• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
About 2 hours but with traffic and lack of knowledge of the area il give myself 3 hours. Undecided whether to stay in a B and B the night before

Its nothing tasking, or to the point you need to be Sharpe like an interview or assessment.

Leave yourself the 3hrs you say, nice slow drive chill and save yourself the money of a B&B.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailNoob

Im starting to think the HR process is apart of Signaller training.. you need to have the patience of a saint waiting for anything to happen!

Chumba

This is still the case - as you say, drive up to security and tell them why you are there etc, and they will let you through

When I visited Basingstoke ROC recently for a medical OH had forgotten to put my name on the gate so security wouldn’t let me in even with the confirmation letter. I had to park in a small car park about 50 yards from the gate and wait till someone from the medical team came to the gate to collect me. Previously for interview my name was on the gate and a parking space had been pre booked for me in the car park.

Last edited:

LokiB

I've just looked on the Network Rail website and a signaller job is advertised at Doncaster. However it's a grade 9 level. I know it's very unlikely I'd get anywhere with it at that level but nothing to lose trying.
Has anyone ever got straight into a level 9 role with no experience?
Also, is there a limit on how many times you can apply for jobs at NR in a set timescale? I believe at certain places you can't reapply within 6 months. Obviously I wouldn't want to risk not being able to apply for something at a lower grade of they came up.

Kraken

I've just looked on the Network Rail website and a signaller job is advertised at Doncaster. However it's a grade 9 level. I know it's very unlikely I'd get anywhere with it at that level but nothing to lose trying.
Also, is there a limit on how many times you can apply for jobs at NR in a set timescale? I believe at certain places you can't reapply within 6 months. Obviously I wouldn't want to risk not being able to apply for something at a lower grade of they came up.

Previously there have been many tales on here about people going in a Grade 9 with no experience so nothing to lose I guess! I got a job recently when I had 5 or 6 active applications and another 5 that I had previously made so I would say apply for everything you think you can realistically take on. You won’t be penalised for having a lot of unsuccessful applications on your record, or at least I wasn’t.

LokiB

Previously there have been many tales on here about people going in a Grade 9 with no experience so nothing to lose I guess! I got a job recently when I had 5 or 6 active applications and another 5 that I had previously made so I would say apply for everything you think you can realistically take on. You won’t be penalised for having a lot of unsuccessful applications on your record, or at least I wasn’t.

Thanks for the reply Kraken. I might as well give it a shot then, the worse they can say is no.

No harm in applying; I applied for Doncaster using the same CV and application answers (Slightly tweaked to highlight certain aspects of my current job) that got me a grade 6 interview last week (Awaiting the result) and I have no railway experience whatsoever.

olilee2

How rare would you say it is for an external candidate to be selected over an internal after an interview?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
How rare would you say it is for an external candidate to be selected over an internal after an interview?

Depends how good the external is, and how poor the internal is.

Just because your a signaller doesn’t make you a shoe in for the job, there are plenty of internal factors that are used (unofficially) to select candidates from internal applicants.

High Dyke

Established Member
And there's also been the odd bizarre situation where a signaller, covering a job on secondment, has not been given an interview when that position is advertised as a permanent job.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
And there's also been the odd bizarre situation where a signaller, covering a job on secondment, has not been given an interview when that position is advertised as a permanent job.

Do you retain your resident pay grade when you go on secondment even if the secondment is at a lower rate of pay?

Grade 8 resident on a grade 3 secondment etc?

Bunnymomma

Hello all, been roaming in and out of this forum for months from my first application in March.

After numerous applications I've managed to bag myself an interview next week for a box about 50 min away from me. Absolutely chuffed I've got a chance.

I know I'm not at the end of the road yet but just wanted to take the time to say thank you to all you lovely people who have been invaluable this far!

Best wishes,

N x

MrsP2010

Hello all, been roaming in and out of this forum for months from my first application in March.

After numerous applications I've managed to bag myself an interview next week for a box about 50 min away from me. Absolutely chuffed I've got a chance.

I know I'm not at the end of the road yet but just wanted to take the time to say thank you to all you lovely people who have been invaluable this far!

Best wishes,

N x
Good luck with your interview. It’s all about the prep and getting examples. Get that right and you’re in with a chance :)

Jaysub

Best wishes,

N x
What area you get interview for?

Sammy2019

Just had a invite for a pre recorded video interview. Has anyone else done this?

Never done a pre recorded interview before so have no idea what to expect to be honest. The invite expires on the 15th so least I have a bit of time.

jon777

Just had a invite for a pre recorded video interview. Has anyone else done this?

Never done a pre recorded interview before so have no idea what to expect to be honest. The invite expires on the 15th so least I have a bit of time.
Hi Sammy,

Congrats on getting an interview. Never heard of a pre recorded video int before. Please let us know how it goes. Can I ask which box it is for?

Cheers

Jon

Sammy2019

Hi Sammy,

Congrats on getting an interview. Never heard of a pre recorded video int before. Please let us know how it goes. Can I ask which box it is for?

Cheers

Jon

thanks mate.

it’s the new grade 2 roles, West Midlands and north London advertised on there a few weeks back.

will220498

Hey mate, also just been invited to a video interview which also expires on the 15th for the Ashford Grade 8... Also never done one before so you're not alone haha!

I answered the question about pre recorded interviews a few pages back, as it sounds like all Future Opportunities follow the same recruitment method now...

There were also standard video interviews, which were just normal interviews but over the internet.

The pre-recorded interviews are scenario based but no prior knowledge of anything is required. It seems to be testing your ability to take in the information and then make a decision, and explain it. I doubt there’s a correct decision for each scenario but it’s proving you listen, take in the information and then make a decision and can say why you did.

Took about 45 minutes if I remember right.

will220498

Cheers mate! I read somewhere else on here that it was just a competency-based interview... might be different for a signaller though to be fair.

pocketjacks

I’ve also just been invited to a video interview aswell to be completed by the 15th. If anyone knows any further information could you please let me know? I dont know if this replaces the proper interview or not

Charliew24

Seems like a-lot of people were today invited to a pre recorded interview. Can anyone give any pointers as to what to expect. I have 2 applications pending and it isn't allocated to either.

Does this replace a normal interview does anybody know?

thanks in advance for any advice/tips