A career as a signaller

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by gradient, 16 May 2016.

1. Lasbrisas

Lasbrisas Member

Really, I would have thought Basingstoke would have been the sensible option. I hope that's where they send me as I will be based in Surrey but I haven't had any details yet.

2. Sinistah

Sinistah Member

Labrisas, how did you find the interview. Was it really intense? Is it a mixture of dmi and mmi for drivers?

Last edited: 6 Aug 2017
  3. Lasbrisas

Lasbrisas Member

A lot easier than I thought it would be, based around the 8 non technical skills that you can find on here. No trick questions, it was stuff like examples of working alone for long periods, how do you deal with emergencies etc. I was actually invited to 3 different one's. I cancelled the others as I was offered the job the day after my interview so there was no point in doing the others as they were the same grade and further from home. I don't want to specify where I will be based at this time but I am a happy bunny !

4. Sinistah

Sinistah Member

Well done again and thanks for the quick reply. What grade are you?

5. Lasbrisas

Lasbrisas Member

Thanks, I don't want to tempt fate and go into too many details atm as I haven't had my medical yet and grade will probably give the location away The funny thing is things seem to come up all at once and I have possibly been given another opportunity to think about.

6. godfreycomplex

godfreycomplex Member

Basingstoke is much smaller in terms of number of trainers e.t.c. so run considerably fewer courses than York.
    I'm also based in Surrey and going up to York every week really isn't as bad as it seems :)
    Enquiries were on-going into setting up a signalling school in Bristol but I'm not sure how far that got. A couple of folk from Cornwall were on my course; and it was hard pounding for them schlepping up every week; but I suppose living around there people must get used to long journeys
    Hope the first day went well for all new starters :)

Last edited: 7 Aug 2017
  7. Lasbrisas

Lasbrisas Member

Ok thanks for the heads up ! Was there any choice in the matter as I was rather hoping to commute rather than staying there as I am only 20 miles from Basingstoke.

8. godfreycomplex

godfreycomplex Member

Not particularly; you'll go wherever there's a course available unfortunately
    Having said that; even if you are in Basingstoke I would strongly encourage you to take the hotel; purely for the fact that you and the other people on the course will be able to support each other face-to-face with any topics that you may find difficult during the evenings. A whatsapp group or similar is no substitute to face-to-face in this case I'm afraid.

9. BRblue

BRblue Member

This 100%

10. Lasbrisas

Lasbrisas Member

Ok thanks for the advice.

11. linnet_ranger

linnet_ranger Member

Hi all,

Been lurking for a week or two and found this thread to be of particular interest. I've just applied for the Grade 5 Signaller post at Bognor Regis.

So far, passed my online tests and now at "Test Completed". Fingers crossed this changes to something more positive in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for all your useful info on here.

12. Sinistah

Sinistah Member

Mine has been sitting at application under consideration after test completed since late July. Is that a good sign or does it actually have to say application under consideration for assessment 2 to be positive?

13. Cavan

Cavan Member

Does a grade 6 lone manned nx panel have a high workload? Thinking specifically of arundel panel.

14. Sunset route

Sunset route Member

I would say yes looking at the level of train service, junction working and the CCTV crossings.

15. linnet_ranger

linnet_ranger Member

I live very near to Arundel Junction and it has a lot of movement. It connects the Littlehampton branch line and the Arun Valley line to the South Coast line. It's pretty busy.
    There is a Grade 6 relief vacancy for Arundel currently being advertised.

Am fascinated that the Bognor section is still so mechanical. Makes it all the more appealing. :D

16. Cavan

Cavan Member

Is a grade 5 lever frame more challenging than a grade 6 nx panel?

17. signallerscot

signallerscot Member

How long is a piece of string? And are apples the same as oranges?

18. linnet_ranger

linnet_ranger Member

I read on another website last night that the Bognor box is scheduled to close in 2018 and for control to transfer to Three Bridges. Can anyone confirm if this is still the intention?

To be fair, same website said that Arundel was scheduled to close in 2016 but clearly it hasn't.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2017
  19. Sunset route

Sunset route Member

The migration plan is well behind schedule and is subject to change as to what is going to move and when. There only current rumours regarding Bognor is that there might be a Sub ROC at Barnham, next weeks rumour is likely altogether very different. :D

Last edited: 13 Aug 2017
  20. linnet_ranger

linnet_ranger Member

Thanks Sunset. Appreciate your input. If I am lucky enough to get to interview I will certainly ask about the long term viability of the box. It's still something I am really keen to pursue.