• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bunnymomma

Teams interview done today, feeling quite hopeful as I feel things went well considering I got an email for interview 3 days ago!
But will have to wait and see fingers and toes crossed.

MidlandsChap

Evening all

I have seen there are 2 x 12month fixed term positions in the Peterborough box. Does anybody happen to know why this is? Just that it seems rather unusual. Secondly what is likely to happen to the two successful candidates after the 12 months are up? If the posts were full time I would be putting in an application, but in the current climate job security is everything.

Thanks

nom de guerre

Evening all

I have seen there are 2 x 12month fixed term positions in the Peterborough box. Does anybody happen to know why this is? Just that it seems rather unusual. Secondly what is likely to happen to the two successful candidates after the 12 months are up? If the posts were full time I would be putting in an application, but in the current climate job security is everything.

Thanks

No local knowledge I’m afraid, but it isn’t that unusual.

It costs the company thousands to train a new starter, so providing you’re competent and don’t rub everyone up the wrong way, they’ll want to keep you. All the 12-month FTCs I’ve encountered are still in the grade or company.

If you’re interested, apply. Keep your options open. Remember, you’ll be able to question the manager during the interview. If you don’t like what you hear then, you don’t have to accept the job.

High Dyke

Established Member
Evening all

Thanks
Can't say for certain, but it may be due to the forthcoming closure of King's Cross PSB. Displaced signallers from there may have secured a job at Peterborough, but they haven't been released from London yet. Therefore, a 12 month FTC may be put up to cover any potential shortage. As mentioned you would expect the role to become permanent in due course, or other opportunities to arise along the way.

Billyc87

Hi all I have my first interview for a signaller position tomorrow, it’s also my first interview in 15 years, how did anyone find the interview experience over Microsoft teams?

Tigerned371

Friday August 21st. For shifts worked Sunday 19th July - Saturday 15th August.
If your days on the Saturday you’ll get the full day obviously, night turn I assume it’ll only be until 2359? The remaining hours paid next month?
Thankyou. I start 1st September and know its 4 weekly not monthly so was just getting my financial stuff ready :)

Bunnymomma

Hi all I have my first interview for a signaller position tomorrow, it’s also my first interview in 15 years, how did anyone find the interview experience over Microsoft teams?
Hi Billy,

Had my interview over teams yesterday. It was very straightforward! I actually used my phone propped up against something as I feel it has a better camera than my dinosaur old laptop.

Its quite easy to navigate around you should have a link that you need to click on about 5 mins before. If you need any help with it don't be afraid to drop me a message.

Wishing you the best of luck!
N

Kraken

I found it fairly stress-free. I would advise putting your laptop or phone up on some books or something so the camera is at eye level and you’re not ‘looking down’ at your interviewers. I was paranoid about my crappy internet and computer so I logged 15 minutes before and pretty much sat there staring at the screen like a lemon waiting for the interviewers to come along - much better than having the stress of it not working with 2 minutes to go though I figured! The interviewers (and me) did drop out a few times but you can’t really legislate for that. Very best of luck and I hope you don’t end up waiting too long for a result.

Mikesig

If your days on the Saturday you’ll get the full day obviously, night turn I assume it’ll only be until 2359? The remaining hours paid next month?

No. If you're nights on the last Saturday of the pay period you get paid for the full shift including the enhancement for the hours that you are rostered after midnight into Sunday.

croydonboy

Hi all, has any experienced signallers got any tips for a fellow signaller taking the leap from a lever framed box (TCB area) to a VDU workstation setup in the near future? Any reads ? Excited to say the least!

Thanks

Conorg

I’m the same as you. Starting 5th October on the Tyne Blyth line! No sign of a signal school date yet, so I’m not sure what we’ll be doing, but I’m looking forward to it!!
Mine says the same cant wait, you heard anymore yet? Seems like theres a few of us :)

MidlandsChap

No local knowledge I’m afraid, but it isn’t that unusual.

It costs the company thousands to train a new starter, so providing you’re competent and don’t rub everyone up the wrong way, they’ll want to keep you. All the 12-month FTCs I’ve encountered are still in the grade or company.

If you’re interested, apply. Keep your options open. Remember, you’ll be able to question the manager during the interview. If you don’t like what you hear then, you don’t have to accept the job.
Can't say for certain, but it may be due to the forthcoming closure of King's Cross PSB. Displaced signallers from there may have secured a job at Peterborough, but they haven't been released from London yet. Therefore, a 12 month FTC may be put up to cover any potential shortage. As mentioned you would expect the role to become permanent in due course, or other opportunities to arise along the way.

Thanks very much to you both for the replies.

olilee2

Just got the email telling me I was successful for the Feltham ASC G7 job. Like a lot of people I have to say that every word of this forum has been worth its weight in gold and I have to thank everyone on here who have taken their time to help me and others get to this point. Over the moon now and haven’t been able to stop grinning for hours!

Just got the email telling me I was successful for the Feltham ASC G7 job. Like a lot of people I have to say that every word of this forum has been worth its weight in gold and I have to thank everyone on here who have taken their time to help me and others get to this point. Over the moon now and haven’t been able to stop grinning for hours!

Well done! See you there in a few months !

Katey89

congratulations!!!