• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SiggerSigAh

Alright folks, bit of a random one but figured it's a good place to ask as there are loads of fellow signallers here.

I have to have a tooth taken out next week so will be given a local anaesthetic. Appointment is for 10am so should be all done by 11am. Would I be pushing it to then work a shift starting at 6pm? Tried to call the 'chemist-on-call' number for clarification but just can't get through to anyone.

Probably worrying over nothing but sods law I'd chance it and then D&A testers would rock up to the box!

Cheers in advance for any info :)

Rockhopper

It might also depend on what pain meds you need to take. Paracetamol was all I needed but some people could need co-codamol or even some kind of opiate based medicine.
I think I’d be informing my manager at the very least.
I’m not a signaller though (yet!).

bouff34

People on my course in March (at York) were refused parking permits at the campus as there simply aren't enough spaces. Park Inn have an arrangement where Network Rail guests have free parking (although you need to ask the right members of staff)! Unless there is a particular reason why not just take the free train tickets that you'll be given? You should also get paid 6hrs (at normal rate) to travel on the Sunday.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I have to have a tooth taken out next week so will be given a local anaesthetic. Appointment is for 10am so should be all done by 11am. Would I be pushing it to then work a shift starting at 6pm? Tried to call the 'chemist-on-call' number for clarification but just can't get through to anyone.
If it were me I wouldn’t be going in for that shift. Certainly let Chemist on Call know anyway but speak to your LOM too.

ChrisRS

People on my course in March (at York) were refused parking permits at the campus as there simply aren't enough spaces. Park Inn have an arrangement where Network Rail guests have free parking (although you need to ask the right members of staff)! Unless there is a particular reason why not just take the free train tickets that you'll be given? You should also get paid 6hrs (at normal rate) to travel on the Sunday.

I assume the 6 hours paid only applies to those getting the train down?

MOM67

Alright folks, bit of a random one but figured it's a good place to ask as there are loads of fellow signallers here.

Probably worrying over nothing but sods law I'd chance it and then D&A testers would rock up to the box!

Cheers in advance for any info :)

Best speaking to your LOM/roster clerk. If it's an emergency appointment (due to pain etc) then there is not a lot you can do about deferring it but if it's routine, can you book it on a Rest Day?
In the past, you wouldn't be allowed to work after having the injection but (on many areas) you are now accompanied on shift. The person you are accompanied by is not checking that your signalling correctly and as such doesn't need to be competent to work the box, they're just sat there in case you have any adverse effects....for the full shift and, in your case , all night :-0

MOM67

I assume the 6 hours paid only applies to those getting the train down?

No m8. Because you need to be at the school for 9(?) on the Monday, you have to travel on the Sunday to make sure you are there on time. Doesn't matter which mode of transport you use, you're still travelling.

MOM67

As an additional note, there have been a couple of occasions where people decided to claim they travelled on the Sunday to get the extra pay, but actually travelled on the Monday. One person got stuck in a huge traffic jam and didn't arrive until midday ; others got found out through the hotel room not being booked into. They no longer work for the company!

Qball

Does it matter how far you come from or is it just paid to everyone who travels to the training centre.

MOM67

Does it matter how far you come from or is it just paid to everyone who travels to the training centre.

I'm not sure how they do it nowadays tbh. It used to be that people who lived very close to the training centre didn't get paid the Sundays as they could easily travel in on the Monday. They were still expected to stay at the hotel for the rest of the week though ( clearly a disadvantage if they were to go home every night and not be part of the 'discussions' over dinner and a pint.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Monday is usually 0930 book on at school, I would strongly advise everyone to get to the hotel Sunday especially during the later stages as you’ll need a good nights sleep before you usually hit a new subject Monday.

Please don’t throw away the opportunity you’ve worked so hard to obtain by Monday travel (unless authored on exceptional circumstances).

Also to touch point regards alcohol, a “pint” can easily tip you over the railway alcohol limit and see you dismissed.

MOM67

Also to touch point regards alcohol, a “pint” can easily tip you over the railway alcohol limit and see you dismissed.

You're being a bit extreme there Tom. One pint consumed over 12 hours before your next shift starts cannot 'easily' tip you over the limit. Personally, I don't drink much at all and never within 12 hours of a shift but I have heard of people drinking 'to the limit' eg having 6 pints and believing they are OK because each pint is 2 units therefore 2 hours to leave the system so if I'm in work in 12/13 hours, I'm OK....very silly game to play.

Saracen_83

A few beers after school whilst revising is fine.. in fact even encouraged by the WDS..... just be sensible. We revised whilst having a few beers and made the time there a lot more endurable....

