• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Cavan

Think Penzance is still a large lever frame. I know some of the boxes on the Cornish mail line have frames for their stations and then nx panel in addition.
I’m sure Worcester Srub Hill SB & Worcester Tunnel Junction SB are both Grade 5.

Llandudno Junction and Holyhead are both Grade 5 as well I think, nothing now in South Wales over a grade 3 or at most 4.

Cornish SB beyond Plymouth are tops Grade 4, Penzance being a NX panel in a traditional SB though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30Levers

Bognor and Hastings are 5s. Latter only part AB.

Are Stockport 1 & 2 still going? IIRC they were G6/7.

Stockport 1 and 2 are still going, I thought they were grade 7 but might be grade 6 like a previous reply says.

There's also Edgeley 1 and 2 still going, both grade 6 I think.

LeGrimpeur

I had two applications running with two different FOC's, I was offered the job by both and turned down the one that was less desirable at this stage (it was even a better role). I also have an interview for a grade 7 signaller role, always keep your eggs spread and never in one basket until you have the best offer for yourself.
Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

headshot119

Established Member
I’m sure Worcester Srub Hill SB & Worcester Tunnel Junction SB are both Grade 5.

Llandudno Junction and Holyhead are both Grade 5 as well I think, nothing now in South Wales over a grade 3 or at most 4.

Cornish SB beyond Plymouth are tops Grade 4, Penzance being a NX panel in a traditional SB though.

I guess you could count Radyr, with the tokens to Treherbert.

Penzance was a lever frame a short while ago, unless it's been replaced recently?

Narom

I’ve got a few live applications at the mo, a couple have moved to ‘under consideration for assesment2’.

BIt of a pay range in the jobs. If I got invited to interview for 2 jobs is it bad form to withdraw one of the applications at that Stage? Or have the interview and then withdraw if I had a good feeling about one of the more preferable jobs?
Not just in reference to the money also location and job spec obvs.

To clarify I obviously desire all the jobs I have applied for, but maybe one or two more than the others.
Cheers

If you got offered ten interviews before a single job offer I would say do every single one of them.

It's all practice for a start and you never want to second guess anything on the railways!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
What is the highest grade AB mechanical box still in service? Is it Severn bridge junction in Shrewsbury? (Grade 5/6? and double manned at least on weekdays)
As far as I know yes, and I think the only day it isn't doube manned is Sunday.

LeGrimpeur

If you got offered ten interviews before a single job offer I would say do every single one of them.

It's all practice for a start and you never want to second guess anything on the railways!
Thanks for you advice, appreciate it. I’ll take any interview I’m offered.

Seaside Treats

Is there a tendency for new signallers to come from particular work backgrounds? I see emergency services mentioned a lot in this forum. Just wondering what backgrounds recently successful applicants have, and whether it makes any difference. I've had a couple of interviews so far, as yet unsuccessful. Of course, I could just be giving bad answers...but my background is a long way from emergency services work.

SignallerJohn

Is there a tendency for new signallers to come from particular work backgrounds? I see emergency services mentioned a lot in this forum. Just wondering what backgrounds recently successful applicants have, and whether it makes any difference. I've had a couple of interviews so far, as yet unsuccessful. Of course, I could just be giving bad answers...but my background is a long way from emergency services work.
The fact you’re getting to the interview stage shows that you’re doing something right. We have a lot of ex forces here, and I’ve seen a lot of ex police too. It’s just because those jobs are safety critical and communications are vital that they can carry over.

Good evening everyone,

Great forum you have here with lots of beneficial information available for new recruits to the rail signallers world. I am just in the process of applying but struggling to find out any information on the 70 pre screening questions and what I can expect during that part of the application? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LeGrimpeur

Good evening everyone,

Great forum you have here with lots of beneficial information available for new recruits to the rail signallers world. I am just in the process of applying but struggling to find out any information on the 70 pre screening questions and what I can expect during that part of the application? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you click ‘apply’ you can go into the initial application and have a look through. Copy the questions down. Exit the application. Write your answers in word, then when you are ready click ‘apply’ again to start the application again from scratch and copy paste your answers in.

