• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Flush_Fraser

Hello all,

I applied for a signaller role around 4-5 months ago now and, having completed the online assessment etc and then hearing next to nothing for a very long time, received an email yesterday telling me I had been invited to interview in a couple of weeks time. To say I'm excited would be putting it mildly.

I have no experience of signalling, nor even working with trains or any form of transport and am actually coming from an office job where I deal with beauty products. Bit of a sideways step but I obviously nailed the questions on the self-assessment to get this far!

I'm now in the process of trying to learn any and everything about the role (I did some research before applying but for obvious reasons have stepped it up a bit now), but if any of you had any interview tips for me I'd hugely appreciate it! Do they tend to focus on anything in particular or is it more of a general Q&A? Is there anything you recall from your interviews that you'd pass down as advice or should i really just concentrate on learning what I can about being a signaller and hope that my enthusiasm sees me through?

Massive thanks in advance for any potential replies!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

Research the 8 NTS, and work out a time in your career that you've needed to use them! Well done

Sinistah

Hi Guys, Does anyone know much about the Farncombe signal box. As its a grade 3 I am guessing it is a lever box

Sinistah

Yeah it's one if my boxes lol. Not a lever frame though, you signal with switches :)

Do you mind if u can message you privately to find out a but more about farncombe as ive applied for the role and want to learn more

Redder

My interest has been peeked by the current advertised vacancies at South Wales Control Centre in Cardiff, does anyone know what shift pattern they work? Also it’s advertised as a 12 month fixed term contract, is this the norm now, not sure how much of a risk that would be. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Regards SWCC Cardiff, these jobs well job is not based at SWCC although between starting and going to signalling school they'll train you on the level Crossing desk.

The job is to provide trained personnel to fill roles in the South East Wales area, usually grades 2-4.
You'll 95% likely to be given a permanent contract well within the fixed term, I know one bloke who was in the FTC got a permeant grade 3 pretty much after returning from school, he's now got a grade 4 all within 10 months of starting.

Redder

Regards SWCC Cardiff, these jobs well job is not based at SWCC although between starting and going to signalling school they'll train you on the level Crossing desk.

The job is to provide trained personnel to fill roles in the South East Wales area, usually grades 2-4.
You'll 95% likely to be given a permanent contract well within the fixed term, I know one bloke who was in the FTC got a permeant grade 3 pretty much after returning from school, he's now got a grade 4 all within 10 months of starting.

Thank you, that's interesting and very helpful. So the job won't be based at SWCC? What areas of SE Wales would it cover as if I was successful it would mean a relocation and I would be staying in the Penarth area. Any idea of the shift pattern these roles would be working? Thanks again.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Locations could include:
Hereford
Abergavenny
Little Mill
Radyr
Aberconyon
Park Junction
Tondu
Neath & Brecon Junc

I assume, I'm not 100% sure they'd be on 8hr turns with 12hrs on weekends.
Rosters are very very local across the company.

The job is grade two as that's the lowest Signaller pay grade, grade one being crossing keeper.
Like I say, the chances are you'll be on a higher grade (2/3/4) within the year, you'll also be trained in absolute block regulation, with track circuit block as a add on.

Redder

Locations could include:
Hereford
Abergavenny
Little Mill
Radyr
Aberconyon
Park Junction
Tondu
Neath & Brecon Junc

The job is grade two as that's the lowest Signaller pay grade, grade one being crossing keeper.
Like I say, the chances are you'll be on a higher grade (2/3/4) within the year, you'll also be trained in absolute block regulation, with track circuit block as a add on.

That's great thank you, some of those are a bit of a lengthy distance from Penarth I think which may be as issue.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Your home address is/can be taken into account when you are "asked" to apply for certain SB.
Baring in mind the chances of getting a off the street/out of the signalling grade job at SWCC is pretty much zero.

If I was you, I would go for this and work with whatever distance issues araise if they do, it's an awesome job !

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Also one important point to remember and consider is that you'll be on the grade one salary for the full year, regardless of whether you pass out as a grade two in six months.
Likewise, I believe you'll still retain grade one if you eventually get a grade three or even four job in the first year after finishing school.

Redder

Your home address is/can be taken into account when you are "asked" to apply for certain SB.
Baring in mind the chances of getting a off the street/out of the signalling grade job at SWCC is pretty much zero.

If I was you, I would go for this and work with whatever distance issues araise if they do, it's an awesome job !

Great advice thank you I will do that, in for a penny and all that. Just one final question, I know South Wales reasonably well but could you tell me which of those boxes are the most commutable from Penarth/ Cardiff?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I'd say all of them, going on my commute of 100 minutes each way from my home address to my SB

Hereford, Abergavenny and Little Mill might be a bit of a trek from Penarth.
Park Junction is in Newport, the lower valley locations should be pretty easy to get to by car and out of the main rush hours.

Redder

I'd say all of them, going on my commute of 100 minutes each way from my home address to my SB

Hereford, Abergavenny and Little Mill might be a bit of a trek from Penarth.
Park Junction is in Newport, the lower valley locations should be pretty easy to get to by car and out of the main rush hours.

