• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
RDW is the biggest source of bitterness there is in a Signal Box, don’t get me started on the “tick list” !

Best advice I would give is, only look at your line in the roster - if you get RDW good, if you don’t then enjoy your well earned day off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Did I read that right? a Grade 3 pulling in upwards of £60k??

Its good money as it is but to have the potential to earn so much more than your baseline salary is always such a bonus, obviously I know in such circumstances work life balance is massively affected, but at least if one desires that extension on their house, new car, or to pay off a holiday or whatever, they can put the hours in and get their rewards.

I also know the amount of extra work you can get varies from box to box too.

It’s possible to double and some your basic salary yes.

Although there is a push to reduce RDW, by increasing headcount at my place.

There are several here doing £100,000+ most grade 6 & 7 here are doing £70,000+ without much effort.

Rover77

Just completed the online numerical test. Only completed 11 out of 18 and at least 3 of those were guesses. Hope I dont have too long a wait for my results but really not confident at all now.

Gallius

Just completed the online numerical test. Only completed 11 out of 18 and at least 3 of those were guesses. Hope I dont have too long a wait for my results but really not confident at all now.
I've no idea what the pass mark is but I imagine you will hear back by the end of the day tomorrow so not too long to wait.

Rover77

Looks like my wait will be a while yet. I called HR for them to confirm receipt of my 3 tests. They said can only find the numerical one. Told to call the test people. They gave me a reference number, called HR back with number. Told that this time test result are being looked at manually so will take some time.
I'm just a bit concerned as I had a few I.T. issues. Hope they confirm receipt as my 5 days run out tomorrow.

RedMum77

Looks like my wait will be a while yet. I called HR for them to confirm receipt of my 3 tests. They said can only find the numerical one. Told to call the test people. They gave me a reference number, called HR back with number. Told that this time test result are being looked at manually so will take some time.
I'm just a bit concerned as I had a few I.T. issues. Hope they confirm receipt as my 5 days run out tomorrow.

My 5 days ran out last Sunday and I went to access the tests over the weekend only to find they were bad links. I phoned HR Monday morning and they sent me new links via email and told me not to worry about the 5 days as it was an issue at their end. I had the email the day after to say Id got the benchmark and online its changed to test completed so I wouldn't worry too much if you have contacted them

Rover77

My 5 days ran out last Sunday and I went to access the tests over the weekend only to find they were bad links. I phoned HR Monday morning and they sent me new links via email and told me not to worry about the 5 days as it was an issue at their end. I had the email the day after to say Id got the benchmark and online its changed to test completed so I wouldn't worry too much if you have contacted them
Thanks so much for this. Makes me feel a lot better.

Macca89

Could anyone help me please as I’m a little confused.

I took the online tests several days ago having applied for 5 signalling positions

I received an email for 2 positions (grade 3, grade 7) saying I’d reached the required bench mark, great stuff!

but I’ve since received 2 emails for 2 other positions (both grade 2) which are my most favoured positions as they are closer to home, but was told I had not reached the required benchmark....how can that be? If the tests I took were good enough for 2 signalling positions, how can they not be good enough for another 2 positions?

anyhelp would be much appreciated

Hi, just have a quick question about the pecking order for OT.

I know that first dibs go to a flexi who is rostered on, but after that should it go to a resident?

Reason I ask is in my location there were 3 nights going next week and I was originally offered them and accepted but then told I was no longer needed. They've been given to a flexi working his free days but I thought that, as a resident with the shifts which ran onto the OT (OT is for Mon-Wed night and I'm rostered on Thu-Sat night) I should take priority?

Not trying to be greedy and this is just for my own knowledge, but can anyone definitively say what the pecking order is please? Also are there regional arrangements or is it just a blanket policy for the country?

Cheers :)
If it’s your panel the shifts are yours . No question about it . Get on to the roster clerk and get him told. If it’s a different panel/ws and the gpr is covering that and his rest days are the same as that turn then they are his/hers .

ChrisRS

but I’ve since received 2 emails for 2 other positions (both grade 2) which are my most favoured positions as they are closer to home, but was told I had not reached the required benchmark....how can that be? If the tests I took were good enough for 2 signalling positions, how can they not be good enough for another 2 positions?

Different applicants for different vacancies. It's possible those applying for the grade 2 vacancy scored higher than you, and had more applicants than the grade 3/7.