Basically you can go in and have a look before you do it for reals.

Many thanks for the advice LeGrimpeur. I'll give that a go and see if I'm successful.

Narom

Good evening everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry if you can't answer all 70. After 30/40 you probably won't have examples for them as they are role specific. Just put N/A in those boxes.

Sugarpuff

Does anyone have information on the LOM (local operation manager) role. I believe they too sometimes have to complete signalling duties?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
If you click ‘apply’ you can go into the initial application and have a look through. Copy the questions down. Exit the application. Write your answers in word, then when you are ready click ‘apply’ again to start the application again from scratch and copy paste your answers in.

Basically you can go in and have a look before you do it for reals.

That’s what I was going to say, start an app for a Signaller job - copy down the questions into a word document then you’ll be good to go when a real job comes up.

Be aware, the app will time out and you’ll lose your work if you try and write it live.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Does anyone have information on the LOM (local operation manager) role. I believe they too sometimes have to complete signalling duties?

Sometimes, but rare from my experience.
Top tip, don’t go for the job - she’s loads of hassle for crap pay and no security.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’d be very wary about taking a job at Radyr or Abercoyon, with the transfer of Valley Signalling to Transport for Wales as soon as Sept 19.

There is even some concern down at Wales ROC that enforced transfer of some staff could take place, various rumours around TfW not being in the railway pension scheme and transferred staff not being able to move back fo Network Rail should they wish.

No way so I want to transfer that’s for sure.

That’s what I was going to say, start an app for a Signaller job - copy down the questions into a word document then you’ll be good to go when a real job comes up.

Be aware, the app will time out and you’ll lose your work if you try and write it live.
Thanks for the advice. Copied into word 1st then uploaded into the application process. Not the most user friendly software but managed to get there in the end. I await to see if I get through to the next stage...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hello. I have finally finished all 120 pages.
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice contained in this thread.
I found out yesterday that my first attempt at being a signaller was a failure.
I had an interview last week for the 3 positions at Carmarthen, but found out yesterday that I was unsuccessful.
Is it possible to contact the LOM who interviewed me for feedback? If it is possible, is his email address, first name . last name @networkrail.com?
Thanks.

You could... it’s not com though.

Saracen_83

Contact Recruitment who sent the email regarding the interview etc.... they should be able to provide you feedback or give you details of who can

Devonish

Evening everyone, just joined the forum and been reading this thread as I'm looking to join Network Rail as a signaller. Since I left the RN a couple of years ago I've just done temporary type work so looking for something to settle in now!

I'm in the Exeter area but see that there are two jobs going in Cornwall at the moment for signallers in Penzance and Par. Does anyone know these signal boxes or work in the area? I know they won't be around forever from what has been mentioned but I think they have a good few years left in operation? Does anyone know if these boxes work a three (8 hour) or two (12 hour) shift system? I presume most signal boxes stay open overnight but I have read some smaller ones close at the end of the day.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Evening everyone, just joined the forum and been reading this thread as I'm looking to join Network Rail as a signaller. Since I left the RN a couple of years ago I've just done temporary type work so looking for something to settle in now!

I'm in the Exeter area but see that there are two jobs going in Cornwall at the moment for signallers in Penzance and Par. Does anyone know these signal boxes or work in the area? I know they won't be around forever from what has been mentioned but I think they have a good few years left in operation? Does anyone know if these boxes work a three (8 hour) or two (12 hour) shift system? I presume most signal boxes stay open overnight but I have read some smaller ones close at the end of the day.

The two jobs are at Penzance SB and Par SB, both 24/7 SB and secure as you can be down in Cornwall.

Both are traditional SB buildings, Penzance has a NX Panel replacing its levers and Par has a frame and I think a small recently installed NX panel.

Rosters I think are a mix of 8hrs Mon-Fri with 12hrs over the weekend, both Grade 4 jobs.

There is a internal job at Plymouth panel at the moment, the 2nd time in about 5 months so there is always room to move if you wish.

The Cornish SB do it seems struggle to recruit so your previous RN service might well sever you well if you can sell it the right way once the app.