• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

I think most people will disagree with you there. I didn't do 26 years in the police for the money. I did it because it was a career that I thought worthwhile, that helped the community and one that gave me enormous job satisfaction. Do you think that the majority of those that are currently trying to save countless lives in the NHS are all there because of the money??? Or those that serve their country and pay the ultimate price in the armed services - don't think they do it for money!! I couldn't think of anything worse than being in a well paid job where I didn't enjoy what I was doing. Money is a factor but for the vast majority I would suggest that job satisfaction comes way above this.

Definitely this. When I joined the Navy I had no idea what I would be earning, I just wanted to do be part of it. I had no commitments then so the money didn't really matter but obviously that changes as you get older. However doing any job just because of the money is unwise and will probably result in you being stuck in a job that you hate.

I've just been lucky enough to get a signallers job but while money was a consideration, the job I'm currently in pays well enough and has a better pension but I just wanted a change and a new challenge - and I have a real interest in the job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LincsBobby

I agree with the consensus Railwanabe. In my short time working for Network Rail i've noticed that news doesn't travel as fast as it does on the railway. Everybody knows everybody and chinese whispers is rife. If you ask about money straight away then it's likely something you'd do in an interview too. Which is certainly frowned upon these days1. Maybe you haven't applied for jobs for a long time but signallers are a rare breed and they seem proud of their profession as well as being close knit considering the nature of it (alot of lone working in traditional signalling areas). The fact u seem to have got the back up of a few people in the forum is not a good thing. As someone else said there is alot of MOM's and LOM's in this forum and as soon as i saw ur post asking about money, it certainly rang the alarms bells for me. I'd politely suggest using a different approach next time.

Daveyboy2407

Hi, would you guys know if you have to answer the 70 signaller questions when applying for a crossing keeper job? I have done the SJT and passed but I haven't had any other tests through. Thanks

Rockhopper

No, not for a grade 1 position. I think there were just two or three questions when I did it.

nom de guerre

The fact u seem to have got the back up of a few people in the forum is not a good thing.

This.

People’s motivations don’t especially bother me, providing they can do the job competently and safely.

But you won’t last long in a Grade 9 (or any multi-manned) box if you’re unable to get on with people.

Javagem

How do 12 hr rosters work? Is it a case of 3 days on, 3 off, 3 nights on 3 off etc? Im guessing this is a bit simplistic and reality is probably different. What would a typical 12 hour roster and shift pattern look like and how much notice of your roster do you get? Is it a 3 month in advance roster for example? Thanks.

headshot119

Established Member
How do 12 hr rosters work? Is it a case of 3 days on, 3 off, 3 nights on 3 off etc? Im guessing this is a bit simplistic and reality is probably different. What would a typical 12 hour roster and shift pattern look like and how much notice of your roster do you get? Is it a 3 month in advance roster for example? Thanks.

Typical 12 hour

S M T W T F S
N - - - D D D
D D D D - - -
- N N N - - -
- - - - N N N

If you are a resident, you can plan your exact roster forever (Assuming it's not changed by local agreement), for a relief you can plan the days you are working years ahead, you just won't know the exact shifts till the Thursday before.

Validation

Typical 12 hour

S M T W T F S
N - - - D D D
D D D D - - -
- N N N - - -
- - - - N N N

If you are a resident, you can plan your exact roster forever (Assuming it's not changed by local agreement), for a relief you can plan the days you are working years ahead, you just won't know the exact shifts till the Thursday before.

Can't be right with 7 shifts in a row?

Last edited:

headshot119

Established Member
Can't be right with 7 shifts in a row?
Would imagine it would be more like this?;

S M T W T F S
N - - - D D D
D - - - D D D
- N N N - - -
- - - - N N N

Err no, or you'd never have someone on the day shift for the first part of a week.

The typical 12 hour might not cut the mustard now, but it's worked in a few places. As always with rosters there's numerous permutations, it was just one example.

Validation

Err no, or you'd never have someone on the day shift for the first part of a week.

The typical 12 hour might not cut the mustard now, but it's worked in a few places. As always with rosters there's numerous permutations, it was just one example.

Ah, yes, it's late! Well still, can't do 7x12 hour shifts in a row (without LOMs permission!)

S M T W T F S
D D D D - - -
- - - - N N N
N - - - D D D
- N N N - - -

Think that's more like it, obviously there's spare shifts, developments days and odd quirks here and there to balance the hours.

Kraken

A happy Easter to those on this forum, the applicants, the signallers and the passers-by. Hopefully all manage to have a safe and peaceful day.

ljmac

They tend to be similar. My box currently closes on a saturday night, so the roster is this...

S M T W T F S
X X X N N N X
X X X X D D L
N N N X X X D
E D D D X X X

LOM

My boxes work this:

S M T W T F S
R R R N N N N
R R R D D D R
N N N R R R D
D D D R R R R

over 12 weeks with an additional rest day and a briefing day built into the dayshift week.

Last edited:

Javagem

My boxes work this:

S M T W T F S
R R R N N N N
R R R D D D R
N N N R R R D
D D D R R R R

over 12 weeks with an additional rest day and a briefing day built into the dayshift week.
So on all of the examples it looks like c14 rest days over the 4 week period. 12 hour rosters seem the way to go.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
All of you budding signallers, you should check out Simsig! Will keep you entertained for hours

And I would suggest that is very bad advice!!
It might be entertaining but it is no way to think you are going to learn anything about being a signaller.
Go into the training being ignorant and let NR teach you how they want it done.

My only suggestion before you go on the course would be to read "Red for Danger" and if doing the AB Course try to start learning the bell codes.

Rockhopper

I read Red For Danger when I was about ten years old - that’ll be 45 years ago now! I can still remember most of it as well.

Woody27

It might be entertaining but it is no way to think you are going to learn anything about being a signaller.

My only suggestion before you go on the course would be to read "Red for Danger" and if doing the AB Course try to start learning the bell codes.
This was suggested to me by someone else, you make a very good point, I shall bin it off!

7Paul7

Are the all codes expected to be known from memory?

High Dyke

Established Member
Are the all codes expected to be known from memory?
Not entirely, or wasn't expected. However, you should have a good understanding of the 'important' bell codes (i.e. Emergency alarm/Obstruction Danger, Train passed without tail-lamp, Train Running Away, etc. and when they need to be used. After that you should be able to have the rest of the codes in an accessible place. When I first started, a signalman friend gave me his crib cards with the bell codes written on. These days I use many of the regular bell codes without actually thinking, but I also have a written copy in my bag - alongside the rule book modules.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Not entirely, or wasn't expected. However, you should have a good understanding of the 'important' bell codes (i.e. Emergency alarm/Obstruction Danger, Train passed without tail-lamp, Train Running Away, etc. and when they need to be used. After that you should be able to have the rest of the codes in an accessible place. When I first started, a signalman friend gave me his crib cards with the bell codes written on. These days I use many of the regular bell codes without actually thinking, but I also have a written copy in my bag - alongside the rule book modules.
Exactly what I did as well, and passed copies on to any new starters.

LincsBobby

They will look daunting at first but by the end of signalling school (certainly the most important), bell codes will become second nature to you and you will rarely have to even think twice what they are.

Questiontime

Does anyone have a digital copy of the 8 non-technical skills they could forward me please? I have a phone image of them but the quality is not the best.
I have tried the links earlier on in this thread and the links don't seem to be working any more.

Thanks