• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rubble

Can anybody tell me if you are allowed to leave your rulebooks at the training center or is this something you must bring with you everyday? I’ll be going to York for IST.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ArkUTD

It usually lists the Flexibility Premium in the job description - as a general rule, 4-8% FP means you'll be in a single location, just covering multiple workstations, and anything above that you'll be working multiple locations.
ok so it will be one location, but thats ok.

Thank you for your advice!

Sarabing

Can anybody tell me if you are allowed to leave your rulebooks at the training center or is this something you must bring with you everyday? I’ll be going to York for IST.
You could but I needed mine every night back in the hotel for study. Most of us took the rule books we needed back each night but you may find you need to cross reference a rule book you left behind.

Rubble

You could but I needed mine every night back in the hotel for study. Most of us took the rule books we needed back each night but you may find you need to cross reference a rule book you left behind.
Thanks Sarabing. What about over the weekend. Did you take it home with you? It is so heavy and im travelling a fair distance so im just wondering if it will be feasible.

Thanks Sarabing. What about over the weekend. Did you take it home with you? It is so heavy and im travelling a fair distance so im just wondering if it will be feasible.

We were able to leave ours in our classroom as it wasn't going to be used by anyone else and so just took what individual modules we needed (if any) home at the weekend.

nom de guerre

A relief signaller is a fully qualified signaller, but instead of being "resident" on a panel / in a box, you are passed out for multiple panels/boxes, and are rostered to cover otherwise vacant shifts that the resident staff can't cover. This includes when signallers are on rest days, on holiday or off sick. If you're in a multi-manned location, like an IECC or ROC then you often also cover for PNBs (Personal Needs Breaks), or allow signallers to have breaks.

Relief signallers get a flexibility premium on top of their basic salary (grade salary + FP percentage) - that's because you usually don't know what shifts you're working until the week before, and in the case of single-manned boxes usually have to travel longer distances between boxes. (multi-manned locations the FP is usually lower)

There are also a small number of RDR (Rest Day Reliefs) covering a single, single-manned location. Same principle as mentioned in Danners' first para (minus the PNB/meal break cover, obviously). My current gig...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
This sounds right up my ally, keeping me busy and always up for new challenges, but im sure it would be hard to give this job to someone off the street.

The role is at Rugby Rail Op's Center, i take it will be like the multi-manned location you spoke of.

Rugby ROC will only be 4% FP, you’ll sign all the work stations in your link - so maybe as many as four workstations.

I think it’s a grade 7 isn’t it with 4% FP, ive recently come off the same job (not at Rugby however) after 14 months as a relief. I was lucky our roster was a very good one, but the not knowing what your working until the Thursday lunch time does wear thin, especially when your trying to plan AL or CL dog example your booked to work day Wednesday and Thursday and you want AL on Thursday, you then get booked Nights Wednesday to totally messing up your plans for Thursday.

Yes, that’s the life of a relief - however for 4% it’s really not worth it.

You’ll not get any Sundays so potentially you could be on bare base salary, very unlikely but possible.

My advice, get on the relief sign your link then put your letter in for the next resident job that’ll increase your base salary by circa £10k with booked Sundays and night work on top of your basic hours, you’ll also be able to plan your off time better.

Rugby has or at least had two signalling locations - the SCC (Signalling Control Centre) which takes in Watford to Stafford, and the ROC which has only a handful of workstations.

Best of luck.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

I was at York, we stowed our gear in a cupboard overnight and at weekends.

ChrisRS

Leave in your classroom just take the modules you need.

Or sign up to the RSSB website and download the rule book PDFs to use on your laptop or smart device.

HamSandwich

I've just finished at York today - I left mine on the chair under my desk, and only took the individual modules I needed with me. You can also access the books online if you're desperate for one you've forgotten to bring with you. Best of luck with yours course, it's intensive but you'll be so proud of yourself at the end of it. :)

Does anyone know the best way to get from the Village Hotel to the Westwood training centre? I've got my TCB conversion course there soon.

