• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rockhopper

I think a lot depends on if you do signalling school or not. Advert says yes, logic says no for that job.
Having said that the chap I spoke to the other day said it’s the best job on the railway!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hp348

For those who have had interviews , what was your overall experience of it ? Did it feel like a 'normal' interview or did the environment feel more pressured due to the nature of the job?

headshot119

Established Member
Ahh, I see. What would this mean in terms of the role itself? Are the hours not guaranteed? :| There is no mention of this before applying, or when looking at the role on the job site.

You will work a fixed rest day pattern, but you won't know the shift you are working on the days you are working till the Thursday before when the roster comes out. [Edit - The RDR might actually have a fixed set of shifts / GPR definitely won't]

They attract a Flexibility Premium (FP) on top of the basic salary. And you work a standard 35 hour week averaged over the roster cycle same as everyone else.

Shuntz

Hi, hope everyone is well.

Does anybody know if it is just a rumour that network rail have to start paying you 3 months down the line after receiving your job offer or accepting a job with them?

Many thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi, hope everyone is well.

Does anybody know if it is just a rumour that network rail have to start paying you 3 months down the line after receiving your job offer or accepting a job with them?

Many thanks

If your internal they’ll pay you your new grade (if higher than your current salary) at 12 weeks post job offer yes.

External, no - although you’d be unlucky not to be in the job three months after offer.

Rockhopper

With the next spaces at signalling school being in March 2020 quite a few are going to be unlucky!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
With the next spaces at signalling school being in March 2020 quite a few are going to be unlucky!

Is assume they'd want to at least start them on the firm, or risk losing them or people changing their minds.

Let’s just say the next course is March 2020, 12 weeks school - June 2020 before they return to their locations, two months learning your not going to see any new staff until at least July/August 2020.

I’d of thought there’d be a case for regional or ROC based schools, there’s certainly the space and facilities to run such a Scheme locally.

Qball

I've just received my offer pack today just wondering which pension scheme should I pick now as I know after 5 years I can apply to RPS.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks, one more question, is it a set shift pattern or variable?

Residents will have a fixed (for the duration of the roster) rest day and shift pattern - Relief posts will have a planned rest day pattern, but pot luck on actual shifts worlds on booked working days - Relief posts will also cover Exmouth Junction, Paignton, Red Crow Level Crossing but attract I think it’s 12% or 19% on top of basic salary for booked turns.

Trackboy

Hi everyone,

Can someone please tell me which area does Feltham Asc cover. I Know their has been recent chages to signalling from shepperton to fullwell to axle from tcb. Apart from southwestern railway, which freight companies operate in that area.

Thanks.

GingerRH

Hi everyone,

Can someone please tell me which area does Feltham Asc cover. I Know their has been recent chages to signalling from shepperton to fullwell to axle from tcb. Apart from southwestern railway, which freight companies operate in that area.

Thanks.

Richmond as far as Bracknell on the Reading line.
Twickenham round to Kingston and Shepperton. (Shepperton to Fulwell is operated by a brand new IECC scalable work station that)
Hounslow Loop from Chiswick toward Feltham and around toward Anglia Route at Acton Wells.
Staines to Windsor.
Virginia Water to Addlestone
Ascot to Frimley.

There is a SWR Depot at Strawberry Hill and a lot of trains go in/out of there. There is also a sidings at Staines (mini depot).

We operate mainly SWR trains, however do have charters pass which are operated by ‘Steam dreams’ or WCR. Freight is mainly Freightliner Heavy Haul, intermodal tend to run via Basingstoke/Reading. Obviously we do get other engineering trains pass operated by NR or Balfour Beatty.

Trackboy

Richmond as far as Bracknell on the Reading line.
Twickenham round to Kingston and Shepperton. (Shepperton to Fulwell is operated by a brand new IECC scalable work station that)
Hounslow Loop from Chiswick toward Feltham and around toward Anglia Route at Acton Wells.
Staines to Windsor.
Virginia Water to Addlestone
Ascot to Frimley.

There is a SWR Depot at Strawberry Hill and a lot of trains go in/out of there. There is also a sidings at Staines (mini depot).

We operate mainly SWR trains, however do have charters pass which are operated by ‘Steam dreams’ or WCR. Freight is mainly Freightliner Heavy Haul, intermodal tend to run via Basingstoke/Reading. Obviously we do get other engineering trains pass operated by NR or Balfour Beatty.

Hi thank you ever so much for this info. Do you currently work at Feltham asc?

michael74

Residents will have a fixed (for the duration of the roster) rest day and shift pattern - Relief posts will have a planned rest day pattern, but pot luck on actual shifts worlds on booked working days - Relief posts will also cover Exmouth Junction, Paignton, Red Crow Level Crossing but attract I think it’s 12% or 19% on top of basic salary for booked turns.

Thanks, much appreciated.