• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

nom de guerre

Does anyone know if Lincoln road crossing box is eligible for inner London allowance? It’s only a grade 1 crossing keeper box...

Where is it? Not a box I’m familiar with.

As far as Inner London goes, the grade is irrelevant - any location within 16 miles of Charing Cross is eligible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pcoftw

Where is it? Not a box I’m familiar with.

As far as Inner London goes, the grade is irrelevant - any location within 16 miles of Charing Cross is eligible.
It’s in Enfield, London borough of Enfield. I believe the postcode area to be EN1. Grade 1 crossing keeper.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I appreciate that. Everything about the training has changed these days. My TCB course was a two-day event, the exam being on the second day. The important part is knowing where to find the information.

I used to keep a printed list of all the bell codes in my "useful folder" in my locker.

cowboysfan

Hello, was wondering if this would be frowned upon. I recently rushed into applying for an internal signaller role which I at first thought maybe too far, I ended up getting an interview which is scheduled for tomorrow. On more thought about this role I think the round trip of 130+ miles will be too far too commute although just falls within Network Rails commutable distance interms of time traveled to work. I'm fairly new to the signaller role so think especially while learning I think it may be a step to far. So I was curious if I would look really bad to cancel my interview for tomorrow as I don't want to waste the interviewers time.

SignallerJohn

Hello, was wondering if this would be frowned upon. I recently rushed into applying for an internal signaller role which I at first thought maybe too far, I ended up getting an interview which is scheduled for tomorrow. On more thought about this role I think the round trip of 130+ miles will be too far too commute although just falls within Network Rails commutable distance interms of time traveled to work. I'm fairly new to the signaller role so think especially while learning I think it may be a step to far. So I was curious if I would look really bad to cancel my interview for tomorrow as I don't want to waste the interviewers time.
If you have to cancel you have to cancel.

People cancel interviews all the time, but didn’t you realise the distance when you applied?

If you’ve got nothing on and got a day free for it (if you’re internal you should be booked off for it) what have you got to lose, a bit of petrol money?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

If nothing else it’s a day off, and interview experience.

cowboysfan

Thanks for the replies Tom/John I'm just going to go for it and just take on the experience if I get the role I can certainly work around the distance. I'm just overthinking it abit too much.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks for the replies Tom/John I'm just going to go for it and just take on the experience if I get the role I can certainly work around the distance. I'm just overthinking it abit too much.

My first box was a 95 minute drive each way, I lodged at the box until I could get a move home.

89jordanbj

Hi All,

Does anyone know the shift pattern for Tram Inn? Interview pending for this box so any additional (that's not already in this thread!) info would be appreciated. Thanks
Good luck for your interview. I am currently at signalling school but have an interview for Pontrilas this week which is the next box south of Tram Inn. So you never know we may be exchanging Bell codes in the near future!

I think Pontrilas is on a 12hr roster but not sure of Tram Inn unfortunately.

AndyDundee

Evening all,

I've received an email to say my application has been accepted and I am now to complete the online SJT, verbal and numeric tests. Any top tips for each test?

I've started practicing the numeric tests on the SHL site and they're pretty hard! :s

Any help appreciated.

89jordanbj

Evening all,

I've received an email to say my application has been accepted and I am now to complete the online SJT, verbal and numeric tests. Any top tips for each test?

I've started practicing the numeric tests on the SHL site and they're pretty hard! :s

Any help appreciated.
Practice practice practice until you feel comfortable

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Good luck for your interview. I am currently at signalling school but have an interview for Pontrilas this week which is the next box south of Tram Inn. So you never know we may be exchanging Bell codes in the near future!

I think Pontrilas is on a 12hr roster but not sure of Tram Inn unfortunately.
Tram Inn is on 12's too.
The only Box on that line that isn't (generally) is Dorrington.

_Odo_

Evening all,

Any help appreciated.

My top tip for the numerical test is to practice as many of them as you can, with a focus on improving your speed. The time limit on the actual test was, for me, the biggest challenge. I'm pretty good at maths, but the added time pressure means that you don't really have much time to think about each question - you need to be able to scan the information provided, recognize the type of question it is and what it's asking you to do, and then execute the required calculations quickly. Make sure you have plenty of scrap paper for jotting down calculations, and a reliable calculator with actual buttons rather than the calculator app on your phone which will probably go to sleep just when you need it.

For practicing, I bought a pack of questions from here: https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/buy/aptitudetests_numerical_buy.htm - which I thought were pretty good value for money. I did lots of practice work on percentages and ratios, and reading numerical data from tables and graphs. If there was one area I felt a little underprepared for when I did the actual test, it was questions about currency conversions, and I wish I had practiced more of those.

AndyDundee

My top tip for the numerical test is to practice as many of them as you can, with a focus on improving your speed. The time limit on the actual test was, for me, the biggest challenge. I'm pretty good at maths, but the added time pressure means that you don't really have much time to think about each question - you need to be able to scan the information provided, recognize the type of question it is and what it's asking you to do, and then execute the required calculations quickly. Make sure you have plenty of scrap paper for jotting down calculations, and a reliable calculator with actual buttons rather than the calculator app on your phone which will probably go to sleep just when you need it.