Kraken

I've just finished at York today - I left mine on the chair under my desk, and only took the individual modules I needed with me. You can also access the books online if you're desperate for one you've forgotten to bring with you. Best of luck with yours course, it's intensive but you'll be so proud of yourself at the end of it. :)

Does anyone know the best way to get from the Village Hotel to the Westwood training centre? I've got my TCB conversion course there soon.
Congrats on finishing HamSandwich, that must be a cracking feeling like you say. Did you all make it?

We’ve got our week 6 written assessment on Thursday so currently frantically trying to force some information into my leaky head. This course is no joke!

HamSandwich

Congrats on finishing HamSandwich, that must be a cracking feeling like you say. Did you all make it?

We’ve got our week 6 written assessment on Thursday so currently frantically trying to force some information into my leaky head. This course is no joke!

Thank you Kraken :) It really is. So far in my class all that have gone in for the final assessment have passed. Best of luck for the exam - it's a tough old course isn't it! I've heard some of the WDSs say that the infomation could easily be taught over six months rather than crammed into (essentially) ten weeks...

Rubble

Congratulations on completing the course. Any insights/tips to share specific to York? Anything you would do different to prepare in hindsight?

Also thanks for the heads up everyone else.

ddkknntt

Rugby ROC will only be 4% FP, you’ll sign all the work stations in your link - so maybe as many as four workstations.

I think it’s a grade 7 isn’t it with 4% FP, ive recently come off the same job (not at Rugby however) after 14 months as a relief. I was lucky our roster was a very good one, but the not knowing what your working until the Thursday lunch time does wear thin, especially when your trying to plan AL or CL dog example your booked to work day Wednesday and Thursday and you want AL on Thursday, you then get booked Nights Wednesday to totally messing up your plans for Thursday.

You’ll not get any Sundays so potentially you could be on bare base salary, very unlikely but possible.

My advice, get on the relief sign your link then put your letter in for the next resident job that’ll increase your base salary by circa £10k with booked Sundays and night work on top of your basic hours, you’ll also be able to plan your off time better.

Rugby has or at least had two signalling locations - the SCC (Signalling Control Centre) which takes in Watford to Stafford, and the ROC which has only a handful of workstations.

Best of luck.
A grand total of 1 workstation, Stafford

ArkUTD

Best of luck.
To be honest i don't mind not knowing what ill do a week in advance, As i'm a workaholic and down for anything that comes my way. If it helps me get my shoe in then ill be very happy. Even at bare base Salary ill be going a lot better than what i'm already earning, but its not the money for me, its the experience and getting to grips with something im sure ill enjoy.

But thank you for your advice, i'll definitely keep everyone posted on it.

HamSandwich

Congratulations on completing the course. Any insights/tips to share specific to York? Anything you would do different to prepare in hindsight?

You won't get to see a lot of York and obviously everything is shut right now, but it's a lot quieter in the evening for a walk and some fresh air when your head feels like it's going to explode (especially when all you've done is training, sim practise, homework, hotel, repeat). I took my laptop and used that in the evenings for admin like applying for jobs, e-learning, which I don't like doing on my phone (as well as watching Netflix:) ).

Make sure you keep up with your notes and homework sheets, I have really messy handwriting and used to take almost illegible notes in lessons, then copy them up neatly in the evening to help it stick in my head a bit more. I missed two days of writing up just before Christmas and it took me ages to catch up writing four days of notes o_O.

Oooh, specific to York, when the restaurant re-opens, ask if you can pre-order your evening meal, it saves a lot of time waiting around when all you want to do is eat and get back to your homework or sim practice.

It's such a great experience and if you put the work in, you can pass it. Best of luck, if you want to ask me anything feel free to PM me :)

Kraken

I would echo everything HamSandwich said, particularly with respect to keeping on top of your notes and quizzes. That’s definitely a lesson I have learned the hard way so far when trying to catch up!!

