• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Mills444

Its for Dullingham signal box :)
Congratulations I also applied for that box so I assume I did not get it, when were you told you had got an interview? Also I found a lot of useful websites about the box if you want me to give you some links to them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sammy2019

Having a look at the network rail website at the signaller rail recruitment process it says -
  • Virtual assessment – you'll take part in in an online assessment which will include a Video interview to talk through your skills and experiences in more detail

RailNoob

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the below subject... ive checked my careers portal and its showing that my formal offer has been sent but I haven't received it as of yet, is this normal practice or should I chase HR?

Tigerned371

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the below subject... ive checked my careers portal and its showing that my formal offer has been sent but I haven't received it as of yet, is this normal practice or should I chase HR?
Chase HR if its been more than a few hours.

Bunnymomma

Congratulations I also applied for that box so I assume I did not get it, when were you told you had got an interview? Also I found a lot of useful websites about the box if you want me to give you some links to them?
Hi Mills,

Thanks very much, I got an email quite late last night, I wouldn't loose hope yet as some set it our over a couple of days as they can get quite busy with lots of applicants!

That would be lovely if you'd be happy to share :) feel free to message me. Got my fingers crossed for you :)

headshot119

Established Member
Having a look at the network rail website at the signaller rail recruitment process it says -
  • Virtual assessment – you'll take part in in an online assessment which will include a Video interview to talk through your skills and experiences in more detail

Give it 24 hours from the time it went to formal offer sent, on all of my jobs there's always been a delay of a few hours, and one was overnight as it got done late on in the day.

Mills444

Hi Mills,

Thanks very much, I got an email quite late last night, I wouldn't loose hope yet as some set it our over a couple of days as they can get quite busy with lots of applicants!

That would be lovely if you'd be happy to share :) feel free to message me. Got my fingers crossed for you :)
That's good to know then thanks for that. I'll just put the info on here in case anyone else wants it in the future.

The links are as below

As I understand it the traffic through the station consists wholly of one stopping train per hour mainly using the line nearest to the box with noly one train per day using the loop line to pass a service.

Trackboy

Does anyone know if your internal and current role is signaller. Do you need to do this video interview?

Kraken

Did you end up getting your pack yet RailNoob?

RailNoob

Did you end up getting your pack yet RailNoob?
Nope, HR has emailed me this morning though (catching up on work) she was told it had been sent but I deffnitley haven't seen anything she's going to chase it up first thing for me just want to get the ball rolling! Have you had a start date yet?

GMac1502

Has anyone done the video interview yet? If so how did you get on?
I done one about 5 weeks ago, was ok, logged on fine, just click the link in the email beford the interview time then they csn see your online and must activate it at their end, i found it weird sitting in my house with a shirt and tie on but talking to my samsung tablet but my LOM who interviewed me was brand new. Lasted about 35 mims in total. Must have been good as i got the job.

Kraken

Nope, HR has emailed me this morning though (catching up on work) she was told it had been sent but I deffnitley haven't seen anything she's going to chase it up first thing for me just want to get the ball rolling! Have you had a start date yet?

Nice, sounds like it’s in hand :)

Yes I did get a date, heading off to York in mid-November for school. Apparently that means we get a fortnight in the middle for Christmas - not sure if that’s good news because it gives me more time to revise, or bad news because it gives me more time to forget! I’m overjoyed about getting a date though, it sort of feels like the last hurdle of recruitment. Hopefully the next hurdle of training will not prove insurmountable!

RailNoob

Yes I did get a date, heading off to York in mid-November for school. Apparently that means we get a fortnight in the middle for Christmas - not sure if that’s good news because it gives me more time to revise, or bad news because it gives me more time to forget! I’m overjoyed about getting a date though, it sort of feels like the last hurdle of recruitment. Hopefully the next hurdle of training will not prove insurmountable!
Yeah hopefully!

Are you nervous at all for the training?

Jaysub

Nice one kraken...congrats

which area did you get?

pocketjacks

I done one about 5 weeks ago, was ok, logged on fine, just click the link in the email beford the interview time then they csn see your online and must activate it at their end, i found it weird sitting in my house with a shirt and tie on but talking to my samsung tablet but my LOM who interviewed me was brand new. Lasted about 35 mims in total. Must have been good as i got the job.

This sounds a bit different as to what I have been invited to do. My one seems to be pre-record questions which you then answer over video. You can complete it at anytime before the deadline. If anyone has completed this, could you let us know how you got on?

Katey89

Hi I’ve received an invite to assessment 2 pending, does this mean I’ll definitely have an interview or just made it to the LOM’s desk for consideration? TIA :)

Kraken

Hi I’ve received an invite to assessment 2 pending, does this mean I’ll definitely have an interview or just made it to the LOM’s desk for consideration? TIA :)

Pretty sure it means you are all but nailed on for an interview. I only saw it once and that was before getting an interview, nice one!

Kraken

Yeah hopefully!

Are you nervous at all for the training?

It feels a bit far away to be too nervous at the moment, I’m sure that will come a bit further down the line though! From the advice I’ve read on here though if you take it seriously and work hard it shouldn’t be something to overly worry about. Of course, that doesn’t take into account the possibility that I turn up and just plain don’t have the aptitude for it!

Boobah086

Was this scenario or competency based type questions?

LOM

It means you are under consideration for the interview shortlist. It does not mean you are definitely going to be getting an interview.

RailNoob

It feels a bit far away to be too nervous at the moment, I’m sure that will come a bit further down the line though! From the advice I’ve read on here though if you take it seriously and work hard it shouldn’t be something to overly worry about. Of course, that doesn’t take into account the possibility that I turn up and just plain don’t have the aptitude for it!
Yeah ive been reading alot into it, deffnitley just going to go in with the right attitude in reality its 12 weeks of hard work for the rest of your life I think it will be a really good but challenging experience!

will220498

I gave recruitment a ring this morning to try and find out more about the pre-recorded interviews as mine still hasn't been allocated to either position I applied to. He couldn't tell me which position it was, just that it would be updated once I've completed the interview. He also didn't know if it was a scenario-based or competency-based interview but he did say that this wasn't meant to replace the face to face interview... just another step towards one.

Sorry I couldn't find out more guys haha!