• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Rsteele1987

Hi hope everyone is well, starting Signalling school at the beginning of March in Shettleston, Glasgow. Wondering if anyone knows what the hotel arrangements are for during the training there?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kraken

Hi hope everyone is well, starting Signalling school at the beginning of March in Shettleston, Glasgow. Wondering if anyone knows what the hotel arrangements are for during the training there?

Thanks
Best off speaking to your LOM on that front. I’m sure they will be familiar with the hotel arrangements or will be able to speak to the person that sorts them. If you don’t need to know know then they will be in your IST joining instructions.

NoEyeDeer

Thanks
Here now, hotel will likely be the holiday inn glasgow theatreland. 5 min walk to queen street in morning then train to Shettleston

Ziggie1823

Thanks
Hopefully joining you there Rsteele. I've got my start date of 26th Feb, just awaiting confirmation where I'm going for training.

Scotsoup

Just had my email to say I my application is being considered since completing the online tests. Now to stop myself checking the status every day!

Scotsoup

It was indeed! Although reading the letter they didn’t actually say I’d passed the tests which is a bit concerning! Just that my application was being considered. Have you applied for it too?

Gs1

Hi all,
After applying for a grade 9 position I've been invited to complete interactive psychometric tests.
Deductive reasoning
Inductive reasoning
Numerical reasoning
Can anyone help give an insight to what these tests consist of.
I have completed the original shl tests previously and passed. These however are different. Anyone have any information will be appreciated. Not sure if they are multiple choice either.

danners430

It was indeed! Although reading the letter they didn’t actually say I’d passed the tests which is a bit concerning! Just that my application was being considered. Have you applied for it too?
That's normal - remember that everyone who was offered the tests has up to five days to complete them, and HR won't, for obvious reasons, start sifting applications until everyone has completed their tests and they've received all the results. So it'll take at least 5-6 days from the closing date of the vacancy before HR will even start deciding who gets an interview. As with everything, patience is a virtue - I had an application that was sat at "under consideration" for over 9 months before it was eventually withdrawn (the vacancy was withdrawn, not the application)

I'm sure we'll hear back about Barrhead in due course, as with any other vacancy

Defenestrate

Hi all,
After applying for a grade 9 position I've been invited to complete interactive psychometric tests.
Deductive reasoning
Inductive reasoning
Numerical reasoning
I have completed the original shl tests previously and passed. These however are different. Anyone have any information will be appreciated. Not sure if they are multiple choice either.

From what you've said, I presume that you have completed the original tests within 12 months? If not, then these may be similar?

If they follow the same format as the SHL tests then there should be example questions to guide you on what to expect.

I believe that (this?) a recent TVSC advert has a new/bespoke layout and text rather than the generic signaller job blurb - they may also be adding some extra tests in addition, but this is purely speculation on my part considering what you have mentioned.

I haven't strictly answered your question, I know, but hopefully that might be of assistance. If in doubt, Google.

Hi all,
Deductive reasoning
Inductive reasoning
Numerical reasoning
Without meaning to sound rude, if you’re applying for a G9 you should at least be able to google those 3 terms without help, to find out what they are! As has been said many times, if you can’t find out a bit of basic info for yourself you’ll struggle in the job! There are so many free practises out there for these

Anyway - all 3 are multiple choice and in a similar style to the previous ones you’ve done.
Inductive reasoning is basically using the information to estimate the right answer or at least eliminate the wrong answer.
Deductive means you can definitely work out/find the answer based on the information.
Numerical is basically maths like the old ones but using more words to do the questions rather than explicitly written as sums etc.
Good luck

Edit to add: some of the tests I did were not exactly multiple choice to try and mix it up a bit, but they’re never based on existing knowledge. Like one said something like when is the meeting between John and Jim’ and you had to click it on the calendar rather than A/B/C etc.

I didn’t do them for this application, I did them back in April for a Future Opportunities intake.
I found them the same difficulty as the old style really, but there was quite a variety in the style of question. Some I found no problem and some took a lot of thought.
From memory I didn’t finish 2 of them but don’t remember which.
I must’ve done ok as I got the job!

Jackwo

Well done, I think these last set must have been similar - I rushed my last one and didn't manage to finish the last 2 questions. To be honest I am pretty good with these sort of things normally but this time I must say they were bloody hard!... Not feeling very confident but we shall see

Moon

Yep, I've applied. First one I've seen within range for a while. Shame it's a temporary one but a foot in the door is a foot in door. Best of luck to you!

As an aside, I've never, ever seen an externally advertised position at the Glasgow ROC. I can only guess that they are chock full of signallers relocated from redundant boxes, or that they have an internal applicants only recruitment policy.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
is the adjustment only for leave days taken or do you get it regardless of if you have taken leave or not?

I think it’s based on the last years leave, and your RDW worked so everyone will be different....I assume, I’m not 100% sure to be honest with you.

bouff34

I think it’s based on the last years leave, and your RDW worked so everyone will be different....I assume, I’m not 100% sure to be honest with you.
It's based on the overtime you normally earn that you lose out on when you are on leave...

So my understanding would be that if you never took any leave in the year you haven't lost out on anything so will get nothing.

Equally, if you only worked standard hours, no Sundays, no nights, then you also would qualify for none.

Those that work loads of overtime consistently and also take their full quota of leave will get the biggest adjustment.

7Paul7

It's based on the overtime you normally earn that you lose out on when you are on leave...

So my understanding would be that if you never took any leave in the year you haven't lost out on anything so will get nothing.

Equally, if you only worked standard hours, no Sundays, no nights, then you also would qualify for none.

Those that work loads of overtime consistently and also take their full quota of leave will get the biggest adjustment.
So Next year if I take all of this years leave and next years leave I will get double in 2022?

Rover77

. Very strange one. Just checked on the status of my application. It now says application withdrawn. I was expecting it to go to unsuccessful as I haven't been interviewed. I know others were interviews this week.So its gone from under consideration for assessment 2 to under consideration now to application withdrawn. Any ideas anyone

. Very strange one. Just checked on the status of my application. It now says application withdrawn. I was expecting it to go to unsuccessful as I haven't been interviewed. I know others were interviews this week.So its gone from under consideration for assessment 2 to under consideration now to application withdrawn. Any ideas anyone
Just got the email. More suitable candidate identified. Ready and waiting for the next one.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

I took all my AL, and worked shed loads of RDW to help the firm out, so hopefully I’ll get a few quid.