• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Mi&Li

Sellafield is out for recruitment now isn’t it? It sounds absolutely fantastic, I’m not sure I could quite hack a 4h30m commute each way though

As someone who has never so much as been in an operational signal box the ones that appeal to me are definitely the more secluded rural boxes with an ancient, well-maintained mechanical frame. I just love the idea of doing the job in the manner that seems similar to the way it has been done since the 19th century . (I appreciate I’m wildly romanticising and over-simplifying things!).

I remember watching something on telly about the Settle-Carlisle line and some of the isolated boxes there and thinking how wonderful the whole thing looked. Lord of your own domain, watching the seasons change and the weather come in. So I shall plump for that as my personal ‘hero’ box.
Settle-Carlisle line would never get boring for me. +1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOM

A little discussion topic for you all, moaner and non moaner - so signaller and non signaller ! :)

Over in the train steerer threads their asking which TOC or FOC are the glory operators.

Im wondering if there is a signalling location that some may hold up as a glory location for some reason or another?

For the non signallers what would you guys say?

Might it be somewhere like Severn Bridge in Shrewsbury with its huge SB, mechanically operated signalling and status as the largest SB in the country?

Or maybe Sellefield in Cumbria with its views out over the Irish sea, and back drop of the nuclear power and reprocessing plant?

Over to you guys :)
I worked some nice mechanical boxes when I was in the grade but I have always fancied Birmingham New Street. Visited the operating floor once and was impressed.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I live in Plymouth, it’s not much further than Exeter! Although, I do like the idea of lodging in a camper van, sounds like fun. And I apologise for the profanities!!!

When I did it, it was boiling in the summer and freezing in the winter !

I used to boil two hot water bottles then go to bed lol

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I worked some nice mechanical boxes when I was in the grade but I have always fancied Birmingham New Street. Visited the operating floor once and was impressed.

I think I agree there, a really busy terminal or central location like New St or Paddington .

But having recently had the pleasure of working a frame location it would have to be a nice Middle of nowhere GWR box, somewhere like St Blazey or Goonbarrow Road in Cornwall.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Sellafield is out for recruitment now isn’t it? It sounds absolutely fantastic, I’m not sure I could quite hack a 4h30m commute each way though

As someone who has never so much as been in an operational signal box the ones that appeal to me are definitely the more secluded rural boxes with an ancient, well-maintained mechanical frame. I just love the idea of doing the job in the manner that seems similar to the way it has been done since the 19th century . (I appreciate I’m wildly romanticising and over-simplifying things!).

I remember watching something on telly about the Settle-Carlisle line and some of the isolated boxes there and thinking how wonderful the whole thing looked. Lord of your own domain, watching the seasons change and the weather come in. So I shall plump for that as my personal ‘hero’ box.

Blea Moor is my retirement box lol
Total ideal for me on my last 2 or 3 years.

LOM

The beauty of the job is that you can apply for anywhere that you fancy. Especially now you can voluntarily downgrade yourself which used to be not allowed.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I remember going to an assessment centre in Birmingham around 2010 for my 1st signaller assessment, probably application number 163 by this time!

Anyway, there was me an external with four signallers. Three where going for higher grade jobs, but one was going for a lower grade !

They had to undertake, and pass the external assessment centre to downgrade himself ! Thankfully that’s been done away with.

Woody27

When I did it, it was boiling in the summer and freezing in the winter !

I used to boil two hot water bottles then go to bed lol
Hi Tom, I’ve just filled in the questionnaire for Paignton SB, but when I submit, I get an error page, is this because I’ve previously failed the online tests?

Kraken

Hi Tom, I’ve just filled in the questionnaire for Paignton SB, but when I submit, I get an error page, is this because I’ve previously failed the online tests?

Hi Woody, fellow applicant like yourself. Is this the 69 questions bit? If so it’s a good idea to write all your answers in a word document first, then paste them into the web page afterwards. It can time out and you lose all your answer otherwise. Apologies if that’s not what you were talking about.

ILoveLamp

Garsdale and Blea Moor. Most of the rural signal boxes in Cumbria and Yorkshire would be grand with me.
Garsdale was recruiting only a few months back, did you go for it? I was really tempted but was just a tiny bit too far away really. I used to live near there, if I was still there I’d defo have gone for it.

Woody27

How long ago did you fail the online tests?
A couple of months back, stupid mistake really, I got the “most agree and least agree” muddled up, on the situation test! Didn’t notice until I was half way through, I guess that’s what happens when you rush, doh!!

