• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Can anybody confirm when the next pay day will be with NR? Just wondered from a planning point of view (My last pay day with my current employer will be on 23/05/21)

Many thanks in advance.

Trackboy

Internal query... I have got job at another signal box last September. I am still working at my current signal box not been released. Am I entitled for travel allowance?

MidlandsChap

Good idea in theory, but I'm not sure the hiring managers will have the time to give feedback for each unsuccessful applicant at that stage - maybe after an interview but they're still going to super busy then so it's not guaranteed.

Yes this is true, but even asking the question will show your enthusiasm for the position and desire to improve. Might be a little tick against your name for the next time.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Yes this is true, but even asking the question will show your enthusiasm for the position and desire to improve. Might be a little tick against your name for the next time.
Equally it might just annoy the LOM who is busy enough already without having to try to think back to exactly why they rejected one candidate out of hundreds before the interview stage. Might be a little cross against your name for the next time.

Rockhopper

They just select a reason from a drop down list. It’s not really very useful as feedback.

WoollyMammoth

Internal query... I have got job at another signal box last September. I am still working at my current signal box not been released. Am I entitled for travel allowance?
Consensus in our box is that once you have a release date from your LOM they will pay your travel if they are unable to release you on the specified date and you continue to be needed at your old location. There’s a few getting travel here.

I think you’re already getting the higher grade pay right?

edit - missing ‘you’

Last edited:

Mikesig

In a word, No.

However, if your new job is at a higher grade, you can claim the rate of pay for the higher grade 13 weeks after the closing date for applications for the job that you got or the date the post became vacant (ie. the previous signaller left) whichever is the later.

If you are eligible for claiming the higher grade whilst still in your current job you will need to submit a formal request in writing (email) to your existing LOM.

It took a couple of months to get anything when I went through this but keep pestering your current LOM, some are reluctant as it comes out of their budget. If the relevant date has passed then it should be back dated accordingly.

Defenestrate

My thoughts.
You (anyone) apply, pass the initial assessments, but don't get to the interview stage. Possibilities:
1. You could have had a great set of answers to the 69 questions and a decent CV/covering letter - but someone else's were just a little better, they had more experience etc.
2. Your answers/cv/covering letter weren't specific enough, lacked detail and didn't cover the essential criteria as advertised in the job description well enough.

If you're certain you fall into category 1, then chin up and onto the next application. I'd highly recommend that everyone assumes they are in the second category, and reviews their application appropriately - I often felt my applications were great (arrogant perhaps) but when looking back, was able to improve several areas each time.

As always, tips within the thread.

Buiadh

Hi folks, I've read a good few pages of this thread but still have a number of questions. I've applied for a job as a grade 4 signaller in East Scotland.

Is the difference between the grades due to the busyness of the signal box?

The role I've applied for is a relief signaller, I understand that I would be covering rest days, holidays etc in a number of signal boxes, is that the case? How large an area would this be? There is an allowance for this too I believe, how much would that be?

What sort of shifts should I expect?

How is promotion possible as a signaller? What is the likely career path?

The training involved I believe would be a 10 week course in Glasgow, how is the training? I read that I will be on reduced pay during training, is that just during the residential training or is it for a set period afterwards also?

Sorry for the numerous questions and thanks in advance for any help.

ffesti

Hi folks, I've read a good few pages of this thread but still have a number of questions. I've applied for a job as a grade 4 signaller in East Scotland.

The role I've applied for is a relief signaller, I understand that I would be covering rest days, holidays etc in a number of signal boxes, is that the case? How large an area would this be? There is an allowance for this too I believe, how much would that be?

The training involved I believe would be a 10 week course in Glasgow, how is the training? I read that I will be on reduced pay during training, is that just during the residential training or is it for a set period afterwards also?

I’d strongly recommend you continue reading through the thread. Everything you are asking has been covered ad nauseum

MylesHSG

Your training will be 1 grade lower than your passed out grade.

As a relief expect a majority or night shifts once you are passed out.

NoEyeDeer

Question 1 - yes

Question 2 - Relief you will get your confirmed roster on a Thursday with what your working the following week, you will cover more than 1 box, there is a difference in the “extra” you get depending on mileage, I’m quite sure 30 miles is 24% extra but don’t quote me on that.

Question 3 - shifts are a bit harder to answer without knowing what box your actually in, if you can give that info maybe a bit better information will be given.

Question 4 - Signaller jobs come up often, if your in the job for a year and see a grade 9 you fancy go for it.

Question 5 - Training in glasgow will be 10 weeks plus the “11th week” will be 1 day for your final observation (obviously if you fail it you will be back in for a resit) - we also had a few weeks before the course started as an introduction which I guess you will have. If your grade 4 you will get grade 3 pay while in training, this also includes untill your passed out your box. I’m not too sure how it works with relief, I think I read something that you need to be passed out 50% of your boxes but maybe that’s just for the extra % again don’t quote me on that.

Buiadh

Thanks for the replies folks, NoEyeDeer - It's for the Arbroath signal box.

Another question would relate to how much longer these boxes will remain operational before they're centralised. I've seen 2024 being mentioned - would that be accurate. I've also read that the signalling would be done from Inverness, is that correct also?

Many thanks again.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Thanks for the replies folks, NoEyeDeer - It's for the Arbroath signal box.

Another question would relate to how much longer these boxes will remain operational before they're centralised. I've seen 2024 being mentioned - would that be accurate. I've also read that the signalling would be done from Inverness, is that correct also?

Many thanks again.

The boxes in the Arbroath area are on eight hour shifts, 06:00 - 14:00 - 22:00. The signalling in this area isn't going anywhere for a few years at least and the latest is that it won't be going into Inverness.

