? and double manned at least on weekdays)

LeGrimpeur

I’ve got a few live applications at the mo, a couple have moved to ‘under consideration for assesment2’.

BIt of a pay range in the jobs. If I got invited to interview for 2 jobs is it bad form to withdraw one of the applications at that Stage? Or have the interview and then withdraw if I had a good feeling about one of the more preferable jobs?
Not just in reference to the money also location and job spec obvs.

To clarify I obviously desire all the jobs I have applied for, but maybe one or two more than the others.
Cheers

Qball

Received the dreaded unsuccessful email. So good look to the rest of you. You sohuld hear back soon.

Saracen_83

I’ve got a few live applications at the mo, a couple have moved to ‘under consideration for assesment2’.

BIt of a pay range in the jobs. If I got invited to interview for 2 jobs is it bad form to withdraw one of the applications at that Stage? Or have the interview and then withdraw if I had a good feeling about one of the more preferable jobs?

To clarify I obviously desire all the jobs I have applied for, but maybe one or two more than the others.
Cheers

Personally if it was me I’d go to both interviews and see what happens. You could be othered both, one or none. No point in limiting your chances.

It won’t be look down upon going to both. Then if successful with one or both, you then choose the more desire able job, or accept the one position your offered.

Good luck

LeGrimpeur

Personally if it was me I’d go to both interviews and see what happens. You could be othered both, one or none. No point in limiting your chances.

It won’t be look down upon going to both. Then if successful with one or both, you then choose the more desire able job, or accept the one position your offered.

Good luck
Good advice. Thankyou for taking the time to respond, appreciate it.

Seejwalker

Cheers

I had two applications running with two different FOC's, I was offered the job by both and turned down the one that was less desirable at this stage (it was even a better role). I also have an interview for a grade 7 signaller role, always keep your eggs spread and never in one basket until you have the best offer for yourself.

nom de guerre

What is the highest grade AB mechanical box still in service? Is it Severn bridge junction in Shrewsbury? (Grade 5/6? and double manned at least on weekdays)

Bognor and Hastings are 5s. Latter only part AB.

Are Stockport 1 & 2 still going? IIRC they were G6/7.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Cheers

Keep as many apps aka job opportunities love as long as possible. The more interviews you have the better chance of landing a job.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’m sure Worcester Srub Hill SB & Worcester Tunnel Junction SB are both Grade 5.

Llandudno Junction and Holyhead are both Grade 5 as well I think, nothing now in South Wales over a grade 3 or at most 4.

Cornish SB beyond Plymouth are tops Grade 4, Penzance being a NX panel in a traditional SB though.