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
A little discussion topic for you all, moaner and non moaner - so signaller and non signaller ! :)

Over in the train steerer threads their asking which TOC or FOC are the glory operators.

Im wondering if there is a signalling location that some may hold up as a glory location for some reason or another?

Over to you guys :)
All the locations I sign for have their good and bad points. Today I've been working a box with a switch panel and 2 trains per hour, but I also get the chance to go out for some exercise when opening and closing the crossing gates. Then another day it could be the thrill of 16 trains per hour whooshing past the window at 125 mph. One place I wouldn't want - and apologies to those that work them - are the newer signalling centres. C'mon people...computer game signalling is not a proper job is it?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
All the locations I sign for have their good and bad points. Today I've been working a box with a switch panel and 2 trains per hour, but I also get the chance to go out for some exercise when opening and closing the crossing gates. Then another day it could be the thrill of 16 trains per hour whooshing past the window at 125 mph. One place I wouldn't want - and apologies to those that work them - are the newer signalling centres. C'mon people...computer game signalling is not a proper job is it?

PlayStation signaller here lol

Ive recently had the opportunity to sign a proper SB, my goodness It’s another world !

Fresh air, birds signing outside, I even saw some goats !

PlayStation signalling has its upsides though, in my 4 years I’ve seen and done more than someone at a grade 3 has done in 10. Good if you want to get evidence for promotions or you like it busy, but the proper SB was fantastic.

Allaboard78

PlayStation signaller here lol

Ive recently had the opportunity to sign a proper SB, my goodness It’s another world !

Fresh air, birds signing outside, I even saw some goats !

PlayStation signalling has its upsides though, in my 4 years I’ve seen and done more than someone at a grade 3 has done in 10. Good if you want to get evidence for promotions or you like it busy, but the proper SB was fantastic.
Can I ask how that works if you're in the roc, how do you sign for a sb? :)

amanda08

Question.
What happens if you start training and just don't "get it"? Or realise the job is not for you?

Does this happen? Are there repercussions?

I am super excited to begin but also a bit nervous as this is unlike anything i've done before.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Question.
What happens if you start training and just don't "get it"? Or realise the job is not for you?

I am super excited to begin but also a bit nervous as this is unlike anything i've done before.

Firstly don’t panic, you will get it.
The course is designed to get you from not knowing one end of a train to another to a fully trained, signal box training ready signaller.

The trainers are fantastic, anything you don’t get just ask they’ll help you out.
There will probably be something you just don’t get until very late in the course, then it’ll all click into place.

Best of luck!

Danny Boy

I cq
Question.

I guess if it’s not for you you will need to look for something else.

As for not getting it all I can do is echo what Tom has said above. I’m starting week 5 at York having been recruited “off the street” and had the same worries at the beginning that after 3 weeks I would fail the exam and be heading home. The trainer has been great helping everyone when needed and also the received & given to other class members helps as well.
Yes it is hard and you need to put the work in but if you do then there is no reason why you won’t get through.

amanda08

Firstly don’t panic, you will get it.
The course is designed to get you from not knowing one end of a train to another to a fully trained, signal box training ready signaller.

The trainers are fantastic, anything you don’t get just ask they’ll help you out.
There will probably be something you just don’t get until very late in the course, then it’ll all click into place.

Best of luck!
Thanks. Just getting pre-job nerves I guess!

High Dyke

Established Member
Thanks. Just getting pre-job nerves I guess!
I'm sure you'll be fine. Yes, it will be hard work training, however, by actually starting a course is also testament to the impression you made at the interview and how well you did on the application tests. At the end of the day management also have an interest in you being successful on the course.

89jordanbj

Anybody else here applied for the x5 Westbury positions?

Had no updates for a few months now. Could possibly be a case of hiring manager waiting until face to face interviews can start again.

Surprised they weren't filled internally tbh.. Good grade, nice part of the country etc

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Westbury is very juicy indeed, definitely put an app in for that !
Grade 6, 12hrs double manned on days and single on nights I believe.

Fringes with five other SB/Workstations, nice mix of express, regional and local passenger, plenty of freight traffic and some tricky Class 7 freights upto London from the quarries. Two single lines with acceptance slots, station and yard areas at Westbury to manage - very interesting location.

Almost tempted myself !

TootTootToot

Hi. During an application process does anyone know if there is a significant variance between Complete Verbal Ability Test (O) and Complete Verbal Ability Test (S)?

Are they just different variations / scenarios of the test?

Much appreciated.