MidlandsChap

Equally it might just annoy the LOM who is busy enough already without having to try to think back to exactly why they rejected one candidate out of hundreds before the interview stage. Might be a little cross against your name for the next time.

Then they can politely reply that feedback is not available and thank them for their interest in the position, that is no great hardship.

If an LOM puts a black mark against a candidate for daring to ask for feedback, then in my opinion that LOM does not have the necessary people skills to be a good manager.

Buiadh

Just an update, I completed a few of the newer AON assessments today for the G4 position, felt I did well at some and bombed others lol

I'll hear back from them by next week, so fingers crossed!

C00k1e

Just an update, I completed a few of the newer AON assessments today for the G4 position, felt I did well at some and bombed others lol

I'll hear back from them by next week, so fingers crossed!
Same here!!! Different vacancy though. Thought the last grid challenge test was tough! Wouldn’t be surprised if I didn’t pass!!

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member

Same here!!! Different vacancy though. Thought the last grid challenge test was tough! Wouldn’t be surprised if I didn’t pass!!

In the spirit of this thread and helping those who go through the process after you, would either of you be willing to describe what’s involved with the new AON tests?

Buiadh

In the spirit of this thread and helping those who go through the process after you, would either of you be willing to describe what’s involved with the new AON tests?

I hope it's ok to post this!

So, there were 5 tests total.

- "Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire": You get two statements on either side of the screen and six boxes left to right below them. You click on the boxes below to show how much you agree with the statements, clicking the box far to one side indicates you strongly agree with that statement and disagree with the one at theother side, the boxes around the middle (there's no box in the exact middle obviously) indicate you don't feel strongly one way or the other. Obviously neither statement tended to be "worse" than the other as such. I tried to go with instinct on this but some required a bit of thought.

- "Ability to Concentrate": You're looking for a letter 'E' with three dots around it. Within a box, different letters and numbers will appear with different numbers of dots and your task is to say if it is, or is not an E with three dots around it. I did ok with this, one stupid error.

- "Reaction Speed": Two boxes with various shapes in that change every second, your task is to click the button when the symbols match. Pretty simple, managed without any problems.

- "Multi-tasking Capability": You have to perform three reasonably simple tasks at once. The first task contains five or six symbols, one of these symbols will be either a '<' or a'>' and you have to click on the corresponding arrow below it before the little timer runs out. Second task is a simple maths problem with five digits to add or subtract and an answer, you have to say if it's correct or incorrect. Third task is a row of six or so numbers from zero to nine and you have to say if the row contains a duplicate number or not. I felt I did ok at this, I made a few maths errors but otherwise felt it went alright.

-"gridChallenge": Three tasks each with three levels. You are shown a lot of random dots, one will glow which you are to memorise. You are then given a challenge that will vary between checking if the pattern is symmetrical, two shapes that you have to say if they're rotation copies of the other (some are mirrored too), and one where you join lines. Between each of these challenges you are shown another dot on the grid that is glowing. On level one you have to memorise three dot locations, level two has four dots and level three has five dots and enter them in the right order that they were shown to you to complete the level. This one was by far the most challenging and I know I made a few mistakes here.

Last edited:

Csb362

- "Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire": You get two statements on either side of the screen and six boxes left to right below them. You click on the boxes below to show how much you agree with the statements, clicking the box far to one side indicates you strongly agree with that statement and disagree with the one at theother side, the boxes around the middle (there's no box in the exact middle obviously) indicate you don't feel strongly one way or the other. Obviously neither statement tended to be "worse" than the other as such. I tried to go with instinct on this but some required a bit of thought.

- "Ability to Concentrate": You're looking for a letter 'E' with three dots around it. Within a box, different letters and numbers will appear with different numbers of dots and your task is to say if it is, or is not an E with three dots around it. I did ok with this, one stupid error.

- "Reaction Speed": Two boxes with various shapes in that change every second, your task is to click the button when the symbols match. Pretty simple, managed without any problems.

- "Multi-tasking Capability": You have to perform three reasonably simple tasks at once. The first task contains five or six symbols, one of these symbols will be either a '<' or a'>' and you have to click on the corresponding arrow below it before the little timer runs out. Second task is a simple maths problem with five digits to add or subtract and an answer, you have to say if it's correct or incorrect. Third task is a row of six or so numbers from zero to nine and you have to say if the row contains a duplicate number or not. I felt I did ok at this, I made a few maths errors but otherwise felt it went alright.

-"gridChallenge": Three tasks each with three levels. You are shown a lot of random dots, one will glow which you are to memorise. You are then given a challenge that will vary between checking if the pattern is symmetrical, two shapes that you have to say if they're rotation copies of the other (some are mirrored too), and one where you join lines. Between each of these challenges you are shown another dot on the grid that is glowing. On level one you have to memorise three dot locations, level two has four dots and level three has five dots and enter them in the right order that they were shown to you to complete the level. This one was by far the most challenging and I know I made a few mistakes here.
As someone just at the start of the recruitment process awaiting hopefully an invite to take these tests this help is invaluable, thank you very much.

C00k1e

Very accurate description of the tests. I think I would say that you had a pretty similar experience to me with your tests too!!
I found the Aon website to be an excellent prep tool, a link is sent with your invite, as there are short videos that accompany each test to enable you to familiarise with layouts etc

Hope this is of some use.

Fingers crossed Buiadh, and good luck!

Csb362

Very accurate description of the tests. I think I would say that you had a pretty similar experience to me with your tests too!!
I found the Aon website to be an excellent prep tool, a link is sent with your invite, as there are short videos that accompany each test to enable you to familiarise with layouts etc

Another very valuable piece of advice, thank you very much

Buiadh

Cheers pal, you too!