• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

headshot119

Established Member
A relief crossing keeper role has come up for the Preston area, the advert is a bit vague, can anyone shed some light on where this position would be based? Is there many crossing only roles in the area?

If it's IRC2191322 then it just covers the CCTV Crossing Desk in Preston PSB no other locations. It's 4% FP so it's a single location relief position. You'll know what days you are working and not, but you won't know the exact shifts till the Thursday before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
If it's IRC2191322 then it just covers the CCTV Crossing Desk in Preston PSB no other locations. It's 4% FP so it's a single location relief position. You'll know what days you are working and not, but you won't know the exact shifts till the Thursday before.

As Mr Headshot says, get ready to work pretty much permeant nights and Saturday !

If you can grab the job with both hands, it’s a fantastic stepping stone to a full signaller position. At my location it’s an unofficial line of promotion, if you can stick the boredom of the crossing you’ll be rewarded with a signaller job in due course.

Rsteele1987

Good morning, I recently got to the interview stage for 2 x relief signaller positions in Scotland, I conducted the interview and thought it went fine, however 2 weeks later I got an unsuccessful email regarding this position. Today on my NWR portal it states application reassigned to new vacancy for this post. I presume I am still unsuccessful, just wondering if anybody can shed any light on this?

many thanks

danners430

Good morning, I recently got to the interview stage for 2 x relief signaller positions in Scotland, I conducted the interview and thought it went fine, however 2 weeks later I got an unsuccessful email regarding this position. Today on my NWR portal it states application reassigned to new vacancy for this post. I presume I am still unsuccessful, just wondering if anybody can shed any light on this?

many thanks
It usually means you've been reassigned to another vacancy which has become available, and are being considered for this (should you accept). Going by what you said, I'm guessing it was Inverness you applied for - there have just been two resident positions advertised, so it could be you're being considered for that.

Rockhopper

Sounds like they might be considering you for another position there or possibly you are a reserve candidate. Having said that I would't have too much confidence in portal status updates - so try ringing HR.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’ve noticed a grade 9 TMS Signaller at TVSC any ideas what that difference is?

The advert states early and late shifts, not the usual 24/7 over.

cpn

I’ve noticed a grade 9 TMS Signaller at TVSC any ideas what that difference is?

The advert states early and late shifts, not the usual 24/7 over.
I'm not at TVSC, but according to a friend of mine it's "traffic management", re-programming the ARS schedules on the fly (to divert trains, re-platform, avoid live failures, etc). They're not signaller roles but are paid according to the same signaller grades as the workstations they cover.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I'm not at TVSC, but according to a friend of mine it's "traffic management", re-programming the ARS schedules on the fly (to divert trains, re-platform, avoid live failures, etc). They're not signaller roles but are paid according to the same signaller grades as the workstations they cover.
Ah right, not worth losing my competence for I don’t think.

Thanks though.

Rsteele1987

Just got the news this afternoon that I got offered a signallers role in Scotland!!
Thank you to everyone that has helped me with advice and info on the process along the way and I can honestly that this forum is worth it’s weight in gold when applying for a role, even though it’s a lengthy task going through every page all the content has definitely helped.

Thank you

High Dyke

Established Member
Just got the news this afternoon that I got offered a signallers role in Scotland!!
Thank you to everyone that has helped me with advice and info on the process along the way and I can honestly that this forum is worth it’s weight in gold when applying for a role, even though it’s a lengthy task going through every page all the content has definitely helped.

Thank you
Well done.

Cityhedgehog

I finally got all my pre employment checks sorted and had my medical Monday. Just awaiting a start date now. Apparently my training starts in February in Walsall. Has anyone else been to or is scheduled to start there?

MylesHSG

I finally got all my pre employment checks sorted and had my medical Monday. Just awaiting a start date now. Apparently my training starts in February in Walsall. Has anyone else been to or is scheduled to start there?

