• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

chris2.0

Perhaps chris2.0's start date just missed the cut-off ...?
I started 31st July, so I am one of the first batch of proper apprentices.
Its been confirmed by my local operations manager now too. You get your full pay as soon as you pass out on a desk.
It is true however you are locked to a location for a year, there are also some additional Maths and English (functional skills) test to be sat whilst at signalling school, however these are nothing to worry about, they will not affect you passing the course. The signalling school course now lasts 12 weeks too which means you have more learning and simulator time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Redder

I started 31st July, so I am one of the first batch of proper apprentices.
Its been confirmed by my local operations manager now too. You get your full pay as soon as you pass out on a desk.
It is true however you are locked to a location for a year, there are also some additional Maths and English (functional skills) test to be sat whilst at signalling school, however these are nothing to worry about, they will not affect you passing the course. The signalling school course now lasts 12 weeks too which means you have more learning and simulator time.

That's good to know.

Chris Czunys

Thank you for the answer. much appreciated. One last thing, on previous posts there seems to be a lot of potential applicants who seem to know ALOT about the job before they have even started. I seen the job advertised locally, it seems extremely interesting but know very little about signalling, and the job description didn't say anything about knowledge of signalling? is it better to cram in as much as I can or have things changed? thanks

chris2.0

is it better to cram in as much as I can or have things changed? thanks

There is no expectations for delegates to have any railway knowledge, in fact the majority of people on my course were 'off the street' and had little idea of how the railway worked passed buying a ticket. Everything it's taught in detail from scratch by expert trainers.

Chris Czunys

There is no expectations for delegates to have any railway knowledge, in fact the majority of people on my course were 'off the street' and had little idea of how the railway worked passed buying a ticket. Everything it's taught in detail from scratch by expert trainers.

Thank you, that puts my nervous mind at rest.
Like I said I have an interview on Friday after completing those online tests so fingers crossed as I am very much excited about a career as a signaller !

john.ump

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing and this adage was true in my intake. You will be judged on your non-technical skills and cannot be asked any rules related questions.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Signalling school is designed to equip joe Blogs who doesn’t know one end of a train to the other to become a competent Signaller, so no prior knowledge is required.

However, it does make it easier to understand and grasp the concepts of yoi so have at least a basic understanding.

galaxynew

I have an interview next week, just wondering if i am successful (by no means am i being presumptuous) would signalling school start in the new year do you think, i am guessing they wouldn't start a 12 week course just 7-8 weeks before xmas ?

Do they have more than one course taking place at a time or do they basically start every 12 weeks and successful applicants get on the next one to start with availability.

heppy1995

I have an interview next week, just wondering if i am successful (by no means am i being presumptuous) would signalling school start in the new year do you think, i am guessing they wouldn't start a 12 week course just 7-8 weeks before xmas ?

Do they have more than one course taking place at a time or do they basically start every 12 weeks and successful applicants get on the next one to start with availability.
First of all, good luck with your interview next week.
Secondly, I have just had my start date for signalling school at York confirmed for 4th December so they definitely do run courses over the Christmas and New Year period but I am told we will have two weeks leave over the festive period.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
That’s correct you’ll get leave over the Xmas period, whether it’s taken out of your annual leave allowance or a paid leave not deducted I don’t know, I would assume it’s just paid leave.

If you lucky you won’t be hit with an exam first day you return !

Chris Czunys

First of all, good luck with your interview next week.
Secondly, I have just had my start date for signalling school at York confirmed for 4th December so they definitely do run courses over the Christmas and New Year period but I am told we will have two weeks leave over the festive period.

how long was the wait from the interview to starting Signalling school out of curiosity, as it is such a long waiting period from the beginning of the application lol. thanks :D

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Personally speaking I was interviewed late Sept, medical early October and started school late Jan.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
When I was at the York school they had four classes going at one time, staggered starts so there was always four groups ongoing.

There were two AB courses, one NX and one IECC.

Chris Czunys

Personally speaking I was interviewed late Sept, medical early October and started school late Jan.

I thought this would be the case, thanks everyone for the info. Now to try and smash this interview, is it selfish to hope there are only a handful of people attending haha

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Not at all mate !

At the interview stage for every position on offer there are five applicants I think the new standard says.

