A career as a signaller

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by gradient, 16 May 2016.

1. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

I’ve recently applied for a grade 1 crossing keeper position. According to the advert you’ll do the 12 week signalling school as well. The 70 questions are only 2 questions though!

2. P200E

P200E Member

Just two questions about shifts and medical etc etc. I think you still have to do the school though but not on reduced pay I believe?

3. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

It doesn't mention that but i did wonder! Anyhow, interviews are supposed to be today and I've heard nothing sadly.

4. gareth386

gareth386 Member

You wont need to complete signalling school for a crossing keeper job. It'll be in house training only.

5. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

From my Network Rail career portal:

Mandatory Signalling Apprenticeship and Training

Our Signaller Apprenticeship provides those who are new to the signaller world full training to develop both technical skills and non-technical skills and acquire practical experience through a wide mix of learning. You will benefit from attending a 12 week residential signaller training course followed by a period of supervised on the job training and the opportunity to practise new skills in a real work environment."

So perhaps things have changed?

6. gareth386

gareth386 Member

Maybe its just a generic advert, some form of copy and paste. The reason I say that is that it's not a signaller apprenticeship, you are not a signaller, you are a crossing keeper, you don't need to be rules trained, just job trained. They wouldn't spend the money sending you to school for so long when there's no need to.
    It may be in there to see if you are willing to go for a job that would require that amount of commitment. See if you are willing to commit to the company.

7. MylesHSG

MylesHSG Member

Just don't mention using phones or other personal electronics. Some boxes allow radio's, but unless you know for certain then don't say that.

From what I remember I said: Box housekeeping, reading, crossword puzzles/soduko etc. You may get a follow up like how will you stay alert and I think I said regular tea/coffee, preparing a meal.

In reality the only shift I have trouble with is my 1st night shift of the turn. The rest are easy as you just shift your body clock if you go to bed as soon as you get home and if you can sleep until about 2-3pm.

8. Jaysub

Jaysub Member

Ok thanks people,need some crossing keeper jobs to come up,only one at the moment...i from down south and littlehaven is only one on which is 60 miles

9. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

Haven't seen it mentioned here but it's maybe worth pointing out that due to internal Network Rail IT system upgrades no job offers will be made between 14th June and 24th June.

10. MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless Member

I had heard something about this... I assume they are moving from Windows 3.1 to XP?

11. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

Perfect, thanks for the info

12. SiggerSigAh

SiggerSigAh Member

Morning,

Just been trying to wrap my head around this performance related pay malarkey. Does the below sound correct:

60% local scorecard + 40% national scorecard = 44.81%

44.81% of the maximum £1500 comes out as £672.15

I'm sure I can't be the only one who, in between studiously attacking the rule books of course, does a few sums to try and work out my next pay packet. From what I glean, the above is how PRP is calculated but if anyone could confirm that'd be great.

Thanks!

13. P200E

P200E Member

Anyone had "assessment 2" for Hope Valley, Chapel en le Frith, or Retford?

14. Mordueman

Mordueman Member

I had my first interview for nearly 30 years yesterday in York and I really enjoyed it.
    I would like to thank those of you who gave me advice, it really did help and I felt very confident going into the interview and confident afterwards as well, I couldn't have done it without your help and advice, it is much appreciated.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2019
  15. Trainthetrain

Trainthetrain New Member

Hi there. I’ve been looking through the thread and it’s a great source of information. I’m considering applying for a job as a Signaller and I see that there is a twelve week training course if successful in applying for the role. Does anyone have any experience of the training course? Is it a high intensity course - how did you find the standard of the training? Thanks in advance :)

16. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

It's not caused by IT system upgrades - it's data changes being made for the new region/route structure to be introduced

17. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

Oh right.

18. ROCsteadycrew

ROCsteadycrew Member

Will this affect anything else? For instance - new job adverts appearing, progression of existing applications or updates on the recruitment site?

19. SiggerSigAh

SiggerSigAh Member

Hello matey, I completed the training course last year and to be honest it is very intense. That being said it's also 'realistic', in the sense that providing you knuckle down and give it your all you should be fine. The only people who tend to come badly unstuck are those who mess about and underestimate how much effort is required to get through.

Personally I found the standard of teaching to be very high. You get taught by a mix of people all with their own styles, but one thing they all have in common is that they want you to do well and will go out of their way to encourage you.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything specific, but otherwise I'd just focus on your application for now and worry about Signalling School in the future (not to be off putting but if you submitted an application today, by the time you'd jumped through all the hoops and were offered a role it would likely be in the region of 8-12 months until you started Sig School).

20. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

It may affect new vacancies being processed until 24 June so I guess that may result in fewer new jobs appearing on the list until then

21. ROCsteadycrew

ROCsteadycrew Member

OK, thanks ag51ruk, hopefully exisiting applications will continue to progress as normal.

22. Chumba

Chumba Member

I hope so, I had an interview on Tuesday and was told I’d hear either way by Friday, haven’t had any notification yet, so hopefully won’t have to wait until the 24th !

23. ROCsteadycrew

ROCsteadycrew Member

Good luck!

24. Chumba

Chumba Member

Thanks !

25. WizJim

WizJim Member

I have applied for the signaller job at Fiddlers Ferry SB, it looks like the power station itself is closing within the next year:

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/new...heshire-power-station-fiddlers-ferry-16425666

Does much else happen at this box other than the trains too and from the power station? I seen a link to a good site that lets you see the traffic at a particular box a few pages back on here but can't find it at the mo, does anyone know what the website was called?

Regardless I'll carry on with the app - even if it was temporary until the power station closed its a 'foot in the door' - Just curious really.

26. ROCsteadycrew

ROCsteadycrew Member

This one? http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/

27. WizJim

WizJim Member

28. Chris R

Chris R New Member

I’ve also applied for Fiddlers Ferry.

Did you complete the online assessments yet?

29. srm94

srm94 Member

What a ride this has been, I've been lurking on this forum since the beginning of March throwing applications into the void. I'd just started growing numb to all the rejections and even considering giving up on the railway and going back to university next year when I got an email inviting me to an interview for Haslemere! I'm trying hard to manage my expectations since an interview and job offer are two very different things but I'm still quite excited. Thank you for all advice and tips thus far.

30. nikibee

nikibee Member

I’ve just finished week 2 of signalling school and passed my first observation yesterday.

There is a lot of information thrown at you daily and next week we’ll have our first written assessment. It is really intense in my opinion and came as quite a shock to me even though I’d read through this thread beforehand.

Our trainer is amazing, I love his teaching style and he is super supportive and will stay for hours after school to help out if you need it. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll help out if I can :)