Macca89

Different applicants for different vacancies. It's possible those applying for the grade 2 vacancy scored higher than you, and had more applicants than the grade 3/7.

Yeh this was kind of my thinking too

thanks for your reply mate

Amanda

Well I had five applications pending for Network Rail going back to August and have just had my first rejection, which was for a temporary post at Shirebrook. Doesn't feel great, but I'm trying to bear in mind that based on quite a few posts in this thread each application for different vacancies seems to be completely different, so who knows.

I did like that they give you a reason though, in this instance it said "more suitable candidate identified".

Rockhopper

They extended the closing date for the Shirebrook job then closed it before the new date! Realistically though for a temporary position they are far more likely to take someone on who’s already qualified.

Amanda

They extended the closing date for the Shirebrook job then closed it before the new date! Realistically though for a temporary position they are far more likely to take someone on who’s already qualified.

I didn't realise it had been extended, but I did think the closing date wasn't for another day or two. I did think though when I applied that for something that was so explicitly temporary and apparently time-critical - they want to interview people the first week of December - that taking on a total noob was unlikely to be the way they'd do things. Just need to see how my other applications go now, I guess!

Defenestrate

I didn't realise it had been extended, but I did think the closing date wasn't for another day or two. I did think though when I applied that for something that was so explicitly temporary and apparently time-critical - they want to interview people the first week of December - that taking on a total noob was unlikely to be the way they'd do things. Just need to see how my other applications go now, I guess!

I found the first knock back to be a big hit to morale, but the best general advice is to keep applying, no matter how many rejections you have or jobs you have in the system already... Some people manage stellar results from the first application, but i think the reality is that the "normal" is gradual improvement and eventually a job offer.

The fact that it doesn't feel great shows it is something you really want, which should be motivation to continue, and improve etc.

My final application was a vast improvement on my first. Good luck!

Amanda

I found the first knock back to be a big hit to morale, but the best general advice is to keep applying, no matter how many rejections you have or jobs you have in the system already... Some people manage stellar results from the first application, but i think the reality is that the "normal" is gradual improvement and eventually a job offer.

The fact that it doesn't feel great shows it is something you really want, which should be motivation to continue, and improve etc.

My final application was a vast improvement on my first. Good luck!

Thank you for the excellent advice, Defenestrate!

300_danny

hi everyone,
I have applied for about 8 roles in the last 5 months i was lucky enough to have an interview on the first one I applied for but no luck on all the rest unfortunately.
Even tho I feel like giving up, I won’t be, I’ve always wanted to work for NR and I met someone and they told me about this job being the best in the company, (he’s a signaller himself) and I’m not someone who gives up.
I did call up recruitment team and asked if I could have some feedback on why I kept becoming unsuccessful (So I could work on it) they asked the hiring manager for some feedback for me but I didn’t get any.
I know they look at the 70 questions and your CV but is there a possibility I tried to hard on my CV trying to match the job? I know that sounds silly, I was honest on it and what I said on it was true but I feel like they may look at it and think I went to deep into it if that makes sense?
If anyone could give me some pointers on what I could to improve I would be very great full

also I was just wondering if they’re are any internal vacancy’s going up external soon in and around the Surrey area.
TIA
Danny

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Is it a fair and safe assumption that signalman working in a ROC would be more highly skilled and be more highly regarded by management etc than a bobby working in a local box? It seems (from an outsiders perspective) that a Bobby in a local box may be doing a lot more sitting around would have to know a fair bit less than a signalman in a ROC, hence the lower pay. No offense intended - was just wondering for a future application.

Rockhopper

In simple terms the pay grades are related to the amount of track and equipment you cover. So grade 1 might be a crossing keeper who only controls two signals and open and close the gates. Grade nine and ten might cover multiple panels and huge areas of track. When you come out of signalling school you'll be ready and qualified to operate anywhere from grade 1 up to 10 but how long it'll take you to sign off each panel might be significant. Up to a year or more in some cases and you'll stay on your training pay (one grade below the actual grade) until you have signed everything off.

You can come in off the street with no railway experience and get a grade ten position.

Well thats my understanding anyhow!