That's great thanks, interesting point re being paid as G1 for a full year as that pay scale isn't on the advert so can't really assess what that is regarding affordability.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Signaller Pay Grades 2017:
Grade 1 £24,165
Grade 2 £27,665
Grade 3 £29,999
Grade 4 £31,664
Grade 5 £34,999
Grade 6 £37,081
Grade 7 £39,997
Grade 8 £42,497
Grade 9 £44,166
Grade 10 £46,387

Bare in mind these figures are bare bones salaries, take that as if you sick for one year you'll get that salary (it's six months full sick pay, then half I think).

On top of these headlines you'll get premium for nights, Sundays (not included in the salary figure), bank holidays etc.

For a grade 1-3 you could probably add circa £6,000/7,000 to the headline salary.

Redder

Signaller Pay Grades 2017:
Grade 1 £24,165
Grade 2 £27,665
Grade 3 £29,999
Grade 4 £31,664
Grade 5 £34,999
Grade 6 £37,081
Grade 7 £39,997
Grade 8 £42,497
Grade 9 £44,166
Grade 10 £46,387

Bare in mind these figures are bare bones salaries, take that as if you sick for one year you'll get that salary (it's six months full sick pay, then half I think).

On top of these headlines you'll get premium for nights, Sundays (not included in the salary figure), bank holidays etc.

For a grade 1-3 you could probably add circa £6,000/7,000 to the headline salary.

That's really helpful thank you, that sounds affordable enough to be going on with, its just the school bit to get through with no shift enhancement. Well application is in now see where it goes. Thanks so much for all the advice.

LAX54

Established Member
Also one important point to remember and consider is that you'll be on the grade one salary for the full year, regardless of whether you pass out as a grade two in six months.
Likewise, I believe you'll still retain grade one if you eventually get a grade three or even four job in the first year after finishing school.

You will get the grade of the box you are working as soon as you pass out, you will be one grade lower whilst learning, so if you work / pass out for a 3 or 4 or even 8 in the first year that is the grade you will be paid.

LAX54

Established Member
Does that apply to apprentices or those simply applying for a Signallers post as well ?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
From July 01st I think it was all new non signaling grade applicants who are offered employment in signalling grades are on this new apprenticeship scheme for one year - this means you’ll be on your training grade (one below your full grade) for the full year regardless of how long it takes to actually pass out and work solo.

It doesn’t apply to those of us who were employed prior to the cut off date, or current signallers moving to another grade.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Locations could include:
Hereford
Abergavenny
Little Mill
Radyr
Aberconyon
Park Junction
Tondu
Neath & Brecon Junc

From memory the first 3 are on 12 hour shifts as I think Neath & Brecon is.
Hereford I thought was Gr4 and I know Little Mill was a 2.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
12hr turns are much better, no emergency cover on top of your turn if/when Relief isn’t available.

More time off, and a much better roster.

Chris Czunys

Hi guys, I thought id sign up as I have hit the super nervous stage.
So I applied for a signaller in Cornwall post a couple of months ago on the off chance as my job has kind of hit a dead end. I was told that my application was passed to the next stage. I did 3 online tests and had an email back saying I had successfully reached the standards and to wait for an email for the next stage.
Well I have just arranged my interview, for 2 days time!! is this the final stage now or is there more as I am finally getting nervous worried now. Its a grade 2 box local to myself. Will the interview be very formal, I already have a suit pressed but does anyone have any hints or tips. Many thanks!!

Last edited:

Redder

12hr turns are much better, no emergency cover on top of your turn if/when Relief isn’t available.

More time off, and a much better roster.

Yeah I'd much rather do a 12 hour roster as that's what I'm used to in my current job, fingers crossed and wait and see.

SignalBox

From July 01st I think it was all new non signaling grade applicants who are offered employment in signalling grades are on this new apprenticeship scheme for one year - this means you’ll be on your training grade (one below your full grade) for the full year regardless of how long it takes to actually pass out and work solo.

It doesn’t apply to those of us who were employed prior to the cut off date, or current signallers moving to another grade.

Correct

nom de guerre

SignalBox said:

Correct

Well, that's what I thought - and what was stated at my most recent brief! - but a forum member currently at school has recently been told differently:

Good news.
Just had it confirmed by the training school staff and an RMT union rep that you will go up to your full grade as soon as you pass out on a workstation. You will not have to wait a full year.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/network-rail-signaller-training-pay.155123/

Perhaps chris2.0's start date just missed the cut-off ...?

SignalBox

That's good news for any new Signallers!

I was also told you have to stay in that location for a year before being allowed to move elsewhere, hopefully that's changed too!

nom de guerre

Well I have just arranged my interview, for 2 days time!! is this the final stage now or is there more as I am finally getting nervous worried now. Its a grade 2 box local to myself. Will the interview be very formal, I already have a suit pressed but does anyone have any hints or tips. Many thanks!!

Depends on your background and career history.

Compared to the sector I worked in before joining NR - where the recruitment process consisted of multiple interviews, giving a presentation to the board etc - I'd say NR interviews are reasonably formal (as in, wear a suit), but not very formal. OTOH, if you joined in BR days (when, according to some old hands I've worked with, the interview comprised of being shown around the box and asked: 'Can you get here for early turn?'), the current interview format may seem rather stuffy!

The bulk of the interview will be competency questions relating to the Non-Technical Skills, so prepare accordingly.
Research the box (type of signalling, area/infrastructure controlled, service) and a little on the company.
Wear a suit.

Good luck!