• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Chumba

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed information to this thread about the recruitment process for signalling. Largely thanks to the brilliant guidance on here re interview prep I received my job offer this morning and will be off to signalling school in early 2020. I'm absolutely ecstatic!

To those of you still trying to get in I really wish you the best of luck and encourage perserverance since I came very close to giving up at several points. 89 people went for the two positions at the location I was offered, so getting to interview stage was a great achievement with a good dose of luck. Being told these figures made me realise that my numerous rejections prior to this interview were nothing personal and not a reflection on my potential to be a signaller.

Well done I went for the same position and was one of the 89, but was unsuccessful at interview. I was told the standard of applicants was very high. So well done again :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mac

Thanks Tom, that's more than I knew before, yes I'm a signaller but unfortunately I'll only get 14 years in but anything's better than nothing

North123

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed information to this thread about the recruitment process for signalling. Largely thanks to the brilliant guidance on here re interview prep I received my job offer this morning and will be off to signalling school in early 2020. I'm absolutely ecstatic!

To those of you still trying to get in I really wish you the best of luck and encourage perserverance since I came very close to giving up at several points. 89 people went for the two positions at the location I was offered, so getting to interview stage was a great achievement with a good dose of luck. Being told these figures made me realise that my numerous rejections prior to this interview were nothing personal and not a reflection on my potential to be a signaller.

Ditto this message, i got my contract through yesterday. Might see you at signalling school next year :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks Tom, that's more than I knew before, yes I'm a signaller but unfortunately I'll only get 14 years in but anything's better than nothing

No worries Mac, the RPS website is a good source of info as well - they’ll provide an estimate before you transfer or not so you’ll know where you stand.

Jaysub

Well done m8...well happy for you,i also went for it and going to keep on applying and someday make it in

MidlandsChap

Does anybody working for NR know if there are any jobs for north Cambridgeshire/South Lincs on the internal website? Just trying to gauge if there is the possibility of anything going external. If anybody has any info please can you drop me a PM.

Cheers

Rockhopper

I was told quite recently that jobs are advertised internally for two weeks then they go external if there is not enough internal interest. But even once they are external you still get current signallers applying for them.

Saracen_83

I was told quite recently that jobs are advertised internally for two weeks then they go external if there is not enough internal interest. But even once they are external you still get current signallers applying for them.

LOMs can also decide to advertise internally, externally or both...

Mordueman

Anyone know which hotel you stay at when you are at York signalling school ?
I've got a start date for the 5th August if I can pass my medical in time.

gareth386

They use different hotels, so I doubt you'll find out until you get your joining instructions.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

York Uni Student Halls of residence
Park Inn, York City Centre
Hotel 68, York City Centre

Are three of the ones we had, Hotel 68 has the best steaks !!!

Saracen_83

There quite a few hotels when we’re were there, park inn, holiday inn, Marriott, Novotel, etc to name a few!! We stayed in same hotel for 12 weeks.

Some hotels are very close and within walking distance, others are quite far away!

Mordueman

What about meals, I presume that breakfast and evening meals are at your hotel, what about lunch, or are you given an allowance and you fend for yourself?
Sorry for the dumb questions, it was a very long time ago that I last went to signalling school, infact we were given free rail travel to signalling school from home, that's how long ago it was.

Saracen_83

Free travel is still supplied to travel up on a Sunday as well as that you are paid for the Sunday travelling time as well.

Meals, breakfast provided at hotel, lunch provided at the training center for upto £5 (hot and cold selection) and dinner provided at the hotel upto £25. (Choose off the menu) anything spent above this your expected to cover

Mordueman

Meals, breakfast provided at hotel, lunch provided at the training center for upto £5 (hot and cold selection) and dinner provided at the hotel upto £25. (Choose off the menu) anything spent above this your expected to cover[/QUOTE]

Thank you for clearing that up for me, cant wait to start now.

f1nch26

For those of you who have been successful at interview, how did you find out? Did you get a letter? Phone call? Was it changed on the NR portal? Just curious! I hate the wait!!
I have plenty of experience of the unsuccessful emails!

North123

For those of you who have been successful at interview, how did you find out? Did you get a letter? Phone call? Was it changed on the NR portal? Just curious! I hate the wait!!

Hi

I had a phone call from the interviewer the day after then a call from recruitment about 3 weeks after that.

Hope this helps

michael74

For additional info St Erth & St Blazey went 24 hours from last January and I believe there are similar plans for Crediton in Devon.

Might be useful information should any vacancies crop up at these locations in the future.

I see there is a vacancy for Crediton advertised. Do we know if the box now 24hr? What are the shift patterns there? TIA

P200E

Gutted! Rang up today to query my application status as it said
"Assessment 2 Scheduled" and
"Application under consideration for Assessment 2"
so I rang to see if i should've been invited to interview, she said still under consideration, 2 hours ago ......unsuccessful!

Rockhopper

Gutted! Rang up today to query my application status as it said
"Assessment 2 Scheduled" and
"Application under consideration for Asseissment 2"
so I rang to see if i should've been invited to interview, she said still under consideration, 2 hours ago ......unsuccessful!

I’m at “invitation for assessment 2 pending”!

Synders

I had Phone call from the manager first approximately three weeks after interview. About two weeks later I received the email.