A career as a signaller

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by gradient, 16 May 2016.

1. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

Greenloaning has been "Switched out" and manned only as required for many years, due to the increased frequency of trains it's been decided to open it on a 24 hour basis to split up the block section and provide resilience to the timetable.

2. Moon

Moon New Member

Ah many thanks, that makes sense.

3. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

8h 47m Monday - Saturday (05:15 - 14:02 - 22:49). Sundays are two in three (08:20 - 15:05 - 23:15). Some occasional night turns, but no regular night shift. There's been no suggestion of closure at the current time.

4. johnny0712

johnny0712 Member

I've applied for Dunblane :D my application shows, invited to test.

Quick question, does anyone know if the tests are timed?

5. Jaymol74

Jaymol74 Member

The first test isn't timed but the verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning are. I took the advice of others on here and tried to answer as many as possible but not dwell too long on them. Had a nightmare with the site though. Kept pinging me out then said it was down for maintenance. Eventually got through the tests but had to email NR to ask if tests were completed. Can't login to their site either. Good luck with the test.

6. Allaboard78

Allaboard78 Member

Still not had an email from HR, I'm assuming I have made the paper sift but am now just waiting for arrangements to be made? How long does this usually take? I'm guessing a stupid question!

7. johnny0712

johnny0712 Member

Thanks so much for replying! I haven’t had an email about the tests yet, just seen online I was “invited to test” so thought I’d better be prepared. Oh really? That’s a nightmare, I hope they come back as completed. Best of luck! Hope you get through to the next round.

8. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

Make sure you are all checking your junk email folders.

9. Tom Quinne

Tom Quinne Established Member

This is going to sound rude, but it’s fact..

As a signaller you’ll often be given half the information you need, so you’ll have to literally hunt for it in WONS/SONS random bits of A4 cast about the box.

Literally 99.9% of information a applicant or trainee needs to know is in this thread.

I’m all for helping you guys, but I often get messages from people who really haven’t got a clue about the job, or even a basic understanding.

Come on people it’s a fantastic job, put a little
    effort in.

10. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Member

Agreed, and I’m not even a signaller

11. MylesHSG

MylesHSG Member

Wembley is 12 hour weekends and 8 hour weekdays. A compromise between the old guard and the new guard.

12. Moon

Moon New Member

So about the Dunblane vacancies - can anything be guessed about the roster from the number of people they are looking to recruit (4)? I'm guessing not since the missing piece of that puzzle is how many people they already have lined up for the role.

13. _Odo_

_Odo_ New Member

Hello everyone. First time poster, long time lurker here. There's so much valuable information on here so thanks to everyone for contributing.

Quick question - when applying for signalling jobs, do most people also include a covering letter? I've applied for several signalling positions without any luck, always getting past the required benchmark for the online tests but no further. I've always included a CV, as that is what was asked for, but I've never added a separate cover letter and now I'm wondering if I should do that for the next one I apply for. Thanks!

14. Mart1n888

Mart1n888 Member

Passed the online assessment for Dunblane. fingers crossed it gets to the next part now!

Anyone else had any joy yet?

cheers

15. Bell 1-2-1

Bell 1-2-1 Member

I’m not sure on the covering letter, but I passed the required benchmark and didn’t get any further a couple of times a few yrs back so I did a bit more on the answers to the 70 questions , I then got to the hiring manager but didn’t get selected. Then next time I really went to town on the 70 questions, not rambling but gave a lot of thought to how things were worded especially on the questions of anything to do with safe working practices, did them on a word doc due to the time and then pasted them in. Give well worded short sharp examples, it paid off in the end. Also , I know it’s been pointed out before but don’t make anything up for the questions about the railway related ones if you have no experience, just put N/A , not only will the LOM spot it a mile off I’ve had it on good authority that the application won’t get considered. some still do and I was told that Basically it’s lying to get a job where honesty is one of there key requirements. They know you’ve no experience, it’s just it’s the same form for internal as external jobs. Good luck everyone applying. It’s a great job, you still get tough days and can be called on in a second to make critical safety decisions , and not for some who don’t like being on their own for 12 hrs , but if it’s for you it’s worth the extra time an effort on the application.

16. Mordueman

Mordueman Member

Anyone know where the signalling school in Manchester is based ?

17. techybit

techybit Member

Well oddly enough it might mean a lot of conversion to 8s because of the rest between shifts in the new fatigue management...

18. Bell 1-2-1

Bell 1-2-1 Member

chatting today to a couple of lads who’ve done both patterns and they would dread to go back to 8s. Way more fatigued being on day after day instead of more days off to recover properly.

19. Littlestu

Littlestu Member

Im still umming and arrghing about applying for a relief. Is a relief something someone fresh from the street could apply for. I know i wouldnt know what shift id be on from month to month but im ok with that

20. TRain87

TRain87 Member

To recover properly? Hahaha. Dunno what box you work in, but you're doing signalling wrong!

21. TRain87

TRain87 Member

I done it, and loved the relief. Endless rest day working if you want it, if not, you still get a great base rate of pay!

22. Sunset route

Sunset route Member

I would say, that’s it no more difficult than applying for and working in a multi panel or workstation locations such as PSB, ASC, SCC, IECC or ROCs and there are plenty from outside the industry that go straight into grades 6,7,8 & 9s at such locations.

23. _Odo_

_Odo_ New Member

Thank you for the advice - I will look over my answers to the questions again and see if I can improve them.

24. Defenestrate

Defenestrate Member

Bell 1-2-1 gives a good answer IMO, but it won't HURT to add a covering letter - as long as it is relevant and adding value to your application as a whole. I did one, and continuously improved my 70 questions for each new job i applied for.

The 70 questions seem to be quite closely linked to some of the interview questions, so it's well worth putting the effort in!

25. _Odo_

_Odo_ New Member

Thanks Defenestrate, that's useful to know. I've got two to apply for this week so I'll write a covering letter this time and see if that helps. That will bring me up to seven applications - I might be going for a record here!

26. Sanatogen

Sanatogen Member

that’s interesting, all we’ve been told about is the 60 hour max, are they extending the 12 hour test period then?

27. Sabs5296

Sabs5296 Member

Cheers mate! That would really be great though

28. Sabs5296

Sabs5296 Member

Many thanks.

29. Logie7

Logie7 New Member

Did anyone get back to you? Got a place there starting on 27th.

30. WoollyMammoth

WoollyMammoth Member

Unfortunately just had the bad news today for a job in Maidstone! God these are competitive - I didn’t even see anyone on here going for that one!
    Back to the drawing board!