Heard good things about one of the trainers at Walsall.

RedMum77

I have been offered the opportunity to do a Track Works Course leading to a City and Guilds Diploma Level 2 Railway Engineering TRack Maintenance via UNiversal Credit (currently self employed running a pub so say no more about how much free time I have right now and why I've had to claim UC o_O).

I'm still sat on a reserve list after interview not long back for Future Opps and have been told I'm being fast tracked to interview for next local vacancy, is it worth doing this course? What I mean I guess is would it be looked upon favourably or frowned upon? It includes H and S awareness, Fire and 1st Aid awareness, PTS, Track INduction course along with other stuff inc Plant competency etc. My reckoning is that it would give me an insight from the other side i.e. trackside, but wouldn't want it to be frowned upon if included on any application. Any advice?

BigRob21

I'm there now. Place is great and trainer is fantastic. Its a very intense course but stick with it and things will fall into place. One thing I will say, and I'm not saying that you are, but don't be under the illusion that its an easy ride! congrats on getting the offer though mate :)

Defenestrate

I have been offered the opportunity to do a Track Works Course leading to a City and Guilds Diploma Level 2 Railway Engineering TRack Maintenance via UNiversal Credit (currently self employed running a pub so say no more about how much free time I have right now and why I've had to claim UC o_O).

I'm still sat on a reserve list after interview not long back for Future Opps and have been told I'm being fast tracked to interview for next local vacancy, is it worth doing this course? What I mean I guess is would it be looked upon favourably or frowned upon? It includes H and S awareness, Fire and 1st Aid awareness, PTS, Track INduction course along with other stuff inc Plant competency etc. My reckoning is that it would give me an insight from the other side i.e. trackside, but wouldn't want it to be frowned upon if included on any application. Any advice?

Just my opinion:
Doing some learning or a course to better yourself shouldn't be looked on negatively. You might learn a few things that are useful, but as said many times before, signal school is where you learn the important stuff for the job.
If i was in your position i would consider: How long would the Diploma last and would you quit it if you were offered a signalling job (a conscientious mind might consider if yes, would someone else benefit more from such an opportunity instead?); would you use the Diploma other than to assist in the signalling applications? Would you do the diploma if your pub is able to reopen soon?
Bearing in mind what i've just said, it feels pretty rare to get something back from all the tax you pay!
Ultimately, you are the best person to decide if it is doable.

RedMum77

Thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of experiencing from the other side of signalling. The course is a few weeks i think, waiting on a call back, covering basics as a springboard so it's not a lengthy course that I would have to quit if offered a job in the near future.

I am always open to learning new things, in fact I've just embarked in a PT engineering degree as for various reasons I didnt get to do a degree when I was younger so I want to do it for myself if that makes sense, so this course
Just my opinion:
Doing some learning or a course to better yourself shouldn't be looked on negatively. You might learn a few things that are useful, but as said many times before, signal school is where you learn the important stuff for the job.
If i was in your position i would consider: How long would the Diploma last and would you quit it if you were offered a signalling job (a conscientious mind might consider if yes, would someone else benefit more from such an opportunity instead?); would you use the Diploma other than to assist in the signalling applications? Would you do the diploma if your pub is able to reopen soon?
Bearing in mind what i've just said, it feels pretty rare to get something back from all the tax you pay!
Ultimately, you are the best person to decide if it is doable.

would appeal to my curious nature anyway.

The pub is a no go going forward, I actually gave notice a year ago on the lease but covid has kinda buggered the exit strategy up and its looking likely they will hold me to the end of the lease in March unless they find another tenant, or I walk before then (they hold a substantial deposit to cover lost rent).

Rockhopper

Id be wary of some of these course you can find - make sure that whatever they are offering is actually useful and not just a way of them making money. An example is a place near me offering lengthy courses in becoming a warehouse operative....

