• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Qball

Not specifically certain regarding the particular grades, but the workstations cover:
  • Sheffield WS - Sheffield station. Totley Tunnel East (exclusive), Dronfield (inclusive) and Tapton Junction (exclusive), and Meadowhall (inclusive)
  • Rotherham WS - Hexthorpe Junction (exclusive), Bolton-Upon-Dearne (inclusive) Tapton Junction (exclusive) Woodburn (exclusive) Beighton Junc (exclusive) and Meadowhall (exclusive). Barrow Hill, Masborough and Rotherham Central
I think they're the grade 8 workstations.

Grade 5 is

Halifax
Bowesfield
Brough(soon)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

H24

Would someone be kind enough to tell me which Grade 9 positions are usually available in the North West? Just need to have an idea of the possibilities around Manchester.

Trothy

Would someone be kind enough to tell me which Grade 9 positions are usually available in the North West? Just need to have an idea of the possibilities around Manchester.

I'm pretty sure there is only one 9 in the North West and that's Manchester Piccadilly PSB (Station panel). A few grade 10 SSM jobs in MROC, Picc PSB and Sandhills. Other than that the highest is an 8 (quite a few of these around)

H24

I'm pretty sure there is only one 9 in the North West and that's Manchester Piccadilly PSB (Station panel). A few grade 10 SSM jobs in MROC, Picc PSB and Sandhills. Other than that the highest is an 8 (quite a few of these around)

Thanks, much appreciated. Counting my chickens before they hatch but always great to know what the situation is before committing to anything.

Mikesig

Hey does anyone know what areas the grade 5 workstation at sheffield sub roc covers please? Thank you.

Grade 5 workstations in Sheffield Sub ROC are:

Halifax
Hartlepool
Bowesfield

Middlesbrough workstation will be going into the Grade 5 link in the next few months at which time the current Bowesfield and Hartlepool workstations will be combined onto a single workstation.

Also in the Sheffield Sub ROC are:

Grade 4 link - Brough workstation
Grade 7 link - Huddersfield and North Lincs workstations
Grade 8 link - Sheffield and Rotherham workstations

Amy1090

Grade 5 workstations in Sheffield Sub ROC are:

Halifax
Hartlepool
Bowesfield

Middlesbrough workstation will be going into the Grade 5 link in the next few months at which time the current Bowesfield and Hartlepool workstations will be combined onto a single workstation.

Also in the Sheffield Sub ROC are:

Grade 4 link - Brough workstation
Grade 7 link - Huddersfield and North Lincs workstations
Grade 8 link - Sheffield and Rotherham workstations
Great, thank you that’s really helpful :)

godfreycomplex

Established Member
That is correct
Outside of London and the SE IIRC the only signaller grade 9s are 1 link each at Piccadilly, WSSC Springburn, WMSC Saltley (and what’s left of New Street) , Edinburgh IECC and 1 perhaps 2 links at York ROC.

Highlandspring

Established Member
That is correct
Outside of London and the SE IIRC the only signaller grade 9s are 1 link each at Piccadilly, WSSC Springburn, WMSC Saltley (and what’s left of New Street) , Edinburgh IECC and 1 perhaps 2 links at York ROC.
I thought Yoker got a 9? I don’t get their rosters so I might well be wrong on that.

Mikesig

That is correct
Doncaster PSB is also grade 9

89jordanbj

Hi guys!

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows what the chances are for someone on the reserves list to get a call up or offer?

Thanks!
I was on a reserve list following an interview. I got offered a position as a pool signaller a few months later when a signalling school position became available. It was a 12 month FTC. I then applied for permanent positions whilst at school and secured one before leaving. I have since moved on to a relief role more local and absolutely love it. Good luck.

Apick

Hiya was wondering if anyone had applied for the grade 7 signaller role at Cambridge?

I applied and got through the application stage and then got invited to do the psych test online which I completed.

I then received an email less than 12 hours later stating ‘ Thank you for attending your Signaller interview and for the time and effort you've put into your application for Signaller Grade 7 Cambridge Your application was competitive but, on this occasion, we are unable to proceed with it. You have some of the core skills required from all our signallers so please don't be put off from applying again.’

I am a little confused as I haven’t been invited or attended an interview?