For practicing, I bought a pack of questions from here: https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/buy/aptitudetests_numerical_buy.htm - which I thought were pretty good value for money. I did lots of practice work on percentages and ratios, and reading numerical data from tables and graphs. If there was one area I felt a little underprepared for when I did the actual test, it was questions about currency conversions, and I wish I had practiced more of those.

Thanks Odo, much appreciated. I'm finding timing really difficult on the practice tests I've done so fae, not managed to complete one yet! (Only done two, admittedly.)

Did use any formulae to get the complex percentages/ratios? There's some questions where I know how to find the answer but there's a lot of seperate calculations to do before arriving at the result. It makes me wonder if there are formulae I can be using but not sure if I'm over thinking things.

Also, would you suggest skipping questions you don't immediately understand? Such limited time makes me wonder if my chances are better to just answer them all and risk getting some wrong in the process.

I guess you can tie yourself up in knots thinking about it, but I just want to make sure I do the best I'm capable of. Nothing worse than feeling like you could have done better!

Practice practice practice until you feel comfortable
Thanks Jordan, I intend to!

Last edited:

_Odo_

The speed does come with practice - once you've done a particular type of question a few times, you should hopefully begin to recognize them when they come up and you'll know how to tackle it without spending a lot of time thinking about it.

The only formula for percentages I remember using a fair bit in practice, actually more like a shortcut, is when finding a percentage increase. If for example you are told that a value increases by 20%, and you need to calculate the new value, the full step by step way to do it is to find 20% of the original value using 20 / 100 * original value, and then add that result to the original value to get the new value. But a much quicker way is simply to do original value * 1.2. Or if the value increases by 35%, then the new value is original value * 1.35, and so on. That definitely saved me a few seconds. I vaguely remember practicing those kind of questions backwards as well - so you'd be given original and new values and have to calculate the percentage increase or decrease ... but I honestly can't remember if any of those came up in the actual test.

In terms of skipping questions, then I'd personally say yes, if you are getting bogged down on a question and it's just taking too long, or if you really haven't got a clue, then have a guess and move onto the next one rather than wasting valuable time. But keep in mind that you can't return to any questions you've skipped, so it's really a last resort. If you do have a guess, as it's multiple choice, at least consider if there's one or more answers you can rule out, to increase your chances of guessing right. And if you find yourself in the position that you have several questions left to go and your time is almost up, then definitely use the remaining seconds to guess the answers to the remaining questions.

One thing to keep in mind, and from the comments I've read here I think others agree with me, is that the actual test questions are slightly easier than a lot of the practice questions. As I mentioned already, it's not so much the maths that's hard it's the time pressure - but I guess that's what we are being tested on, the ability to work under pressure!

AndyDundee

The speed does come with practice - once you've done a particular type of question a few times, you should hopefully begin to recognize them when they come up and you'll know how to tackle it without spending a lot of time thinking about it.

The only formula for percentages I remember using a fair bit in practice, actually more like a shortcut, is when finding a percentage increase. If for example you are told that a value increases by 20%, and you need to calculate the new value, the full step by step way to do it is to find 20% of the original value using 20 / 100 * original value, and then add that result to the original value to get the new value. But a much quicker way is simply to do original value * 1.2. Or if the value increases by 35%, then the new value is original value * 1.35, and so on. That definitely saved me a few seconds. I vaguely remember practicing those kind of questions backwards as well - so you'd be given original and new values and have to calculate the percentage increase or decrease ... but I honestly can't remember if any of those came up in the actual test.

In terms of skipping questions, then I'd personally say yes, if you are getting bogged down on a question and it's just taking too long, or if you really haven't got a clue, then have a guess and move onto the next one rather than wasting valuable time. But keep in mind that you can't return to any questions you've skipped, so it's really a last resort. If you do have a guess, as it's multiple choice, at least consider if there's one or more answers you can rule out, to increase your chances of guessing right. And if you find yourself in the position that you have several questions left to go and your time is almost up, then definitely use the remaining seconds to guess the answers to the remaining questions.

One thing to keep in mind, and from the comments I've read here I think others agree with me, is that the actual test questions are slightly easier than a lot of the practice questions. As I mentioned already, it's not so much the maths that's hard it's the time pressure - but I guess that's what we are being tested on, the ability to work under pressure!

Okay, that makes sense. I'll keep practicing and hopefully get the hang of it.

Really appreciate your help!

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered before but just to get the most up to date information... I see a lot of talk about 8 or 12 hours shifts, and was just wondering what the general shift patterns are for each of these eventualities? Also, when in the process would I find out which pattern I will be doing, and if my box does night shifts?

nom de guerre

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered before but just to get the most up to date information... I see a lot of talk about 8 or 12 hours shifts, and was just wondering what the general shift patterns are for each of these eventualities? Also, when in the process would I find out which pattern I will be doing, and if my box does night shifts?