Sunset route

We have/had around 23 interviewees for 11 positions with around 30 held on the reserve list from all walks of life, signallers on premotion, other internal NR and from outside the rail industry. From a selfish point of view this time round I hope more signallers pass the interview than the others as we need bums on seats as quick as possible as waiting for recruits to pass through training school is going to make spring and summer next year very unpleasant with virtual inforced overtime to keep the railway open.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Sounds like the crack across the grade really, not enough butts to work the job without constant RDW.

Chris Czunys

Thats interesting to know. Thanks.
The whole interview arrangement has been great personally so far. i was emailed on tuesday to call to arrange it, i called an hour later and the manager said we can do this Friday which was only 2.5 days notice but it doesnt give me enough time to get worried. this has been the quickest part of applying by far. It is a small grade 2 box which is local to myself and through the job description and my own research it really does seem like it would suit my personality down to the ground.

heppy1995

how long was the wait from the interview to starting Signalling school out of curiosity, as it is such a long waiting period from the beginning of the application lol. thanks :D

My interview was at the end of July, heard back about a week later. My medical was mid September and I found out I had passed 2 weeks later and I start signalling school the first week in December. It is such a long process but ultimately so worth it in the end!

Chris Czunys

My interview was at the end of July, heard back about a week later. My medical was mid September and I found out I had passed 2 weeks later and I start signalling school the first week in December. It is such a long process but ultimately so worth it in the end!

Thanjs. I was hoping it wasnt dragged out if i missed out. The waiting is the worst part lol. I am currently working so IF i got offered the job i would have to figure out notice periods and such. Its all very exciting but my nerves are shot.

cogload

Hi guys, I thought id sign up as I have hit the super nervous stage.
So I applied for a signaller in Cornwall post a couple of months ago on the off chance as my job has kind of hit a dead end. I was told that my application was passed to the next stage. I did 3 online tests and had an email back saying I had successfully reached the standards and to wait for an email for the next stage.
Well I have just arranged my interview, for 2 days time!! is this the final stage now or is there more as I am finally getting nervous worried now. Its a grade 2 box local to myself. Will the interview be very formal, I already have a suit pressed but does anyone have any hints or tips. Many thanks!!

Roskear?

Chris Czunys

And now it is the waiting game. Phew. The two interviewers were very nice. Repeated a question for me as my answer initially took me in to the middle of nowhere. Didnt know i had to take my i.d so just emailed that if anyone else also didnt know to take it.
I dont usually get nervous but that did me in haha

baz962

Established Member
Hi all I know it probably has been on here somewhere but a lot of post's to go through so would anyone know what the training/starting salary would be on a grade 7 job., many thanks.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Signaller Pay Grades 2017:

Grade 1 £24,165

Grade 2 £27,665

Grade 3 £29,999

Grade 4 £31,664

Grade 5 £34,999

Grade 6 £37,081 < Grade 7 Training rate

Grade 7 £39,997

Grade 8 £42,497

Grade 9 £44,166

Grade 10 £46,387

Sunset route

Signaller Pay Grades 2017:
Grade 1 £24,165
Grade 2 £27,665
Grade 3 £29,999
Grade 4 £31,664
Grade 5 £34,999
Grade 6 £37,081
Grade 7 £39,997
Grade 8 £42,497
Grade 9 £44,166
Grade 10 £46,387

Bare in mind these figures are bare bones salaries, take that as if you sick for one year you'll get that salary (it's six months full sick pay, then half I think).

On top of these headlines you'll get premium for nights, Sundays (not included in the salary figure), bank holidays etc.

For a grade 1-3 you could probably add circa £6,000/7,000 to the headline salary.

Hi all I know it probably has been on here somewhere but a lot of post's to go through so would anyone know what the training/starting salary would be on a grade 7 job., many thanks.

As per Toms post, training is one grade below what you've applied for.

Sunset route

Wow so the day you step through the door day one 37,000 Blimey they pay trainees well then thanks.

And if it's a grade 7 panel box your going to, then you get to learn your trade with live passengers and track workers, no sims just real world, that tends to concentrate the mind. You get paid because of the responsibility that you will undertaking.

baz962

Established Member
And if it's a grade 7 panel box your going to, then you get to learn your trade with live passengers and track workers, no sims just real world, that tends to concentrate the mind. You get paid because of the responsibility that you will undertaking.

Well it's Cambridge and as its quite near for me I'm probably going to throw my hat in the ring