• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

baz962

Established Member
Grade three signaller at peterborough just gone up on network rail today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JMH77

Grade three signaller at peterborough just gone up on network rail today.

I've just seen this. With no experience in the rail industry and having only just begun considering a career as a signaller I wonder if it might be too soon to apply and if I should gather a bit more knowledge before seriously considering it as an occupation.
If anyone has any further information about this specific box, shift rotas etc they could share that would be great.
Also any further information on the training process would be great. Once I'm away from work I will have a more thorough read through this thread as I am sure there is plenty of information on here.
I felt a buzz of excitement when I saw such a local position advertised though so that must be a positive sign...

Many thanks for any responses

Joe

baz962

Established Member
I've just seen this. With no experience in the rail industry and having only just begun considering a career as a signaller I wonder if it might be too soon to apply and if I should gather a bit more knowledge before seriously considering it as an occupation.
If anyone has any further information about this specific box, shift rotas etc they could share that would be great.
Also any further information on the training process would be great. Once I'm away from work I will have a more thorough read through this thread as I am sure there is plenty of information on here.
I felt a buzz of excitement when I saw such a local position advertised though so that must be a positive sign...

Many thanks for any responses

Joe

I have no idea about the box or rota etc and am sure other's on here will help, but having been on this forum a while I have learned that many signaller's had no experience of the railway. Just apply Joe you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

JMH77

I have no idea about the box or rota etc and am sure other's on here will help, but having been on this forum a while I have learned that many signaller's had no experience of the railway. Just apply Joe you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Best decision I ever made, becoming a signaller...you definitely will not regret it!

Well I went to apply yesterday evening but my laptop was having none of it. Came in to work early this morning to do it and the position had been removed. I was so disappointed but after looking again this afternoon it had re-appeared. Quickly submitting the application at work was stressful enough never mind what any further processes would be like!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Still no news for me!

Status Status Change Date
Application Under Review
12-Oct-2017 21:59:43
Application Accepted 13-Oct-2017 07:13:40
Application Under Consideration 13-Oct-2017 09:01:07
Invited to Test 13-Oct-2017 09:35:20
Test Completed 14-Oct-2017 16:44:12
Test Completed 16-Oct-2017 06:01:21
Application Under Consideration 31-Oct-2017 12:16:00

Sinistah

I wish I could say that. I should have applied ages ago instead of waiting until I was at the end of my tether in my current role

baz962

Established Member
My Cambridge grade 7 application has turned to unsuccessful with 2 vacancies remaining on the site, they didn't e mail me tho lol.

Teddyward

I’ve put in an application for three bridges. Hope my previous police control room experiences are good examples for the submission. Took a while to do though, the website kept timing out and it doesn’t save your progress.

Saracen_83

Hi all,

Silly question maybe,

if you are on a 12 hour shift rota, do you work the same days? I’m presuming it 3 days on 3 off with Sunday’s optional, however does that mean you get the same days each week? Or would these change? Looking to apply for three bridges if that helps in anyway?!

Sunset route

Hi all,

Silly question maybe,

if you are on a 12 hour shift rota, do you work the same days? I’m presuming it 3 days on 3 off with Sunday’s optional, however does that mean you get the same days each week? Or would these change? Looking to apply for three bridges if that helps in anyway?!

All rostered Sunday’s must ne shown on the base roster, so sundays are not optional. But are basically compulsory overtime that you have to apply to get off like any other day. So as Sunday’s are shown in your base roster you will be working a mix of 3X12 and 4X12 hours shifts and depending where the Sunday has been added to the roster will be how you rotate to work all days of the week. Also be aware that not all rosters are the same, the 12hr rosters at TBASC and TBROC are very different beasts also likewise the 8hr rosters at TBASC, TBROC and small one person locations are vastly different.

Saracen_83

Completely understand, it the TBROC that currently has a post advertised so was just curious how they worked it and how Sundays were added to Rota along with all working days of the week!!!!

PrinceBishop

One of my applications has changed from 'Application Under Consideration' to 'Application Under Consideration for Assessment 2'. I understand that this means that the application has been passed to the local Hiring Manager for consideration.

Does this basically mean I've met the required benchmark for interview? Also, do the Hiring Managers get a lot of applications handed to them for consideration? I suppose I'm just trying to find out if I have a good chance of getting an interview.

EvieG2017

I'm certainly interested in this career too, I've always been fascinated by how signalling is organized and has an impact on the efficiency of rail transport since I was young. The issue is I have now gained a degree in a totally unrelated discipline, which I fear may impact my ability to find work as a signaller. I know the process of becoming a signaller isn't easy and requires a lot of in depth training, after all people's lives are in your hands essentially.

I'm also curious about salary expectations, I know that this is a well paid job but I'm interested to hear from those already working in these roles. I've done a bit of research around this and found that the starting salary is £27,000 or http://www.income-tax.co.uk/calculator/27000 or £1854 every month after tax. This has the potential to rise to £47,000 before tax.

Can someone give me an insight on these figures? What can I expect if I have no prior experience?

Dave Tasty

There are more qualified people on here to explain how the salary structure works above basic pay, but if you check out page 37 of this thread Tom Quinne has posted the base salaries and grades for 2018.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I heard my name called

You can expect to earn between £5000 & £10,000 on top of your stated basic pay in normal booked work like nights and Sundays (both have premium attached).

Add to this bank holidays you’ll be booked to work that’ll soon add up to.

Some blokes are smashing the overtime, and earn a lot of money but personally I prefer a life - you’ll find the happiest blokes are the ones who do the least amount of overtime !

What do you spend the mega bucks on ?

A bloody good brief if you kill someone, that is the reality you can kill people if you make a mistake.

Other than that is a awesome job and I wish I’d moved over years ago !

so if you didn’t want to work a booked Sunday you’d have to use an annual leave day for that? can you not make arrangements with a colleague who is off to cover your Sunday for you?

Sunset route

so if you didn’t want to work a booked Sunday you’d have to use an annual leave day for that? can you not make arrangements with a colleague who is off to cover your Sunday for you?

No annual Leave is used for your working week, which is Monday to Saturday, Sunday’s are outside the working week (as they are overtime) but you will be rostered to work any Sunday that is shown on your base roster, so you will still have to request them off if you wish not to work them. If there is no cover then you will have to work them.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
As my honourable colleague says you’ll neeed to self cover any Sundays you didn’t want to work, but finding cover is very easy especially at a larger multi manned location.

JMH77

Still no news for me!

Status Status Change Date
Application Under Review
12-Oct-2017 21:59:43
Application Accepted 13-Oct-2017 07:13:40
Application Under Consideration 13-Oct-2017 09:01:07
Invited to Test 13-Oct-2017 09:35:20
Test Completed 14-Oct-2017 16:44:12
Test Completed 16-Oct-2017 06:01:21
Application Under Consideration 31-Oct-2017 12:16:00

Hi,

I'm quite new to all this but as of yesterday my application is showing "Invited to test"
is this the verbal communication test done over the phone? Your application shows test completed the following day but I haven't heard anything further so far.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hi,

I'm quite new to all this but as of yesterday my application is showing "Invited to test"
is this the verbal communication test done over the phone? Your application shows test completed the following day but I haven't heard anything further so far.
I haven't done anything over the phone, yes the online SJT :)

JMH77

I haven't done anything over the phone, yes the online SJT :)

Oh crap just seen the attachments. Is this quite straightforward? I only ask as I would like to get it done today at work as I don't trust my laptop at home not to mess up.