The “general shift patterns” have been covered ad nauseam. Search this thread and you will find.

As for ‘when’, the answer is ‘as soon as you ask’. For external candidates, that can be asking here while researching the box they’re applying for; while visiting the box prior to interview, or during the interview itself.

The “general shift patterns” have been covered ad nauseam. Search this thread and you will find.

As for ‘when’, the answer is ‘as soon as you ask’. For external candidates, that can be asking here while researching the box they’re applying for; while visiting the box prior to interview, or during the interview itself.

Thank you for the reply. I did search but the vast majority of questions and answers are specific to a location so understandably this wasn't too useful for me. I have managed to find some more general answers but they weren't from this year, and with the enormous changes going on in the world at the moment I was hoping to find something a little more up to date, but never mind. I'm not willing to put my location on here as I have heard horror stories of people saying things on forums and facing repercussions at work, so I will steer clear of asking outright on here. Also, I have already been offered a position, and at the time of interview the location was unknown so unfortunately I wasn't able to ask. I suppose I meant more just when along the general journey will I find out, but I guess I'll just wait and see for now, but thanks again.

nom de guerre

Sorry, didn’t realise the location was unknown when you were interviewed. Have you asked your LOM for a sample roster?

Sorry, didn’t realise the location was unknown when you were interviewed. Have you asked your LOM for a sample roster?

No worries. I haven't had any communication with anyone other than the recruitment team as of now, but maybe I will just drop it in next time I speak with someone. My start date is a little while away so there's plenty of time, it was more just out of curiosity than anything else.

TLB

Hi everyone,

Recently been offered a role as a signaller (verbal offer and verbally accepted) and have been advised that it could take a few weeks before I hear anything else or get an email from HR to confirm everything and agree dates.

I’m waiting patiently but just wondered if anyone knew how long it will take before I hear anything more (email of conditional offer or booking on medicals etc).
Appreciate any insight that can be given!
Thank you

Bunnymomma

h
Hi everyone,

Recently been offered a role as a signaller (verbal offer and verbally accepted) and have been advised that it could take a few weeks before I hear anything else or get an email from HR to confirm everything and agree dates.

I’m waiting patiently but just wondered if anyone knew how long it will take before I hear anything more (email of conditional offer or booking on medicals etc).
Appreciate any insight that can be given!
Thank you

From my understanding, response times can vary massively, but here's my progress so far;

So I was verbally given an offer on 24th August, a conditional offer received on 15th Sept, 25th Sept call from Optima Health, medical on 8th Oct.

Be patient, it will come :)

Last edited:

TLB

h

From my understanding, response times can vary massively, but here's my progress so far;

So I was verbally given an offer on 24th August, a conditional offer received on 15th Sept, 25th Sept call from Optima Health, medical on 8th Sept.

Be patient, it will come :)

Thank you so much for this time line! Great insight in terms of time line.
Indeed, I’ll continue to wait patiently - Verbal offer was made on September 24th so hopefully it won’t be too much longer now.
Thanks again and congratulations!!

Bunnymomma

Thank you so much for this time line! Great insight in terms of time line.
Indeed, I’ll continue to wait patiently - Verbal offer was made on September 24th so hopefully it won’t be too much longer now.
Thanks again and congratulations!!

You too!!

High Dyke

Established Member
Thank you for the reply. I did search but the vast majority of questions and answers are specific to a location so understandably this wasn't too useful for me. I have managed to find some more general answers but they weren't from this year, and with the enormous changes going on in the world at the moment I was hoping to find something a little more up to date, but never mind. I'm not willing to put my location on here as I have heard horror stories of people saying things on forums and facing repercussions at work, so I will steer clear of asking outright on here. Also, I have already been offered a position, and at the time of interview the location was unknown so unfortunately I wasn't able to ask. I suppose I meant more just when along the general journey will I find out, but I guess I'll just wait and see for now, but thanks again.
Just to add to the confusion, not all locations are a straight 8 or 12 hour roster. I'm a relief, so it's a bit more varied for me; however my current base hours are 8'47". I cover boxes that vary from that time right down to 7'48" (other shift hours may vary). In answer to your question about finding out, as you've been offered a position already then you'll probably find out when your first day is - though you could always contact the particular location to enquire.

Just to add to the confusion, not all locations are a straight 8 or 12 hour roster. I'm a relief, so it's a bit more varied for me; however my current base hours are 8'47". I cover boxes that vary from that time right down to 7'48" (other shift hours may vary). In answer to your question about finding out, as you've been offered a position already then you'll probably find out when your first day is - though you could always contact the particular location to enquire.
Thank you for your reply. Yeah that's definitely a bit more confusing. I've seen it can vary quite a lot depending on if/when there are night shifts as well. I suppose having accepted there's not a whole lot I can do about it haha, just trying to prepare myself.