Rockhopper

It was the 11th of November then the 21st of November! The same LOM gave a date for interviews for another signaller job on the Robin Hood Line, the actual interviews were three months later, by which time I'd found another job!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Is it a fair and safe assumption that signalman working in a ROC would be more highly skilled and be more highly regarded by management etc than a bobby working in a local box? It seems (from an outsiders perspective) that a Bobby in a local box may be doing a lot more sitting around would have to know a fair bit less than a signalman in a ROC, hence the lower pay. No offense intended - was just wondering for a future application.

Once your in the inside your next step application is competence, and experience based so by default signallers working in Panel/PSB/IECC/ROC jobs are going to (generally) be more experienced, than a grade 2 job which sees 2 trains per hour.

There’s a lot to be said for the grade two Signal box on our own...signed ROC Signaller !

MOM67

There’s a lot to be said for the grade two Signal box on our own...signed ROC Signaller !

Completely agree with this. I started as a Crossing Keeper in a PSB and really wanted to become a Signaller in there because of the banter etc. Then I became a Signaller before becoming a MOM. I have visited the ROC for meetings etc a couple of times and I swear, you will never,ever get me working in one of those places. Give me a "little" box, in the middle of nowhere, with a wood burning stove and a kettle and please, leave me alone....:D!!

Gallius

Can someone please explain the difference between a relief signaller and a signaller? Does a relief signaller get a guaranteed number of hours and the same benefits etc?

Saracen_83

Can someone please explain the difference between a relief signaller and a signaller? Does a relief signaller get a guaranteed number of hours and the same benefits etc?

a relief signaller will work set days but will not know what shifts until the roster goes binding the Thursday of the week before.

they will be covering things like, sickness, holiday etc. They can cover multiple boxes/panels, so need to be flexible.

a resident signaller will normally know what days and shift he/she is on months in advance, as well as the box panel they are working.

Gallius

a relief signaller will work set days but will not know what shifts until the roster goes binding the Thursday of the week before.

they will be covering things like, sickness, holiday etc. They can cover multiple boxes/panels, so need to be flexible.

a resident signaller will normally know what days and shift he/she is on months in advance, as well as the box panel they are working.
Ok, thanks for the info. Will a relief signaller get the same number of hours as a resident then, the only difference is they won't get much notice on which shifts? Also if they find out on the Thursday of the week before, what day does the week start?

Saracen_83

Ok, thanks for the info. Will a relief signaller get the same number of hours as a resident then, the only difference is they won't get much notice on which shifts? Also if they find out on the Thursday of the week before, what day does the week start?

week starts on a Sunday, and runs until the sat. Roster goes binding the Thursday preceding this at 12pm midday.

signallers seems rostered 36 hours each week regardless of being a resident or relief signaller.

Gallius

week starts on a Sunday, and runs until the sat. Roster goes binding the Thursday preceding this at 12pm midday.

signallers seems rostered 36 hours each week regardless of being a resident or relief signaller.
That's great, thanks for clarifying for me

Defenestrate

hi everyone,
I have applied for about 8 roles in the last 5 months i was lucky enough to have an interview on the first one I applied for but no luck on all the rest unfortunately.
Even tho I feel like giving up, I won’t be, I’ve always wanted to work for NR and I met someone and they told me about this job being the best in the company, (he’s a signaller himself) and I’m not someone who gives up.

See my post a couple above yours.

I know they look at the 70 questions and your CV but is there a possibility I tried to hard on my CV trying to match the job? I know that sounds silly, I was honest on it and what I said on it was true but I feel like they may look at it and think I went to deep into it if that makes sense?
If anyone could give me some pointers on what I could to improve I would be very great full

Matching your CV to the job description and person specification has got to be a good thing - looking at it a lot and making a significant effort can only be a bonus in my opinion.
From my experience, the 70 questions bear a striking resemblance to some of the interview questions, so if yours are solid with good examples then that's ideal...However, as i have said in previous posts, i found that i was able to keep improving my 70Qs for each new application, based on things like previous interviews. I'm unsure if it would help at all, but on the application there is the option to upload your CV, and also a covering letter....now the covering letter is not a requirement, but I adapted an existing one and made it relevant - maybe i was trying too hard? But suppose it's an option.

Don't forget that the initial online test results are also taken into account when candidates for interview are being selected, so depending on how you thought they went, they may help or hinder you. However, as you have had an interview already, it's a positive sign.