• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ArkUTD

Is it harder to get anywhere when the signaling job is advertised from recruitment/HR and not the actual department needing the role?

Reason I ask is I have gotten to interview twice now on normal job adverts but when applying for one with multiple locations, normally posted by HR, I get thrown out straight away. Just seems a bit odd.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

89jordanbj

Does anyone know roughly how close to the start date you get your “joining instructions?” I’m meant to start on the 17th at Westwood and haven’t heard anything yet.

TIA
When I got taken on I got informed of my signalling school place on the Wednesday, received joining instructions on the Thursday then travelled to York on the Sunday! A whirlwind of emotions that week!

T-Karmel

When I got taken on I got informed of my signalling school place on the Wednesday, received joining instructions on the Thursday then travelled to York on the Sunday! A whirlwind of emotions that week!
WOW that sounds intense. I bet you still didn't realise what's happening yet when Monday came :lol:

Tyke41

Good Evening, Can anyone tell me where the Manchester Signalling School is held and which hotel is generally used, and is parking available at the venue or hotel?? Cheers

RailNoob

Good Evening, Can anyone tell me where the Manchester Signalling School is held and which hotel is generally used, and is parking available at the venue or hotel?? Cheers
I am currently at IST in manchester its the old Manchester North PSB right next too salford crescent station, they have us up in the holiday inn manchester west! Feel free to dm if you want any more info!

Tyke41

I am currently at IST in manchester its the old Manchester North PSB right next too salford crescent station, they have us up in the holiday inn manchester west! Feel free to dm if you want any more info!
Many Thanks, I may well do that, due to start on 21st June!! Hope its going well for you..

Tyke41

Just non stop revising for my week 6 tests at the moment mate you start just after we finish!
Non stop seems to be the operative word for signalling school!!! I will DM you when I can, I think I have to had posted a number of times before being able to do so...

Gs1

Hi all,
I have been applying for signaller roles for a while, having passed the shl assessments I keep getting rejected when my application is put forward to the hiring manager. I believe I have the transferable skills, I guess it must be how I have answered the 69 application questions. Can anyone help? When answering;
Should I use the star technique and how long should my answers be? A short paragraph or a long detailed answer?
Also what is the hiring manager looking for in the answers to these questions, is it my ability to demonstrate the non technical skills required or the essential criteria for the role?
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Rockhopper

I’m really not intending to sound dismissive of your question but all the answers you could ever need are within this thread including many by real hiring managers.

MidlandsChap

Hi all,
I have been applying for signaller roles for a while, having passed the shl assessments I keep getting rejected when my application is put forward to the hiring manager. I believe I have the transferable skills, I guess it must be how I have answered the 69 application questions. Can anyone help? When answering;
Should I use the star technique and how long should my answers be? A short paragraph or a long detailed answer?
Also what is the hiring manager looking for in the answers to these questions, is it my ability to demonstrate the non technical skills required or the essential criteria for the role?

Try to get feedback from the hiring manager. You might get a rough idea from people on here but only the manager knows why they clicked reject and exactly what they are looking for.

Trackboy

Does anyone know which area is covered by Grade 8 Liverpool st IECC. I heard they are on 2 hrs on 2hrs off. Is that correct?

Defenestrate

Hi all,
Perhaps you could liaise with some others on here in a similar position to mutually check and help each other - as mentioned previously, there are lots of pointers regarding improving cv/69 Qs etc within the thread.

Try to get feedback from the hiring manager. You might get a rough idea from people on here but only the manager knows why they clicked reject and exactly what they are looking for.
Good idea in theory, but I'm not sure the hiring managers will have the time to give feedback for each unsuccessful applicant at that stage - maybe after an interview but they're still going to super busy then so it's not guaranteed.

Peterperfect

The 69 questions have gone. Well at least for some routes. Down to 4 or 5. Pass that and its a virtual assessment, psychometric tests and an interview.

Rockhopper

It’s true that grade 1 jobs only have a small number of questions, I’ve just checked on the careers web site for a grade four role and it’s still saying

“In order for your application to be progressed, you must complete the 70 pre-screening questions as this is part of the application process.”

SWTurbo

Bloody hell! I've just received my firm offer with a start at Westwood on the 17th May! Bear in mind that this is an ops apprenticeship, not a direct entry signaller role, so my first IST module is in York on the 14th of June! (As an aside, many thanks to all the posters on this thread, it was an amazing help!)