At the end of the day, we are all adults, be sensible and you’ll be fine.

headshot119

Established Member
Parking in York is a nightmare, I will be driving to the Signalling school from Newcastle on a Sunday night and driving back on a Friday night, what have people done about parking. The hotel they are providing charges £25 a day and obviously I cant afford that, any advice would be helpful.

Parking should be included in your hotel room. But speak to your LOM to be sure.

You definitely won't be allowed to park at the centre.

In all honesty the train is easier.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
You're being a bit extreme there Tom. One pint consumed over 12 hours before your next shift starts cannot 'easily' tip you over the limit. Personally, I don't drink much at all and never within 12 hours of a shift but I have heard of people drinking 'to the limit' eg having 6 pints and believing they are OK because each pint is 2 units therefore 2 hours to leave the system so if I'm in work in 12/13 hours, I'm OK....very silly game to play.

People have been sacked from school and training centre for excess alcohol though, is it worth the remote risk ?

When your on shift at your box you could easily be a week or more of continuous turns, how are you going to fit in a beer without risking a D&A fail ? Simply not worth the risk, hence why I don’t drink at all.

Wanderer84

Hey guys.

I've been lurking in the background, jumping on the forums occasionally.

I've had a signaller interview in Inverness last week.
Does anyone have any information regarding next steps and timeframes?

Thanks in advance.

Chumba

My first interview I didn’t find out for a month which was due to a problem with the recruiting website, I chased it up and found out the notification hadn’t gone out, the other 3 interviews I had I received notification by email within 3-4 days.

The last interview I had I received the unsuccessful email the next day, the successful candidate had a tel call 4 days after the interview.

I guess it varies :)

Last edited:

Synders

Over the past 18 months I have put in for over 40 signaller posts.

From the 40, I was invited to interview on 4 occasions. Each interview was very different. Some panel others had group exercises and assessments. But finally my persistence has payed off and I’m starting next week.

I had no idea how hard it would be to get my foot in the door, but it all seems worth it now.

Good luck and stick at it.

Chumba

From the 40, I was invited to interview on 4 occasions. Each interview was very different. Some panel others had group exercises and assessments. But finally my persistence has payed off and I’m starting next week.

I had no idea how hard it would be to get my foot in the door, but it all seems worth it now.

Well done, just shows perseverance pays off!

Sture

Hey guys.

I've been lurking in the background, jumping on the forums occasionally.

I've had a signaller interview in Inverness last week.
Does anyone have any information regarding next steps and timeframes?

Thanks in advance.
I also was interviewed for this last week, LOM had said to me that it would all be passed to hr by the end of the week and that we would hear very soon. I'm presuming monday/Tuesday as if the time scales for signalling school that they have sorted is correct notice for current job will need to be put in fairly soon

Whinmoor

That's good to hear. Can definitely say it's slightly disheartening at times getting rejections but that's part of life I suppose.

Good luck with the job.

Jimbob100

Hey all,

Not seen any mention on this thread about the Edinburgh and central Scotland vacancies that closed a few weeks ago. Got an interview for both and was just wondering if anyone had any info that would be of any use about the locations of both and technology used?

Just bumping this message as I think it may have been missed. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Rockhopper

Signaller chap I spoke to said that once you have a confirmed interview then speak to Network Rail and arrange a box visit. It shows you are keen at the very least.

Rockhopper

It seems they have broken the careers portal after the upgrade over the weekend (for me at least)!

MylesHSG

Is assume they'd want to at least start them on the firm, or risk losing them or people changing their minds.

Let’s just say the next course is March 2020, 12 weeks school - June 2020 before they return to their locations, two months learning your not going to see any new staff until at least July/August 2020.

I’d of thought there’d be a case for regional or ROC based schools, there’s certainly the space and facilities to run such a Scheme locally.

There is a chronic shortage of qualified trainers. So even if they physically have the classrooms and simulators they don't have the people to run the course.

MylesHSG

People have been sacked from school and training centre for excess alcohol though, is it worth the remote risk ?

When your on shift at your box you could easily be a week or more of continuous turns, how are you going to fit in a beer without risking a D&A fail ? Simply not worth the risk, hence why I don’t drink at all.

It's a good habit to get into at signalling school in moderating alcohol consumption. However 1 pint before 9pm won't tip you over at all.

Also just a heads up for folks a Grade 3 position at Willesden Carriage Shed North will be coming up soon, it's unlikely to be filled by an internal candidate from another signalling grade so one to keep an eye out for. Great opportunity to work a manual lever frame in London and with London/SE allowances, Sunday's and a little bit of RDW you can make a good living.