Why pub did/do you run? I'm not far from Alfreton (Shirebrook but ex Pinxton)

RedMum77

Id be wary of some of these course you can find - make sure that whatever they are offering is actually useful and not just a way of them making money. An example is a place near me offering lengthy courses in becoming a warehouse operative....

Why pub did/do you run? I'm not far from Alfreton (Shirebrook but ex Pinxton)

This one is affiliated to NR apparently and I was given the details by UC. Really new to UC also and I know you have to do a certain amount of work search/training etc or they stop your entitlement, so that's at the back of my mind also, though they still have me down as no commitments atm as still self employed. Provider is called TRackwork if anyone knows them? Dev at Somercotes, just outside Alfreton.

Jomesy214eva

Hi everyone so after my verbal offer in October for Greenford SB, I did a gentle nudge with HR for my formal offer and I’ve had a busy couple of weeks doing the background checks and medical, but I’m pleased to say I’ve passed and been offered a start date of mid December with signal school to start early January in Newport! So happy and feeling so lucky to be in this position good luck to anyone still going through but I can’t wait for the hard work to begin

danners430

Hi everyone so after my verbal offer in October for Greenford SB, I did a gentle nudge with HR for my formal offer and I’ve had a busy couple of weeks doing the background checks and medical, but I’m pleased to say I’ve passed and been offered a start date of mid December with signal school to start early January in Newport! So happy and feeling so lucky to be in this position good luck to anyone still going through but I can’t wait for the hard work to begin
Congratulations!!! Let the real work begin!

adobbo84

Well done! so if you are only work as a
Finally been passed fit for a position at WMSC after 2 medicals- to say I am chuffed is an understatement!

I have seen it mentioned in passing on here a couple of times, but let me reitterate- if you are diabetic, you absolutely can apply (and be appointed) to the signalling grade. However it is worth noting that you will only be passed fit to work accompanied, i.e. you can work in a multi-manned location, but not a single-manned signal box.

I speak from experience on this, I am type 1 (insulin dependent) and was offered a job at Eggington Junction SB (Near Derby) back in 2015 but was then rejected at the medical due to the need for lone-working. As I say, I have now been passed fit for the multi-manned WMSC.

To those of you who get disheartened when another rejection email arrives- never give up. It took me 5 years, several rejections, 3 interviews, 3 medicals and 1 withdrawn offer to get in.

Now the hard work begins!
Congratulations! I am type 1 diabetic myself and have applied for various roles, so can you only become an insulin independent signaller if it is NOT single manned?

Cityhedgehog

I'm there now. Place is great and trainer is fantastic. Its a very intense course but stick with it and things will fall into place. One thing I will say, and I'm not saying that you are, but don't be under the illusion that its an easy ride! congrats on getting the offer though mate :)
Oh my gosh definitely not! In fact I'm a little nervous about it. Definitely getting ready mentally for a crazy couple of months. Are you in a hotel or is accommodation based at the school?

BigRob21

Oh my gosh definitely not! In fact I'm a little nervous about it. Definitely getting ready mentally for a crazy couple of months. Are you in a hotel or is accommodation based at the school?
Everyone on my course, including myself are within a commutable distance so no hotels are required. I could be wrong, but I'm sure your LOM will be able to give you more info on this though. One thing I can say though, is remember that everyone on your course is in the same boat so hopefully that will help with your nerves. The centre is brilliant and very accommodating. As a team, you and the others on your course will grow together and your trainer will support you every step of the way. It is hard, but at the same time a fantastic experience :)

MylesHSG

Thank you! If anyone on here is in the Greenford box or even the area, send me a message, I’d like to get in touch before starting. Also anyone wanting help can get in touch and I’ll give what I can

First signal box I applied to before I got my current job. One of only 5 lever frames left in London. I speak to the locking fitters when they visit and they always say it's in good knick over there.

Toots

Just as a matter of interest ,has your trainer mentioned 'Protection zones' Rob?