Has this been sent in error? Or have I been unsuccessful?

thanks In advance

ButtonMoon

I received an unsuccessful email for a similar role, emailed to ask for some feedback, and it turns out the email had been sent in error. That's not to say that yours is the same - it could be that your aptitude/psych results tests weren't what they were after - but it's 100% worth a polite email to ask for some feedback.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hiya was wondering if anyone had applied for the grade 7 signaller role at Cambridge?

I applied and got through the application stage and then got invited to do the psych test online which I completed.

I then received an email less than 12 hours later stating ‘ Thank you for attending your Signaller interview and for the time and effort you've put into your application for Signaller Grade 7 Cambridge Your application was competitive but, on this occasion, we are unable to proceed with it. You have some of the core skills required from all our signallers so please don't be put off from applying again.’

I am a little confused as I haven’t been invited or attended an interview?

Has this been sent in error? Or have I been unsuccessful?

thanks In advance

I would say you have unfortunately been unsuccessful due to this phrase “but, on this occasion, we are unable to proceed with it.” Sounds like a template email gone a bit wrong but you could check and find out.

On the plus side you’ve shown strong skills for a Grade 7 job which is pretty good going!

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I think "SE" includes TVSC,
It does indeed.
Didcot’s 40 mins from Paddington, they’ve got rock salmon in the chip shops and there’s an M&S food hall between Kaspa’s desserts and Travis Perkins.
How much more southern can you get?

Good afternoon all,

Would someone be able to help and tell me what grades the different workstations are at the East Kent Signalling Centre in Gillingham are?

Many thanks

ArchangelA

I was on a reserve list following an interview. I got offered a position as a pool signaller a few months later when a signalling school position became available. It was a 12 month FTC. I then applied for permanent positions whilst at school and secured one before leaving. I have since moved on to a relief role more local and absolutely love it. Good luck.
Do any Network Rail managers/staff on this form happen to know why NR advertise some signaller positions as permanent, and others at 2yr or 12 m fixed term contracts? I assume that as soon as you are employed and start signalling school, then you can apply for any job going so as not to become unemployed after the 12m 2yr time is up?

Defenestrate

Do any Network Rail managers/staff on this form happen to know why NR advertise some signaller positions as permanent, and others at 2yr or 12 m fixed term contracts? I assume that as soon as you are employed and start signalling school, then you can apply for any job going so as not to become unemployed after the 12m 2yr time is up?
Having spoken to some management types, I think there are several reasons for the fixed term contracts, such as:
1. There may be a gap for that amount of time at a particular location that needs filling for reasons such as Maternity, illness, staff secondment etc.
2. The "fixed term" element might be unofficially seen as a probationary period before the job becomes permanent.
3. The recruitment is into a generic signaller pool for the area, and this fixed term element gives you time to apply for and secure a specific position.

ArchangelA

Having spoken to some management types, I think there are several reasons for the fixed term contracts, such as:
1. There may be a gap for that amount of time at a particular location that needs filling for reasons such as Maternity, illness, staff secondment etc.
2. The "fixed term" element might be unofficially seen as a probationary period before the job becomes permanent.
3. The recruitment is into a generic signaller pool for the area, and this fixed term element gives you time to apply for and secure a specific position.
Thanks.Seems nonsensical to me to recruit in this way, bearing in mind how much time, effort and money is invested in the candidate. Bearing in mind the 12 month FTC doesn't give much time then to wait for a job given that sig school takes up 10/12 weeks of that time then however long spent on the job passing out , but I guess they have their reasons for working this way.
Does anyone know of a case where a trained signaller on a FTC has NOT managed to find another job by the end of their fixed term contract?

H24

Pleased to say that I was offered the Grade 9 in TVSC. First application in Network Rail and this forum has been very helpful. Thank you to all the contributors of this thread.

Devonish

Does Network rail allow re-location for signallers now? I've no real family/house ties to my current area and am happy to move to different parts of the UK for a new job/career, but it says on NR signaller adverts:

"We are looking for Signaller apprentices for the specific locations named in the advert. Our fatigue management standard means we're unable to accept any applications from candidates not already living within a 60 minute commute time of the location(s) they wish to be considered against"

Qball

Does Network rail allow re-location for signallers now? I've no real family/house ties to my current area and am happy to move to different parts of the UK for a new job/career, but it says on NR signaller adverts:

"We are looking for Signaller apprentices for the specific locations named in the advert. Our fatigue management standard means we're unable to accept any applications from candidates not already living within a 60 minute commute time of the location(s) they wish to be considered against"
There was a signaller on my line who travelled 1hr 30mins each way