Defenestrate

Bloody hell! I've just received my firm offer with a start at Westwood on the 17th May! Bear in mind that this is an ops apprenticeship, not a direct entry signaller role, so my first IST module is in York on the 14th of June! (As an aside, many thanks to all the posters on this thread, it was an amazing help!)
Congrats!

It’s true that grade 1 jobs only have a small number of questions, I’ve just checked on the careers web site for a grade four role and it’s still saying

“In order for your application to be progressed, you must complete the 70 pre-screening questions as this is part of the application process.”

I've just applied for an internal G9 job and all 69 questions need to be completed!

C00k1e

Good Morning, This is my first post on this thread. I was wondering if anyone had a contact number for recruitment that they would be able to sent me. Reason is I was sent an email on Friday with a link to register my details with Aon for the online assessments. I have input my details and I get a message saying that I will immediately receive an email with a personal pass code, needed to access the assessments. This email has not been received as yet and I have tried numerous times on different devices but no response. I have emailed recruitment and Aon but as it’s Bank Holiday weekend had no response. Also tried calling the number on my application profile but the line is dead!! My allocated 96hrs to complete the assessments is up as of 10 AM tomorrow, 4th May, and I am concerned that I am going to miss this opportunity and I’m hoping I can phone recruitment in the morning before my window closes. If anyone can be of assistance it will certainly be greatly appreciated. Regards.

ArchangelA

Good Morning, This is my first post on this thread. I was wondering if anyone had a contact number for recruitment that they would be able to sent me. Reason is I was sent an email on Friday with a link to register my details with Aon for the online assessments. I have input my details and I get a message saying that I will immediately receive an email with a personal pass code, needed to access the assessments. This email has not been received as yet and I have tried numerous times on different devices but no response. I have emailed recruitment and Aon but as it’s Bank Holiday weekend had no response. Also tried calling the number on my application profile but the line is dead!! My allocated 96hrs to complete the assessments is up as of 10 AM tomorrow, 4th May, and I am concerned that I am going to miss this opportunity and I’m hoping I can phone recruitment in the morning before my window closes. If anyone can be of assistance it will certainly be greatly appreciated. Regards.
What job have you aplied for?

Defenestrate

Best advice would be to call on the number provided on the recruitment page, first thing (0900 onwards) on Tuesday - there should be people back in after the bank holiday weekend by then. You won't be able to contact anyone from NR recruitment before then, I wouldn't have thought.

C00k1e

Best advice would be to call on the number provided on the recruitment page, first thing (0900 onwards) on Tuesday - there should be people back in after the bank holiday weekend by then. You won't be able to contact anyone from NR recruitment before then, I wouldn't have thought.
Hi, thanks but the only contact information is a link for recruitment support, hence me asking for a phone contact. My intention was to phone first thing tomorrow but I’m struggling to find a direct phone number.
I have emailed using the link but want to be sure to get hold of someone before my deadline.

ArchangelA

Hi, thanks but the only contact information is a link for recruitment support, hence me asking for a phone contact. My intention was to phone first thing tomorrow but I’m struggling to find a direct phone number.
I have emailed using the link but want to be sure to get hold of someone before my deadline.
Are Network Rail moving away from the SHL online tests now?

C00k1e

This is my first application with Network Rail so I’m not sure of who Assessment Providers have been in the past.

Defenestrate

if you look here there is a contact number for recruitment:

"For general recruitment queries, please call our recruitment support team on 0330 855 1140. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm."

ArchangelA

This is my first application with Network Rail so I’m not sure of who Assessment Providers have been in the past.
Network Rail previously used an online psychometric test supplier called SHL and the maths and verbal reasoning tests were horrendous (in my humble opinion). You'll have to let us all know how you fared with the AON tests as I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who will take a keen interest in this subject.

C00k1e

if you look here there is a contact number for recruitment:

"For general recruitment queries, please call our recruitment support team on 0330 855 1140. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm."
Thank you, I have tried that number this morning in hope that someone was working but the line was dead...typical!! I’ll give it another go in the morning, thanks again.

Network Rail previously used an online psychometric test supplier called SHL and the maths and verbal reasoning tests were horrendous (in my humble opinion). You'll have to let us all know how you fared with the AON tests as I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who will take a keen interest in this subject.
I will be sure to let you know how I get on.