• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hp348

Can you read anything into the order of your interview i.e if you're one of the first or one of the last ? Does it go by test result lower to higher or vice versa?

Journeyman

Established Member
Can you read anything into the order of your interview i.e if you're one of the first or one of the last ? Does it go by test result lower to higher or vice versa?

No, you can't read anything into that at all, and I think it would be unwise to try.

Wanderer84

I was the 1st person to interview at Inverness. 0830 on monday morning.
They might have decided to go in alphabetical order. As I have a B surname, I was first...

Mordueman

I've just noticed a vacancy at Wigton SB in Cumbria, it's a grade 2 but the salary is £28592, why is that ?

Chumba

I've just noticed a vacancy at Wigton SB in Cumbria, it's a grade 2 but the salary is £28592, why is that ?

I grew up near that box, and would love to work there, but live the other end of the country now ! :(

Habitat

2019 rates of pay took effect from this month.

I'm scheduled to start at end of Nov and then signaller school on 2 Dec.
I've had my contract and offer letter both stating the old grade 2 rate 27,705 after training.
I don't normally assume anything, but on this occasion I will, and assume I'll be on the new rate, although I will check nearer the time.
Can somebody please post the new pay rates.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
You’ll definitely be on the 2019 rate of pay, then in Jan 2020 (01/01/20) the 2020 rate of pay will take effect (Nov RPI I think).

Add 3.4% to the 2018 rates will give you 2019 rates, I’m sure there’s a matrix kicking about some kind soul usually circulates one.

Neo9320

so here’s a story about my success.....applied in February, interview in June, had my call today......start signalling school in October. If anyone has any doubts don’t worry! Anyone else in York In October?

f1nch26

so here’s a story about my success.....applied in February, interview in June, had my call today......start signalling school in October. If anyone has any doubts don’t worry! Anyone else in York In October?

Congratulations! Where did u apply for? I've been waiting similar times....

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Welcome to the club mate !

Habitat

Congratulations!
It's a great feeling!
I was interviewed in May, and start school in Dec.
You've leapfrogged me!

ewaste

I should hopefully being down in York as well for Signalling School toward the end of October.

Mordueman

I applied for my first vacancy in May, interviewed in June, offered the job the next day, start signalling school in York on the 5th August.
I have been offered 4 signaller interviews since then as well.
I'm 56 this year, if I can get there so can you, keep trying.
Any one else going to York starting on the 5th August?
Also, do you get a train ticket for your pre employment medical, my medical is in Edinburgh on Monday.

Last edited:

Habitat

I applied for my first vacancy in May, interviewed in June, offered the job the next day, start signalling school in York on the 5th August.
I have been offered 4 signaller interviews since then as well.
I'm 56 this year, if I can get there so can you, keep trying.
Any one else going to York starting on the 5th August?
Also, do you get a train ticket for your pre employment medical, my medical is in Edinburgh on Monday.

That is a quick process!
I've been leapfrogged again!
Big congratulations and the best of luck.
I attended the medical at my own cost, a day off work and a 140m round trip.

Rockhopper

So if someone was to have an interview for a grade two position but also had applications in for a grade eight position would the hiring manager for the grade two position be aware of your other applications?
Also if you got the grade two position then a few weeks later got an interview for the grade eight job would you go and if successful how would that work with the grade two job that you might have only held for a few weeks?
Well done to everyone above who's managed to get in :)

Highlandspring

Established Member
So if someone was to have an interview for a grade two position but also had applications in for a grade eight position would the hiring manager for the grade two position be aware of your other applications?
Assuming you’re an external candidate then no unless you or the grade 8 hiring LOM told them.
Also if you got the grade two position then a few weeks later got an interview for the grade eight job would you go and if successful how would that work with the grade two job that you might have only held for a few weeks?
It would seriously piss off the grade 2 LOM who would have knocked back other candidates in favour of you and now has to start the recruitment ball rolling all over again. You’d do better to be honest about other ongoing applications in the grade 2 interview.

Mordueman

That is a quick process!
I've been leapfrogged again!
Big congratulations and the best of luck.
I attended the medical at my own cost, a day off work and a 140m round trip.

I've been very lucky and I've got a great LOM who has been very helpful and proactive, she has pushed really hard to get me a place in signalling school as soon as possible .
How times have changed, you used to get a return ticket for your medical, I even got a ticket for my interview back in the 80's and 90's.
Talking of which, does anyone know if my free travel was protected, I last worked as a signal man in 1995 and had free travel when I left, a mate who's still a signaller reckons I might still have my free travel, any ideas ?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Talking of which, does anyone know if my free travel was protected, I last worked as a signal man in 1995 and had free travel when I left, a mate who's still a signaller reckons I might still have my free travel, any ideas ?
No any break of service will cause it to be lost. It’s gone.

Highlandspring

Established Member
By the way be prepared to find that the job today is completely different than it was in 1995. Some bits are better, some bits are worse but bear in mind when you’re at the school that it’s just different now and there’s no point worrying too much about it.

Mordueman

By the way be prepared to find that the job today is completely different than it was in 1995. Some bits are better, some bits are worse but bear in mind when you’re at the school that it’s just different now and there’s no point worrying too much about it.

I've got an open mind and really looking forward to it, in some ways I wish I never left but I'm back now and not going anywhere else.

Leo_724677

Congratulations to all! Great to see so many success stories on here recently and many starting signaller school in the not so distant future. Really encouraging.

Chumba

Well done to everyone above who's managed to get in :)

If the jobs you apply for are different areas then no each LOM wouldn't know unless you tell them. I was in the same position but didn't get either vacancy

Chumba

Assuming you’re an external candidate then no unless you or the grade 8 hiring LOM told them.

It would seriously piss off the grade 2 LOM who would have knocked back other candidates in favour of you and now has to start the recruitment ball rolling all over again. You’d do better to be honest about other ongoing applications in the grade 2 interview.

When selected there is always a second candidate who can be given the job if the first candidate fails any part (i'm the second candidate at the moment for a signalling job and hoping the preferred candidate fails the medical :) ) And your previous interview scores can be used at a new interview for up to 3 months. So the LOM could select the second person to save the process again.