• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ten7

Hi,

The call the next day with good news would depend on the Lom and if they can be bothered. Im guessing most would leave it to HR otherwise they will be phoning candidates everytime when its actually HR job.

Assesment 2 scheduled means that u will be having your interview and all the other people interviewed for the vacancy will have the same status. until all the interview papers and scores have been talied up by the Lom and sent off to HR. Interviews can be spread over weeks due to the Loms work schedule and fitting in interviews so will take time. Imagine if it was 30 interviews! Once HR have the interview papers they will change your status to assesment 2 complete. They will then taly up the scores and normaly tell the people that were unsuccessful the next day or within a few days. I had unsuccessful the next day and one three days later in the past. When i got the job when i was coming from external it had taken around 2 weeks before the status changed to formal offer in progress. So the longer it takes to get a reply from HR when u get assesment 2 complete the better. Hope this helps
What if the scores of 2 or more candidates are the same. Then what happens?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sinistah

im guessing its the LOM's decision then to choose who came across better in interview

Clydefrog

What if the scores of 2 or more candidates are the same. Then what happens?
Im just drawing on experience here. I have seen how they score the interviews and it would be very unlikely to get the same score. If it did happen i guess it would be up to the Lom. Who they prefered in the interview. Like what sinistah said.

Redder

Hi, does anyone knows which if any of the South Wales boxes outside of the ROC work a 12 hour roster? Thanks in advance.

ten7

Hi,

The call the next day with good news would depend on the Lom and if they can be bothered. Im guessing most would leave it to HR otherwise they will be phoning candidates everytime when its actually HR job.

Assesment 2 scheduled means that u will be having your interview and all the other people interviewed for the vacancy will have the same status. until all the interview papers and scores have been talied up by the Lom and sent off to HR. Interviews can be spread over weeks due to the Loms work schedule and fitting in interviews so will take time. Imagine if it was 30 interviews! Once HR have the interview papers they will change your status to assesment 2 complete. They will then taly up the scores and normaly tell the people that were unsuccessful the next day or within a few days. I had unsuccessful the next day and one three days later in the past. When i got the job when i was coming from external it had taken around 2 weeks before the status changed to formal offer in progress. So the longer it takes to get a reply from HR when u get assesment 2 complete the better. Hope this helps
Surely they wouldn’t send unsuccessful emails out until the person they offered it to accepts and passes any pre-employment checks. Otherwise, if they don’t accept or fail checks, they won’t have anyone to fall back on.

Sinistah

you would think that but not sure tbh. I think that's a question for HR or an Operations Manager

Norm88

What’s people’s thoughts on applying for multiple signalling positions? I’d never normally apply for more than one position with the same company at any one time, but there’s several positions out there that I’d take up if offered. Would people go for the one at a time approach, or have people applied for multiple positions and been accepted? This is assuming obviously that the online tests are passed for the first position I apply, and to a standard which meets the grades of the other positions.

ten7

Im just drawing on experience here. I have seen how they score the interviews and it would be very unlikely to get the same score. If it did happen i guess it would be up to the Lom. Who they prefered in the interview. Like what sinistah said.
I would have thought who they preferred should play a part anyway. Otherwise, if it’s only done on score, they might end up having to hire someone they know they won’t be able to work with.

Sinistah

What’s people’s thoughts on applying for multiple signalling positions? I’d never normally apply for more than one position with the same company at any one time, but there’s several positions out there that I’d take up if offered. Would people go for the one at a time approach, or have people applied for multiple positions and been accepted? This is assuming obviously that the online tests are passed for the first position I apply, and to a standard which meets the grades of the other positions.
I applied to a load but you obviously have your favourites. There is no point applying for one. If i had done that i would have still been sitting with the three bridges application and would have missed another 6 posts that were lesser grades.

ten7

I applied to a load but you obviously have your favourites. There is no point applying for one. If i had done that i would have still been sitting with the three bridges application and would have missed another 6 posts that were lesser grades.
Three Bridges is Sussex ROC right?

Clydefrog

Surely they wouldn’t send unsuccessful emails out until the person they offered it to accepts and passes any pre-employment checks. Otherwise, if they don’t accept or fail checks, they won’t have anyone to fall back on.
Well like i said, I have been sent a unsuccessful email the day after and three days later so who knows!

Clydefrog

I would have thought who they preferred should play a part anyway. Otherwise, if it’s only done on score, they might end up having to hire someone they know they won’t be able to work with.
Well if you read my previous messages i did say “i guess the Lom would have the final decision.”

Clydefrog

The other reason it is more done on score is to try and prevent favouritism. Like if the Lom knows the applicant it can be unfair. It is silly using that system for fairness anyway as the Lom could just score high even with mediocer answers.

Sinistah

Yeah i went for the grade 9 panel. I went for a few grade 3,s also because there would probably be less competition and i really want to get into the industry

Norm88

Ah yeah totally get you in terms of not wanting to miss other opportunities. I’m exactly in that boat. I just worry about not coming across very well if I’ve loads of applications in for various locations, as opposed to the commitment of applying for one location. Having said that, multiple applications could show you were dedicated to that career. Depends how HR look at it

ten7

Ah yeah totally get you in terms of not wanting to miss other opportunities. I’m exactly in that boat. I just worry about not coming across very well if I’ve loads of applications in for various locations, as opposed to the commitment of applying for one location. Having said that, multiple applications could show you were dedicated to that career. Depends how HR look at it
Don’t think HR have that much of a say.

Lasbrisas

I had an interview after already being offered another position, I had applied for about 10 different locations altogether so it doesn't seem to be a problem. If you apply for a high grade position, ie grade 7,8,9 you will be up against other signallers from lower grades also applying even though it is advertised externally.

uww11x

Does anyone know the usual waiting time from Online Tests to a Potential Interview/Unsuccessful email?

Redder

Does anyone know the usual waiting time from Online Tests to a Potential Interview/Unsuccessful email?
In my experience after around 6 unsuccessful applications at least 8-12 weeks but that's for the unsuccessful email, so far have not made it to interview so couldn't help with that timescale.

hsharma25

May be impatient lol. But I received the email saying I passed the tests last Monday (16th)

I passed online tests to and received email last Monday 16th too. What job did you go for, I went for Grade 2 Evesham

I thought they may wait till job closing date has passed which is today so hopefully hear something soon

uww11x

In my experience after around 6 unsuccessful applications at least 8-12 weeks but that's for the unsuccessful email, so far have not made it to interview so couldn't help with that timescale.

Quite a while then lol. The end of the email got my hopes up saying they would be in touch again shortly.

uww11x

I passed online tests to and received email last Monday 16th too. What job did you go for, I went for Grade 2 Evesham

I thought they may wait till job closing date has passed which is today so hopefully hear something soon

Culgaith on the SnC, Grade 2. The advert it's self has since closed.

Norm88

Culgaith on the SnC, Grade 2. The advert it's self has since closed.
Might be worth giving HR a quick courtesy call just to establish how long it’s likely to be, as you need to know for your circumstances etc. No harm in doing that. If you do, let us know as it seems there’s a few people in the same position and would be useful to know how long they are taking at present!

TRain87

I think you guys need to read back previous threads. Few pages back someone uploaded a shot of the time scale from applying to being successful, with all dates and times. I done the same about 30 pages back. I know when I was applying, I read every page of this thread. The last thing HR need is everyone ringing after 1 week saying how long will it be to find out if I have an interview...NOTHING is quick in rail way recruitment so you need to learn to be patient!