In terms of preparation I wouldn’t necessarily do anything. If you can spend some time in a signal box beforehand that will be interesting but mostly I would concentrate on spending quality time with loved ones if you can before you bugger off for 3 months and have to work even when you are home on occasion. Focus on going into the course fresh and ready to go rather than learning anything specific. You’ll be learning and cramming more than enough when you get here!

Owen2323

I live in the North East of England - between Newcastle and Durham. Are there any local places for to me to work as a signaller?
I see Tweedmouth mentioned from time to time but that's too far away unfortunately.........

Stodge

I live in the North East of England - between Newcastle and Durham. Are there any local places for to me to work as a signaller?
I see Tweedmouth mentioned from time to time but that's too far away unfortunately.........
Depending on exactly where you are. The closest locations will be Tyneside IECC in Gateshead, one of the signal boxes between Newcastle - Carlisle, one of the signal boxes on the Blyth & Tyne line, signal boxes around Middlesbrough. The Durham coast boxes are closing this year which may have been an option in the past. York Roc if that's not too far, or Morpeth on the EC main line (guessing Alnmouth is too far?)

Trackboy

Are incident controller pay conditions same as signaller? Related to sunday and night shift allowance. And do we know if they are on 35hrs aswell.

High Dyke

Established Member
Hey, does anyone know much about Lincoln SB? Is it 8hr or 12hr please?
Hi, I guess you mean the Lincoln signalling centre (or old folks home, as it's known)? They work a 12 hour roster (0700 - 1900 - 0700). It has four (computer gaming signalling) workstations, which cover the route between Gainsborough and Werrington Junction via Sleaford and Spalding, also fringe to Langworth on the Market Rasen line and Swinderby on the route to Newark.

nom de guerre

Are incident controller pay conditions same as signaller? Related to sunday and night shift allowance. And do we know if they are on 35hrs aswell.

Pay? No. Controllers earn a higher basic.
There were some TBROC and BROC(?) jobs on the internal list last year at c£63K basic. The highest signalling grade earns £50K basic. Not sure if controllers' Sundays are also 'outside' though (which might make a sizeable difference). That may depend on whether you're a NR or TOC/FOC controller.

Conditions? Most NR controller rosters tend to be 8hr weekdays and 12hr weekends. Not sure on the rest, I'm afraid.

(computer gaming signalling) workstations

Lol - why do lever frame jockeys always seem to feel the need to disparage VDU set ups?

Last edited:

Trackboy

Pay? No. Controllers earn a higher basic.
There were some TBROC and BROC(?) jobs on the internal list last year at c£63K basic. The highest signalling grade earns £50K basic. Not sure if controllers' Sundays are also 'outside' though (which might make a sizeable difference). That may depend on whether you're a NR or TOC/FOC controller.

Conditions? Most NR controller rosters tend to be 8hr weekdays and 12hr weekends. Not sure on the rest, I'm afraid.

Lol - why do lever frame jockeys always seem to feel the need to disparage VDU set ups?
Thanks mate. I am looking at the one currently on internal list for Incident support controller at London Puddle Dock

Amy1090

Hi, I guess you mean the Lincoln signalling centre (or old folks home, as it's known)? They work a 12 hour roster (0700 - 1900 - 0700). It has four (computer gaming signalling) workstations, which cover the route between Gainsborough and Werrington Junction via Sleaford and Spalding, also fringe to Langworth on the Market Rasen line and Swinderby on the route to Newark.
Thank you very much!

Scooby123

Hi, I’m going to Derby for IST and was wondering at IST has anyone revised and studied on their own on an evening rather than in a group? Has this impacted passing or anything?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

IC have three bands 1,2 & 3 lowest to highest salary i believe, I think generally their on the same terms as us. Working week will depend on location, I think our lot work 8 & 12s.